Should I re-plant these or wait ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I re-plant these or wait ?

I have 13 plants planted about a month ago and are starting to get root bound I believe , a few of the plants where planted a week later and a little behind . Thinking of putting them in 5 gallon fabric pots . I realize the stress of re-potting , so should I move them now or wait another week or so ?

I would re pot now. It can be stressful but they will thank you for giving them a proper home. Make sure you soak the medium in the new pot so roots don't have to search for water. You can cut that pot down 2 sides and place it in the new one...think that will reduce some stress.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

Woah roots through the bottom? Do you leave these pots in standing water? Definitely time for a transplant. My last harvested plant had a tangled rockhard root ball in a 3gal fabric pot but still none through the bottom or sides. I thought it was root bound... maybe not after seeing this
      Setup
      4’x4’x6.6’
      600W MH
      2x innova 19w full spec led
      175cfm fan, can 33 filter
      8gal DIY reservoir/ hydro system

Comment

Not in standing water but in a plastic container to help keep things clean . Hate to plant new seeds in any bigger container ... but hate to re-pot small plants any sooner than need be . Have some 5/7 gallon pots ordered now . Also just noticed we had the sides of the pot rolled over , maybe roots couldn't go sideways so they went down ?

Comment

I use these. They are about 2-3” high and a drip saucer under them. $3.99 at hardware store
          Setup
          4’x4’x6.6’
          600W MH
          2x innova 19w full spec led
          175cfm fan, can 33 filter
          8gal DIY reservoir/ hydro system

Comment

• BlueBudz
            BlueBudz commented
            Editing a comment
            7gal pots hang over and I just use a bigger saucer. I’ve been told you must elevate fabric pots. So I just do lol

• Chefbjy
            Chefbjy commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't think it's necessary for risers but it won't hurt either. May help prevent mold if saucers aren't drained properly. I'm just using saucers the added height is too much for my grow space. I use a shop vac to get rid of run off...even lifted pots to see if they are still soggy but the pots dry out fast.

• Dutchman1
            Dutchman1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice !

Thanks for the pic's ! I wondered if fabric plant pots shouldn't be elevated .

Comment

• BlueBudz
            BlueBudz commented
            Editing a comment
            No problem. I’m no pro but I’m here to help as best as I can

No expert here, either, but I thought I'd pass along some advice: Don't use fabric pots until they're the last home for your plants. Root damage always occurs when re-potting from fabric pots, as you can see in your second photo-- roots are going to be torn off and broken. I know all the stuff about more air to the roots, etc., but there's a price to pay later...

Comment

• Chefbjy
            Chefbjy commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree it's so much easier to transplant from plastic to fabric.

You don't have to remove the old smart pot. You can just bury it in a bigger one, and your roots will grow right through.
          Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

• Dutchman1
            Dutchman1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Never heard of that. Not doubting you, just never heard of it.

• DingusKhan
            DingusKhan commented
            Editing a comment
            What's funny is that I learned it from a YouTube video by "Dutchman's medical marijuana grow", and for the longest time, I wondered if you were him. He called his method "hydrosoil", where he would start in 3gal of Coco for the speed of hydroponic, and then set those bags in soil for flavor.

I did it last year outdoors, and when they were done, I unwrapped them, and the roots did grow through.

• Dutchman1
            Dutchman1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting.

One reason to elevate fabric pot's, is to keep air on all sides of the pot, the air is what prevents the roots from growing through like that. I started using the plastic beer cups, like people play beer pong and flip cup with, they are relatively cheap, deep enough for a good long tap root, and plants slide out really well do to the conical shape. You can sanitize in between grows, and get at least 2, maybe 3 uses before the recycling bin. Just have to dole the water out at first by the tablespoon, so they can dry out enough to have good air to there roots.
          Organic Soil,
          with molasses,
          In a Greenhouse with,
          Redneck engineering.

Comment

• BlueBudz
            BlueBudz commented
            Editing a comment
            This is also my understanding of fabric pots.

I've had a little different experience with the plastic cups so we went to the fabric with the logic we can leave them in there longer and have a bigger /hardier plant to transplant . But we are going to figure out a way to elevate .

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X