Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What ec scale do nutrient manufacturers use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! What ec scale do nutrient manufacturers use?

i can’t seem to find what scale they are measuring the ppm on. Seems like you could really mess things up if you refer to a different scale then they refer to but how do you know? If anyone has some insight please let me know.
    Setup
    4’x4’x6.6’
    600W MH
    2x innova 19w full spec led
    175cfm fan, can 33 filter
    8gal DIY reservoir/ hydro system

This might give some insight if you haven't read it already...
    Premium Certified Organic Planting Media (Soil), Amendments, Nutrients that are optimized to produce higher yields, richer plants and fruits and high quality products whether you grow tomatoes, flowers, hemp, or other fruits and vegetables. Products are hand-crafted in the So. Oregon Emerald Triangle growing region.
    "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
    5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
    600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
    Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
    400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
    ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
    13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

• BlueBudz
      BlueBudz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that, unfortunately my nutrients are not on that list. (Dutch Nutrient Formula) I’m starting to wonder if I should change. But I bought the big jugs to save money in the future😣

To convert PPM to the EC measurement shown, just multiply by two: 1000 PPM = 2000 uS/cm.

They are giving the measurements in both PPM and microsiemens per centimeter (which is rare--millisiemens per centimeter, which gives numbers 1000 times lower, is much more common).

The measurements given are just two different ways of stating the same thing, which is how much electricity is flowing through the salty fertilizer mix between the two pins of your meter.

I've gotta say those numbers look high--like too concentrated. I would suggest definitely going with the rule of starting at half the recommended strength.
    Last edited by DoctorJohnson; 03-07-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• BlueBudz
      BlueBudz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks DoctorJohnson but I’m still confused at the scale their using. Is it EC x500 or EC x700. I have a Bluelab Guardian meter it measures both just need to know what scale to set to obtain accurate readings to compare with my feeding guide.

The PPM scale you almost always see is based on dissolved table salt, which is EC x500.

The article Rosetta Stoned linked to explains the different scales (which can be confusing--I wish someone would decide on just one and stick with it.)

Here's a conversion chart from Blue Lab: https://www.bluelab.com/knowledge-base-files/Conductivity-Conversion-Chart Note that just to keep things confusing, the chart uses milliSiemens to measure EC, not microSiemens, so the EC numbers in the chart are 1/1000th of what's on your package.

Comment

If you use the 500 it's 1000 ppm if you use the 700 it's 1400 ppm both reading 2000 EC. They give you both scales
      "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
      5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
      600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
      Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
      400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
      ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
      13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

• BlueBudz
        BlueBudz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you both, I thought they were suggesting a range of 1000-1400ppm. I do understand how it works just strange that they don’t specify the scale of units.

i made a post exactly about that.. let me look for it

Comment

here it is, scroll down to find the charts for both nutrients and meters https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...veryone-ec-ppm

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X