Need Advice, Again, Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice, Again, Please.

I ordered 3 different strains of feminize seeds from Herbies. Two I am, extremely, comfortable growing outside Red Dwarf and Kalashnikov Original. Doing further research I am wondering if Speedy Chili is not something to grow outside in a Canadian climate. When I read about Speedy Chile my attention was drawn to the short flowering time. However maybe it does not get hot enough, here, and, maybe I should table those seeds until I learn to grow with lights. This year I am growing everything outside to save $. Also, does anyone, here, use manure in their soil? If so, which type? https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/femi...flowering.html

How far north are you? That seems like a critical question, but more for length of growing season than temperature.
    "Outdoor gardeners will also appreciate Speedy Chile because the plant will usually be ready for harvest one or two weeks before other strains."
    That seems like a good thing for a long days, short growth cycle.
    I don't think it's so much the temperature that matters, it's the length and intensity of sunlight. If you plant you plant as soon as "all danger of frost is past" as it says on seed packets, and in a place that gets full sun all day, they should do well. If you you have a really late-staying winter, you can start indoors and move outside. I do think that autos are probably a good bet for the far north (where they evolved, according to my understanding.)
    Last edited by DoctorJohnson; 03-24-2018, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorJohnson View Post
      How far north are you? That seems like a critical question, but more for length of growing season than temperature.
      "Outdoor gardeners will also appreciate Speedy Chile because the plant will usually be ready for harvest one or two weeks before other strains."
      That seems like a good thing for a long days, short growth cycle.
      I don't think it's so much the temperature that matters, it's the length and intensity of sunlight. If you plant you plants as soon as "all danger of frost is passed" as it says on seed packets, and in a place that gets full sun all day, they should do well. If you you have a really late-staying winter, you can start indoors and move outside. I do think that autos are probably a good bet for the far north (where they evolved, according to my understanding.)

Comment

Looks like a good strain. I mix a little composted cow manure into my soil before the grow, figure a bit of cheap Nitrogen is ok at the bigening. Lots of other types of manure that can be good to, steer manure seems like a bad one though,way to many antibiotics and a nasty environment in a feedyard.
        I'll bet it does great up there, if it gets to cold at the start of Vedge, you could put some floating row covers over them at night, I have friends that swear by those things. Am jealous of being able to grow outside!!!
        Organic Soil,
        with molasses,
        In a Greenhouse with,
        Redneck engineering.

Comment

• Flowerpower71
          Flowerpower71 commented
          Editing a comment
          I am certainly investing in those. Thank-you, for the advice!

You're only 47 degrees north? That's practically the tropics, baby! Just get the seeds in the ground as soon as danger of freezing is past and in a place with sun all day long.

I'm at 47 degrees north and I planted an auto on June 1st (because the clouds don't clear here until then) last year and harvested 10 weeks later on August 10. It only got sun from sunrise until about 1 PM, so it didn't get very frosty at all. If you can get it full sun from at least 4 hours before solar noon to 4 hours after (or longer) that would be ideal. Cannabis loves and needs lots of light to do well. If you can plant it with a full southern exposure and something to reflect light to the north (like on the south side of your house), that gives you bonus reflected light and heat. Perfect soil, perfect watering, and perfect fertilizing all help too and those are all under your control. Do keep an eye out for bugs and get those under control fast. 3 strains should help to spread your bets. Good luck!

PS: Do take into account that the longest day is about June 21, so the month or month and a half on either side of that will give you the longest days--so planting from mid May to June 1 for fast-growing autos. Photos should probably go in as soon as you can. I like the idea of a fast-flowering photoperiod plant. Sounds perfect for you.
        Last edited by DoctorJohnson; 03-24-2018, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• Flowerpower71
          Flowerpower71 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank-you, Doc Johnson. This season I hope for a bountiful harvest.

• Canuck147
          Canuck147 commented
          Editing a comment
          Longest day is July 22=- summer solstice.

> Thank-you, Doc Johnson. This season I hope for a bountiful harvest.
        Good luck and big harvests!

Comment

Bat guano is a popular manure and is the best. Earthworm castings are awesome as well. Seabird droppings is gaining availability and that stuff is awesome. Chicken crumble is super cheap and easy to find and that works well.

Comment

• KingKush
            KingKush commented
            Editing a comment
            I use bat guano and earthworm castings when found in one of my Bloom products (Buddha Bloom by Roots Organics)

• DrPhoton
            DrPhoton commented
            Editing a comment
            Funny you mention bat guano, i use it too. I realised the difficulty in soluble phosphorus and discovered bat guano a good solution. I could not find a whole lot on the science but as far as i could tell, it was quite soluble no ?

I make my soil with coir, perlite and compost for micronutrients. For the macronutrients i make it myself using soluble salts, but it seemed phosphorus is pretty hard to make soluble and good soil availability in salt form ? With rock phosphate being the dominant source for phosphorus but requires some heavy processing to make soluble. Monoamoniam phosphate looks quite good so i might try that next time, but i do like my phosphorus form guano.

I just finished a book on plant photosynthesis so i might start looking at some chemistry and soil science books.

> I use bat guano and earthworm castings when found in one of my Bloom products (Buddha Bloom by Roots Organics)
          I'm all 4-bottle chemical mix, but I'd love to mix up a batch of organic super soil someday. My brother used to teach school and have his students out doing French Intensive Agriculture (whatever that is) with chicken manure pushed right up the level that any more would start to nitrogen-burn the plants. Sounds like a hoot. Big yields too.

Comment

• KingKush
            KingKush commented
            Editing a comment
            DoctorJohnson
            We definitely share the same desires about supersoil. I despise the obligatory purchase to fox farm every time I buy 4 or 5 bags of soil each crop: clearly there is a better way. The hard part is just how easy but effective it is. Its grown dank for years and years which makes it difficult to change. But change is necessary, it's the chaos to our order.

*flashbacks* to push walk spreading "chicken crumble" (dried and bagged chicken poo) across the greens in late spring with all that sun and mositure it really impregnates quite an overwhelming smell into the nostrils....

Mushroom manure is the one to use.
          ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
          Mars Hydro
          Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X