Bud curing and storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bud curing and storage

I just read this weeks news letter and I must say that this is one time that I do not agree with NebulaHaze . I have, for the last five grows, cured and stored my bud in glass jars in the refrigerator! The ONLY bud lost to mold was one the first grow cure when I kept the jars in a back room closet. The dampness of the fridge has not caused any mold because the jars are sealed and the bud is only exposed to the air inside of the jars. People have been using refrigeration to reduce mold a rotting of food for almost a hundred years. the curing in the fridge may take a little longer because of the lower temperature (around 40° to 45° F), but molds and fungi need heat and or light (as well as moisture) to grow. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just passing along my experiences with the curing and storage.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

I think Nebula's advice on curing is very good, and I follow her instructions to the letter (as I do for almost everything ), but of course there is plenty of room for doing things differently. I would think that that key thing for refrigerated storage would be to get the moisture pretty low since there are bacteria (I even remember the name: "psychrophiles") that thrive in cold temperatures, and some molds can too. For long-term storage I keep my overstock bud in the freezer (following Nebula's instructions, of course).

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes there are molds that can live at low temperatures. The long term storage in the freezer, is the best option for long term storage. Nebula's knowledge and expertise is not in question, I have had good results with curing in jars in the refrigerator. Also, I do not use the humidity packs, 62% humidity is rather high in my opinion and inside the jars it is unaffected by the humidity inside of the fridge.

Swiss cheese mold in my cheese weed even when both are resealed? 😂
    I assume that’s probably how fridge mold spreads to weed if you rummage then open your mason jars around that atmosphere. I don’t know. To each his own. I bought a cigar cooler to keep my jars in because my room temps can be in the 80s most of the year. I can choose the temperature and humidity in it. But I’ve read some negative reviews on them from cigar people who end up with moldy cigars. Go figure!

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting, I never thought that a cigar would mold. The air, inside and outside of a house, carries just about every mold and fungi spore known, as well as bacterium of most all kinds. A local TV station did a report on what's floating around, the reporter just held up an open petri dish to the breeze. Then they placed it in an incubator for a few days and WOW! it was amazing to see all of the stuff that grew from that! It almost make's one want to hold their breath. (LOL)

• MarkyJ
      MarkyJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah this planet is dominated by bugs lol. What if their moldy cigars are from handling them too much with unwashed hands? Blame the cooler! I bet if growers did a petri dish test for data your fridge would be cleaner than most 👍

That's interesting. Over the years we've had lots of growers write in with problems with mold when storing buds in the fridge, so I personally don't recommend it if a grower has other options, but I updated the section about fridges in the article a little bit if you want to take a look. What do you think? Other growers feel free to chime in, too We appreciate getting feedback!

Comment

> I do not use the humidity packs, 62% humidity is rather high in my opinion
      That's what I was getting at with my comment about wanting the humidity low for storing in the fridge. Even molds and bacteria that can grow in the cold can't grow without water.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X