Germinating in Hydro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germinating in Hydro

This may sound dumb but it is happening. I had been growing in soil and never had any problems using the cup and paper towel methods of germinating.Now doing hydro I put the seed in the rapid rooter ,soak it. and put in in my system with the drip method of directly feeding my roots.Seems to take quite a few try and miss with seeds to get them to germinate. I have tried the paper towel then put the seeds in the rapid rooter after seeing the tap roo and never see anything out of them. I have had a few to grow. I am on my second grow now but I must be doing something wrong here.Seeds cost too much as you know.Any suggestions

I'd suggest staying the paper towel method and then after she pops move her to the Rapid Rooter.

Comment

• Smoke-a-lot
      Smoke-a-lot commented
      Editing a comment
      I have done that but for some reason they just die in the rooter. I take the rooter apart and see the dead tap root. I do the same with seeds and just find the seeds not broken in the rooter after a week.

Do you have the water level up to the bottom of the net pots or are you leaving an air gap?
    Instagram: @farmerjim420
    What is VPD?
    diygrowdata.com

Completed:
    #1 Nirvana Super Skunk - 49/49 - DWC - 64g (1 plant)
    Completed: #2 Nirvana Lemon OG Haze - RDWC - 460g (3 plants)
    In progress: #3 DARK HARVEST GROW CHALLENGE! (Group Thread)!
    In progress: #3 Dark Harvest Grow Challenge - farmerjim (thread)

Current Setup:
    • Scrog Tent: HydroFarm Phantom cMH reflector & ballast - Phillips MasterColor 3100/4200k
    • Mainline Tent: HydroFarm Phantom Dual 315 cMH
    • #diyrdwc
    • GH Flora Trio, CalMag, Hydroguard, ArmorSi, Diamond Nectar

Comment

• Smoke-a-lot
      Smoke-a-lot commented
      Editing a comment
      Got an air gab. Have a 10 gallon container filled alittle more than 1/2 filled

Skip the paper towel. Place straight into a moist rapid rooted. Keep moist, not soaked keep around 75-80, 60-70% humidity. I find a humidity dome with a brooder lamp to work great. I also rip a corner of the roofer off and place it over the hole. Don’t jam it in there just to block light. 8/8 have germinated for me that way. The paper towel just seems like extra handling to further complicate it. Once roots are on the way out of the rooter place in your final spot.
    48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
    600w mh/hps
    32”x32”x63” veg tent
    viparspectra PAR 450 led
    FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
    5 gallon Smart Pots
    Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
    Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

• Locrian99
      Locrian99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice. Did you get pretty solid yields off the ones you grew?

• abadtrip
      abadtrip commented
      Editing a comment
      10 oz from 2 plants of the most brick u in the face weed I have Eva smoked. Also made a pound of amazing butter from the trim.

• Locrian99
      Locrian99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! 10 oz from two I’d be very happy, I’m hoping to average 3oz per this grow first grow I only got 1.5 per average, smoke was good but I made some big mistakes along the way.

I use the cup of water method. Place the seed in a cup of room temperature water and cover for darkness. Check back in 24 hours. If it's cracked open and a root is exposed insert into rapid rooter. If not I give them 12 more hours in the cup o water. Works great for me. I keep them in a seed tray and cover them to keep a high humidity environment until they are a couple of weeks old. I don't insert them into a hydro system until they are well established. You may be water logging the seedling if you have it in a bubbleponics setup.

Comment

I place them in my hydro as soon as I see them pop out of the rr and give them all the light I got 24 on till the flip.but that is how I grow. I do not use a top feed system I have only had bad luck with them.
      It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

From what I’ve read you guys are doing too much atleast more than I’m willing to do. All I do is I put a seed about a quarter of an inch deep into my rockwool cube after soaking it in water of course then I put the cube in a ziplock bag and place it on top of my dvr yes my DVR and the warmth of the box keeps my cube warm and moist and every single time 3 days later maybe 4 the seeds sprout and bam I put light on it and it goes green from there on that’s it. Can’t get any simpler than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke-a-lot View Post
          This may sound dumb but it is happening. I had been growing in soil and never had any problems using the cup and paper towel methods of germinating.Now doing hydro I put the seed in the rapid rooter ,soak it. and put in in my system with the drip method of directly feeding my roots.Seems to take quite a few try and miss with seeds to get them to germinate. I have tried the paper towel then put the seeds in the rapid rooter after seeing the tap roo and never see anything out of them. I have had a few to grow. I am on my second grow now but I must be doing something wrong here.Seeds cost too much as you know.Any suggestions
          How deep are you placing the seed in the rapid rooter? I place mine about a quarter inch deep if that, basically just enough to cover the seed that way once it cracks it comes right out to light I had one almost not come out because it was deep I had to open my rockwool to let it come up to the light.

Comment

• Smoke-a-lot
            Smoke-a-lot commented
            Editing a comment
            I was wondering about the debt I have been putting them in around 1/4 inch

Thanks for all the info trying to figure out another problem. Got dropping leaves and alittle yellow color looked up the problem and now I raised my lights (small LED and small COB )to 12 inches from plant now. Neither felt warm before to my hands. PH is 5.9 and ppm is 570 right now. Used this light system on my soil grows and never had any problem. Thanks again

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X