Stealth Grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stealth Grow

So I want to mask the smell of my buds, but my question is, how? This is my first grow so I don't know how much smell is a factor (obviously genetics come into play, from what I've heard Northern Lights is a good one, but what about Sour D and Strawberry Cough?) I know that a scrubber is the golden standard but to be completely honest, I'm not looking to dish out much more money than what I already have, plus I don't want to go through the hassle of setting it up. What about ona gel? I was heavily considering it but I don't know how well it works, given the strains I want to grow. Anybody have any tips or experiences with trying to cover up smells without a scrubber?

Nothing works like scrubber! Do it right or pay the piper!

Comment

There are some cool homemade designs online using easy to find cheap components. Ive never tested one out given my living conditions um....u growing in a small space? Like a small grow box?

Comment

An exhaust fan and filter is your best bet. Flowering in weeks 6-9+ are a real challenge, but just wait until the harvest. Everyone will know. Covering up the odor is pretty tough. Last resort - Ona spray and gel outside your grow area...

Comment

It's seriously worth the investment to dish out the money for a carbon filter/scrubber. I was literally the same way, I was looking for easy DIY homemade filters and honestly, its worth it to spend the extra 50 dollars or whatever it might be to buy the filter. I dont have anything fancy, but it works so perfectly! Especially when i was growing in a place that wasn't exactly legal lol I am now! but not everybody has that option.. Best of luck! Looking forward to future responses (: also, here is what i have, incase this helps https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          Last edited by Wattze; 10-03-2016, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Here's where I got mine. Cheap and gets the job done. Kit comes with small fan, carbon scrubber w/sleeve, and length of duct with clamp. Best bang for your buck.

Comment

Odor absorbing gels like Ona and Natural Magic (available at home Depot) will work, but use with caution. Unlike air "fresheners", absorbing gels don't "mask" the smell. They actually attach themselves to odors and the molecular level and that is why they are so effective. The downside is, if you use them in the grow room, the molecules will attach themselves to your buds with a high possibility of tainting your buds. Don't bother asking how I know this, lol. They will work well to absorb odors in the adjacent room or outside the grow tent, but I wouldn't leave them in a tent for very long if you feel the need. Plus, you will need several to do the job especially with a reek-y strain. Carbon filter air scrubbing is the only real solution. Kits available on Amazon for $100-$150.

Comment

If you are growing in a prohibition state, do yourself a favor and spend the $200 for a decent scrubber and exhaust setup. It'll take an afternoon and a little mechanical aptitude, but it's quite easy and you'll be happy you did.

If you're not in a prohibition state and you're "legal" then who cares? But I assume one or both of those conditions are not met.

Comment

thanks for all the responses guys, you've definitely helped me make up my mind. now my only question is, how should i set it up? as far as with the exhaust fan and all of that stuff, including where to exhaust it to, because i cant just exhaust it back into my room can i? it has to be out of a window right?

Comment

I grow in my utility/storage room in my basement. It's cooler than the rest of the house all year long. I exhaust right back into the room which helps keep it a bit warmer. In the winter I have to close the door or it will drop to low 60's. Great for finishing temp but a bit cool for other times.

Only concern I had was the "freshness" of the air. No problems though.

Comment

I have grown in a self-contained grow box equipped with a fan/filter setup. My problem was odor during drying time. I solved the problem with country boy engineering. One 5 gallon bucket, a pice of pvc pipe, a small electric fan and a bag of charcoal. Find a fan that will fit 4" pvc pipe. Cut hole in bucket lid to fit pipe/fan. Pipe should not touch bottom of bucket. When assembled, a fan blowing through a pipe surrounded by charcoal in a 5 gal. bucket. It takes 2 of these to keep the smell in check. When they become less effective, replace charcoal. I use regular piggy wiggly charcoal. You can buy the more expensive filter grade charcoal and it will last longer, but for my needs at this time the store brand works.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X