Advice for dealing with transplant shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for dealing with transplant shock

So Yesterday afternoon I transplanted this 8" plant I had into a 5 gallon. it looked great all afternoon and night. This morning it was curled over and limp. I moved it to lower light and heat for a couple hours to see if it helped take some stress off. It's what they recommend for regular plants. After a couple of hours I gave her some water with a touch of rooting hormone. Initially she lifted a bit, but not quite all the way. Now it's been a little over 24 hours since the transplant and noticed the leaves are dry and crispy. The soil is still moist and damp, so that's not it.

Did the shock kill her? Should I just sit tight and wait a bit? Personal opinions?

Looks like she may or suffered some root damage. Is that a possibility? Be real nice to her for a few days and she should come back. What type of medium was it in and what type is it in now?
    Setup
    4’x4’x6.6’
    600W MH
    2x innova 19w full spec led
    175cfm fan, can 33 filter
    8gal DIY reservoir/ hydro system

Comment

• BlueBudz
      BlueBudz commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya if you treat her real good she should come back (depending on severity of damage) I tossed one in the garbage one day in a rockwool cube I thought was pooched and she started to grow in the can lol I guess sometimes it’s hard to tell what their asking for

• FarrahMoan
      FarrahMoan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, the wilt doesn't worry me so much, it's the whole crispy leaves thing. They are still green, but man do they feel old and dry. I guess time will tell. I just misted them and I guess I'll see what they look like in the morning.

• BlueBudz
      BlueBudz commented
      Editing a comment
      Mist the leaves and keep in high humidity as she should be treated like a new clone if her roots are not in good shape only to get water will be through the leaves

Best thing for transplant shock is to raise the light, the plant needs a little time to recoop Best days for transplanting outside are cloudy days, or evenings.

Comment

• FarrahMoan
      FarrahMoan commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. Thanks.

• Jibblerjoe
      Jibblerjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't water for a bit let roots dry, plant is going to be sad for couple days. No worries. BlueBudz I too have retrieved a baby from trash can.

• BlueBudz
      BlueBudz commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol funny how hard you try sometimes and all they want is less!

Best thing for transplant shock is not to transplant at all! Skip the tiny pot and just plunk your seedling right into the big pot. Saves time and trouble, too.

Comment

• BlueBudz
      BlueBudz commented
      Editing a comment
      As correct as this statement is.... it doesn’t really help now lol

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      < As correct as this statement is.... it doesn’t really help now lol >
      It might help the next guy.

Update:

Still a sad little plant, but further complications. That bag of soil I put her in is garbage. (Note to self: Don't buy the big bag of soil from the grocery store.) On the advice of a housemate I watered her more and checked the ph of the runoff. Almost 5.0!!! No wonder her leaves were crispy...

Yikes.

Redid her setup and we'll see what tomorrow brings.
    Last edited by FarrahMoan; 03-05-2018, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FarrahMoan View Post
      Update:

Still a sad little plant, but further complications. That bag of soil I put her in is garbage. (Note to self: Don't buy the big bag of soil from the grocery store.) On the advice of a housemate I watered her more and checked the ph of the runoff. Almost 5.0!!! No wonder her leaves were crispy...

Yikes.

Redid her setup and we'll see what tomorrow brings.
      Garbage soil: Yeah, the $1.99 for 2 cubic feet bag from the hardware store (which I believe was the new type of compost made from urban garbage--in any case, it had a piece of broken glass in it) was sh*t.
      pH 5.0: Don't be too quick to blame pH. Modern fertilizers are made to work over a broad range of pHs (with buffers, multiple chemical sources, and chelation), and truth be told, 5.0 ain't all that low.
      (FWIW, I had a tomato growing in peat moss last year (I bought it that way from the nursery) that had pH 4.5 runoff all summer long (despite my watering it with pH 8/ pH-Up'd water) and it grew dozens of beautiful tomatoes.)
      All that to say that your leaves just might have been crispy for another reason; pH 5.0 is not a death knell.

Comment

• FarrahMoan
        FarrahMoan commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm. Interesting... Well it's at 6.5 now. She's completely upright at this point, although a little off center still. Those leaves though, they feel like orange fall leaves that crumble to dust in your hand. (not that any crumbled I was gentle)

Hands up! Just step away from the plant Farrah. Give it a little, 1/2 cup ph-6 water with weak weak neuts. then just chill for a few days. The plant knows the drill.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X