Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midnight Mass Grow report

This is the Midnight Mass grow from last Fall.Strains:
    Midnight Mass (breeder_Heavyweight Seeds)

Medium: coco (aeration), perlite, pumice, grow stones ( 2”grow stones in bottom), with 60% coco (aeration mix), 20% perlite and 10% pumice, 10% combined mix of worm castings & boiled rice hulls. This drains very well, so well that you need to make sure you replenish the nutrients with every watering, but I never have any issues with root rot or nutrient lockout.

Nutrients: Advanced Nutrients Grow and Bloom part A & B for coco (PH perfect), with the addition of supplements (B52, Voodoo, Piranha, Water preparation_5 or 10 gallon container filled with tap water and let it set for 24 hrs or more until the chlorine gas has dissipated.

Lights: two Fluence VPPRx 320 watt lights. Extremely even, efficient and adjustable PPFD in a 3.5 x 6’ grow area.
    Security lighting: two 175 watt outdoor lights daylight balanced, connected to a timer which is plugged into a UPS so if we lose our electric power then I have backup light source for over 8 hrs.

Hydro System: AIT, air injection technology. individual buckets with air injection pumps, similar to those used for hydro but they work with soil or similar mediums. i’ve used this system twice and it works best using a very porous medium because it provides more “pathways” for the air to travel up through to the surface. This system works best for my grow area/environment and personal schedule. Since each plant is in its own bucket it is “closed” system as long as the issue is restricted to that one plant_ like nutrient issues due to different genetics or tolerances.
    I don’t have to worry about concerns that more traditional hydro setups can experience if there is a loss of power or contamination of nutrient supply. The air pumps supply oxygen to each plant individually from the bottom up through the medium. If the pump(s) fail its ok, they do fine without the pumps because the medium drains very well yet holds moisture for days.

Background: The objective was to get 3 different strains with similar seed to harvest times to finish in time to dry for a week and cure for a week before leaving for two weeks on December 20. Decided to use LST and defoliation only as training techniques because I wanted them to get to harvest asap. That didn’t happen but all turned out well in the end. Big smile!

This is what happened_ some of the pants looked like they’d be too advanced by the time I could return two weeks later so I watered them until I got 50% drainage and the next morning defoliated any fan leaves and small to medium sized leaves, cut the branches off at the base by the trunk and hung them to dry. No fan in the room like when I’m there to keep an eye on things. Also increased the humidity to 60% and temp at 68 degrees. All this with the idea that they would take longer than the 7 days it usually takes when I cut the branches off right below the main colas, keep humidity at 50% and temperature at 68_ 70 degrees, with a fan on low pointed at the opposite wall.
    They did get a bit too dry but when I put them in jars I filled them to the top and put one of the largest buds in each jar because they had more moisture. Also put some 70% Bovida bags in the jars too and after a few days the humidity was up to 60% (originally it was about 52%).
    Once the humidity came up I removed the Bovida bags and let them cure for 3 weeks, then put the bags back in the jars for long term storage.

Midnight Mass (Heavy Weight Seeds)_ feminized strain, two plants
    Heritage_ Kashmiri x Bubble Candy
    Calendar_both were planted on September 15th. One of the two plants was harvested on December 18 and the other on January 5th. The January plant was a bit more of a couch lock than cerebral high and the December plant the opposite_to be expected I suspect.
    Training_LST and defoliation only. Short plants (23” and 21”) with nice colas.
    Harvest_ 3.7 oz total, dried, trimmed and cured.
    Structure_ small to medium sized plants with dense structure (20-24”).

Conclusion_Nice frosty multicolored flowers. Very dense buds once cured. Tight internodes and dense structure. Good thing they are very mold resistant! I missed a weekly defoliation and returned to a plant I couldn’t get inside of without stressing over how to do that without abusing the main colas. So it was pretty leafy towards the end. Tested at 19%THC and 1.2% CBD.
    Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
    liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Here are a few more photos from the Midnight Mass....This plant wasn't real to take down before we left so it stayed up for another two weeks.Turned out OK in the end but was pretty nervous while we were gone.
    liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

• Campesino
      Campesino commented
      Editing a comment
      Really well done!
      Both the plants and the photography!
      Beautiful!

Opps! and here's the harvest

Comment

Totally awesome dude!! Love the color of those buds man.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Yeah me too! I wish I had some more left but I have a few small jars in the freezer for when the urge strikes for something different later. The purple colors are popular for sure. I've got two strains going now that should produce some of the same colors_ guess we'll find out in about 7-8 weeks!

Comment

Hey Zig Zag, congratulations on your grow. But I’m interested in your photography. Excellent pics!!!! What equipment are you using?

Here are a couple of my shots. I use Canon T3i with a Canon Macro lens.

Comment

Nice Pics! I can't wait to see those nice pale pistils reaching for the heavens....but afraid I have another 2-3 weeks before I see much of anything happening. Just switched to 12/12 five days ago.
            For the most part I use a Sony a7rIII and an a9 camera with a 24-70 zoom (The Canon 2.8 USM L II with sony adaptor) and a 90mm Sony G macro lens. Also my iPhone when I'm in a hurry to just document progress. I have a canon 100mm macro too that I've used and I like it as well. And a tripod since I use natural light and small apertures. I usually use an aperture of f11-22. And usually an iso of about 320.
            Hope that helps!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X