10/14 light schedule to accelerate flower time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10/14 light schedule to accelerate flower time

Hey guys had kind of an unexpected opportunity happen and am needing my current grow to finish ASAP. Unfortunately I just switched to 12/12. Basically we are going to be listing our home for sale after I get a few things done around the property and while I live in a legal state I don’t really want a bunch of perspective buyers wandering around my tents etc. question is going with a 10/14 schedule to my understanding will speed up flowering but hurt yields. Anyone have any experience on how much faster this will make it. IE could I expect a typical 60 day flower time to be 45 or am I more likely to only shave a few days off. And how drastically would it effect the yield. I realize this is far from the ideal, just weighing my options, thanks for any input.
    48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
    600w mh/hps
    32”x32”x63” veg tent
    viparspectra PAR 450 led
    FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
    5 gallon Smart Pots
    Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
    Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Hey 99, you might shave off a couple of days or more, but not many. Ain't much you can do, ole buddy, but hang in there and wait.Just make sure they are ready ,like you want them when you do harvest, lol
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• DrPhoton
      DrPhoton commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you had any personal experience with this daas ? Im curious about this topic.

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey DangerDan, nothing concrete like you do ,but all we ever did on some of our outdoor grows, was cover them up, or stick em in whatever dark spot that was close by ,like dark shady spots. You can sure make em flower early doing that, but as far as cutting a couple of weeks off,,I don't know ,but I'm sure it's got to help a little, especially if you was growing long flowering ones like these Oaxaca sativas, that we mostly grow. I don't know Jack about growing indoors, but that would be lots more reliable, better than in a shade out in the woods somewhere for sure.

• DrPhoton
      DrPhoton commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes i grow outdoors too, though i have not eperimented with shading. As far as i have seen, the shortening of the light cycle appears to reduce the flowering time. People have reported that going from 12/12 to 14/10 or more, speeds up flowering. However i have not seen any report the time frames. But i have seen more than a few report around 2 weeks less flowering with shorter day cycles. For example, keeping 12 hours dark but less light hours. Such as 8/12 which means only a 20 hr day, rather than a 24hr day.

As far as i can tell, in order for flowering time to be reduced. The plant must put less energy in floral growth and more into trichome development. I would love to hear peoples experience with this and whether flower maturity does hasten with less light hours.

Yes, it appears that entending the dark phase will speed up the flowering time. I have not read any data on the reasoning for this, however it is likely due to a plants cyclic pattern. Any stimuli that indicates to a plant that winter could be coming, could enable it to respond in preparation. It has also been suggested that low temperatures, especially the night could effect the flower cycle.

Written Articles:
    Light Metric Systems
    Using Light Efficiently
    The Light Cycle Debate
    Environment Conditions
    Grow Light Technologies
    How To Compare Grow Lights
    To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
    Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Comment

After re reading the artcle on the site it sounds like this isn’t the best option for your 7-9 week strains more for your hazes etc that have the 12 week + flower times.
      48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
      600w mh/hps
      32”x32”x63” veg tent
      viparspectra PAR 450 led
      FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
      5 gallon Smart Pots
      Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
      Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

Maybe NebulaHaze can chime in, i would love to hear further information on this.
        Written Articles:
        Light Metric Systems
        Using Light Efficiently
        The Light Cycle Debate
        Environment Conditions
        Grow Light Technologies
        How To Compare Grow Lights
        To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
        Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
        Facebook
        Twitter
        Instagram

Comment

I have played with dropping 1) light from 12/12 week 8 to 11/13 week 9, and to 10/14 in week 10. In 15 minute increments 2) dropping Temps from 78f high/68f low to 70f high/62f low. 3) humidity from 40% to 25%.
          my initial thought was to mimic a late seasons in an indoor climate in return I was happy with the results although I can't say it sped up Harvest I noticed a really good quality of flower and "maybe" it came a day or five early.
          You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I'm with you MrFurley, I'm sure it speeds it up a little, but not enough that you would ever notice, how much it actually sped up. There's no way to tell, for sure.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X