Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hermies - Indoor feminized plants

Hi there all.
    New on the site and on my first indoor grow.
    Just discovered at least three of my 9 plants are hermies. (one did not germinate). They are now outdoor far away from the grow room.
    My question is can they survive outside and most importantly if I am careful is it possible to pick off the new growth balls and still end up bud to smoke.
    We have power outages and surges (going through light bulbs as a result). I think that may be why my expensive feminized plants are doing this.
    They are all absolutely beautiful and healthy.

PS .
    Power is still on and off should I move them all outdoors to prevent further Hermies.
    Thanks. All input would be most helpful. Growing can be quite lonely when disaster strikes.

I've been growing a strain the last few months that Hermies and makes ball sacks but I let them stay in the room and just pick off all the ones you can see. It seems to only be on the lowermost growth and not all over the plant and I just am careful not to blow too much air through those plants to avoid blowing pollen.

Even those plants had only a seed or two out of multiple ounces of great bud. Hermie plants still can produce awesome buds so don't fret, they can still make a good harvest for you.

Its never lonely on GWE, a growing friend will always be here!

Comment

Answer to the move outside question. I would think a cheap fix for the light issue would be to first off make sure they get a solid 12 hours of continuous darkness, during their light period I would hang an LED battery powered lantern or a few flashlights in the tent. Just something to make sure they know day vs night. I know I’ve smoked plenty of seeds over the years and I have some great green crack right now that I’ve found 4 pretty mature seeds in. I’d think losing 1/3rd of your plants will hurt more than a few seeds. Especially if they are later in their flowering
      48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
      600w mh/hps
      32”x32”x63” veg tent
      viparspectra PAR 450 led
      FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
      5 gallon Smart Pots
      Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
      Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

Apparently you are in the NE so I would say no they will not survive outside. Many freezing temperatures to come yet this season. This human hermie is a pretty innocuous creature, and not to be feared. The etymology of the term "bag seed" comes from a time when most weed came with included seeds, and you actually got high with it. So some seeds are not the end of the world. I am curious as to when the term sensimilla (sic) also sinsemilla was first employed. The Spanish influence of cannabis cultivation resulted in the creation of this term, but when did it come into common usage?

Comment

Thanks for your awesome encouragement.
          We still buy baggies of weed with seeds. So if thats what I get its still cheaper than buying.
          I am in the Southern Hemisphere and avg temps are between 16*c and 30*c still. The 3 are now outside and are still happy little hermies. Picking off balls.!!!
          I also have a beautiful outdoor grow. Unfortunately there is a street HPS lamp that shines on the 40% shadecloth house that they are growing through, I mean IN.
          (another TOO TALL mistake). They too are in pre Flower and showing themselves slowly. I wonder in this light will act as a negative, or will nature carry on regardless of the lack of natural darkness.
          Once I have learnt how to put pic on laptop I will post pic of my beautiful Ladies.

Comment

• starramus
            starramus commented
            Editing a comment
            hmmmm Your statement about the intermittent power made me incorrectly conclude that you were suffering the noreaster in the NE. They are getting another one at this moment. The Lizard King was right, "the west is the best". The south ain't bad either though. That is far enough south.

Well since we are closing in on the vernal equinox you should be approaching your "autumnal equinox" if I've got your seasons right. You should be OK with the natural switch coming up. Ain't nature wonderful?

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            You can always get you a BB gun, for that streetlight, lol.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X