Heirloom Seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heirloom Seeds

My wonderful State of Vermont recently legalized marijuana. I am in the process of setting up my grow room getting ready for a July 1st. 2018 launch. It is my intent to follow the law to the best of my ability in regards to the number of young and mature plants and available product. Currently as it is, it is still illegal to buy seeds. Being that I am a long time smoker I still have a KODAK film canister of old seeds when back in the day we de-seeded our bags off albums. At least 40 years now. The strains at the time were coming up from Mexico mostly with names like " Acapulco Gold", "Panama Red" and perhaps "MowieWowie". and who know all what else. My question is what are the chances these seeds are still viable? I don't want to waste my time and money.

There tough to germinate when they get that old but still possible. It usually takes much longer for them to pop than normal also. Moist paper towel method between two plates and checked every day would probably be your best plan. I tried once with similar seeds ( mine were about 40 years old) when I first started growing. I gave up on them when they didnt pop after 8 or 9 days. But Ive since learned it can take two weeks or more.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Trugrit55 . Your last sentence sums up my thoughts about your bagseed, I wouldn't waste my time or effort, cuz all your gonna get is that same bagseed weed you smoked 40 years ago. THC might be as much as ten percent, not worth the time.
      Genetics has progressed to the point one can grow a plant with over twenty percent THC in as little as eighty days. That's the way I would go.
      And that's eighty days from seed to harvest.
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Thanks for the advise. I will probably remove all doubt and start with quality seed stock. That way I'll know what to expect.

Comment

• Canuck147
          Canuck147 commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely and good luck growing. Personally, I don't mind paying $20 a seed cuz DNA makes a difference. Check out the autoflowers from Fastbuds or Humboldt Seed Company.

Actually Truegrit, it's not illegal to purchase seeds for "collector's purposes"; I buy my seeds from Seedsman.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I started a grow with half bag seeds and half purchased Great white shark seeds. The bag seed was beautiful and strong and at day 33 of flowering they all sprouted male flowers. I had to kill them and the Great white shark is thriving.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X