Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First auto grow. LED veg vs bloom?

Hello everyone,

First post in the site! Love all the info and input from people reading through everything. Currently growing two autos my first plants ever. As legalization becomes closer and closer to reality in Canada I thought I would give growing a shot so I would have a supply ready instead of buying it from the government.

My wife suffers from neck pain so I decided to so with CBD heavy strains for the first grow. I placed my first order went Seedsman and received appx 30 seeds after getting all the freebies and using bitcoin.

Currently in the tent I have one fast eddy from RQS and one CBD white widow from Dinafeb. Just started the germination process two other seeds as well. One biodiesel from advanced seeds and CBD crack from fast buds.

Current set up:
    2x4x5 tent
    2-600W full spectrum LED. One Morsen and one Maxbrhydro
    4”in-line fan with carbon filter
    GH flora series
    fabric pots
    organic soil with added perlite

my questions are:
    do people grow with both veg and bloom always on or do you let plants veg under veg for a certain amount of time before clicking both on?

Once i I click both on do I have do worry about anything? Light Further from plants? Change amount of light? Light is currently 18/6

Also, if I was to grow a photo plant at the same time and dropped the light to 12/12 for flowering, could I still grow autos? I guess my question is would turning the lights down to 12/12 effect my autos?

Thanks

PS what’s wrong with my tomatoes? Leafs are turning yellow

I usually use only my veg switch on for the first 4-6 weeks, then switch to both on. Sounds like you have plenty of light ( plenty). Follow manufactures recommendation on height till you get em figured out. 12/12 light schedule would just result in a lower harvest amount than a higher light period but shouldn't hurt the plant otherwise.
    Your plant may be to close to light, yellowing on top, could be overwatering, 2nd picture top part of leaf looks rotted. But no way to tell for sure with a few pics and limited information.
    Last edited by Dutchman1; 03-23-2018, 09:24 PM.

Comment

• Kevingm1987
      Kevingm1987 commented
      Editing a comment
      That middle one is the stupid tomato plant that i can’t keep alive for some reason. I will see if I can take some better photos of my two plants. Don’t rewlly have a green thumb so everything is trial and error. Just transplanted to bigger pots and hoping to get a watering schedule down.

You can use both veg and bloom throughout the whole grow with no problems, however in early stages of growth when the canopy is not completely filled. It would be better to use just the vegging lights or dimming features so you can bring the lights closer without damaging levels of light intensity. That way light is not wasted from reflection losses.
    Written Articles:
    Light Metric Systems
    Using Light Efficiently
    The Light Cycle Debate
    Environment Conditions
    Grow Light Technologies
    How To Compare Grow Lights
    To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
    Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Comment

• DrPhoton
      DrPhoton commented
      Editing a comment
      Using just veg is fine for early growth, when the canopy starts to fill you can then start thinking about adding bloom with it. How many plants do you have ?

• Kevingm1987
      Kevingm1987 commented
      Editing a comment
      Currently in the tent there is 2 cannabis and 4 tomato. I just put two more seeds in jiffy pelts and once they pop I will make room for them. Remove at least one tomato most likely. Always planned to transplant tomatoes outside but might of planted them a little early for that.

• DrPhoton
      DrPhoton commented
      Editing a comment
      You dont want to be wasting more light than you need, start with just one light on veg and when the canopy starts to fill then think about adding more light.

Have fun

Wait until you see the preflowers then turn on your bloom light and leave everything turned on. And turn your lights on longer - like 20/4 some guys even run them 24/7. So if you go like that then you can rule out any photos. Grow em in your backyard - start em in your tent then move outside in June - summer solstice will flip em.
    Good luck growing.
    ​​​​​
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Kevingm1987
      Kevingm1987 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info. Thinking I will bump it up to 20/4 shortly. There about 3 weeks old on this photo expected a little more growth but letting the plants do their thing. Unfortunately where I live I wouldn’t have the option of ever moving things outside. Maybe sometime in my life time...

Thats a lot of light for your space. Be careful not to burn you plants.

Comment

• Kevingm1987
      Kevingm1987 commented
      Editing a comment
      I did this because I read that maximum coverage during flowering is 2x2 so now I have 2 - 2x2 areas covered. Would it be better to run only bloom on both lights once I switch over? Don’t want to burn the plants. Each mode on each light is only 300w. If I have both on that’s when it gets to 600w from what I understand

• Dutchman1
      Dutchman1 commented
      Editing a comment
      No, you want the full spectrum during flower. Just be cautious of the height of the lights and dont go closer than the manufacturer recommends and maybe even a little further back till you see how they do.
      You have them on bloom switch now correct?

• Kevingm1987
      Kevingm1987 commented
      Editing a comment
      Currently lights are about 20” above plants. Right now I only have veg on. Plants are currently about 3 weeks old I think. Can’t remember the exact date I planted them. This is my first grow ever and didn’t keep a journal. I’m pretty sure I planted around March 1st. I just put two other seeds into jiffy pellets as well on Friday and will move them to the tent once they sprout. Still debating which to switch over to both veg and bloom on

20 inches should be ok with just veg switch on but I run mine a little higher at that age like 24 inches even with just veg. Are the leaves reaching up for the light or curling down or away?

Comment

• Kevingm1987
      Kevingm1987 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just added up to the minute photos in the post. Fast eddy leaves don’t look like they are curling either way and the white widow has the slightest up curl, barely noticeable.

White widow

Comment

Fast eddy

Comment

There young, they dont always do that at that age unless there really pissed off (curling down) or really happy ( pointing up ) LOL. They look a little pale but I wouldnt worry about it yet. Might be bright light your shining on em.

Comment

• Kevingm1987
          Kevingm1987 commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it’s the flash of the camera. When I checked everything looked a healthy green. I pulled the light up just a tad, appx 22” from the top of plant at the moment. Being my first grow ever I didn’t plan on doing any LST training but may have to now. Don’t know what the final height of the plants will be but a little concerned my lights may get to close. Even if i bent it over once or twice it may do better than growing straight up. Just want the first grow to be a success! Currently still on 1/4 strength nutros but may bump that up to 1/2 for next feed

You know you can gain a little height on lights by not using the wire that comes with them. The right way is to use threaded rod thru the holes or you can just do the lazy route like I did.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Dutch, Good idea, that saved you alot of room. I don't understand why they can't send decent hangers with the lights. I can't ever use mine, unless I get a taller tent, lol
          I'm gonna try your way.

• Kevingm1987
          Kevingm1987 commented
          Editing a comment
          Decided to try some LST. Posted some pics below

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X