Growing super slow??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing super slow??

First time marijuana grower here. I have plenty of experience in my outdoor flower and vegatable gardens, and I have about a dozen house plants. Obviously, that experience is not enough for me when growing this magic plant!

I'm growing in a bathroom vanity that's 2.5' L by 1.5' W and about 3' high. I've been growing 2 NL fems from seed that I got from Nirvana. I'm using FF Happy Frog with about 30% perlite in Solo sized seedling pots from HD. Seeds sprouted rather quickly, and have been pretty healthy since. I'm using 200 watts worth of CFL bulbs that are about an inch away from my plants. They emit relatively no heat and are rather efficient for my set up. I have an oscillating fan going to allow for air circulation. I've removed the rolling drawers which leaves 4"x4" openings at the top for heat to escape and air to enter. Low temps at night are around 70-72 degrees and the highs range between 78-82 degrees. Humidity is about 30-40% consistently. I'm on the 18/6 light cycle which seems to be working well. I water them every 2-3 days which allows for sufficient drying between waterings-but not too dry to the point of droopy leaves.

The plants are on day 16 from germination. They are both about 2.5" tall and 4" wide. They are both on their 5th set of leaves. There is super tight node spacing, which I understand is not necessarily a bad thing. They are both vibrantly green and look really healthy, aside from the first set of leaves on both which are only slightly lighter than the rest of the plant. It's barely noticeable unless you look at the plants really closely. It may be time to transplant soon as the roots are visible in the holes at the bottom of the pot. One plant more so than the other, but both visible.

I have not fed the plants any nutrients yet, as I figured the FF Happy Frog came pre-loaded for a start. I plan on transplanting into a mix of FF Ocean Forest and FF Happy Frog with 30-40% perlite. I'm going to be moving the plants into 2 gallon fabric pots.

With all that said, I'm a little curious as to why these plants are still so tiny. I had not been checking pH of my water until last night. The reading was around 8, which is a little high. I use tap water that has been sitting in a covered bottle, so I'm not sure if that's okay. Because I was concerned that the soil's pH may be off, I did a run off test this morning after adjusting my water's pH to 6.4 for the first time. The run off's numbers were in about the same range-6.3. What does this mean, if anything? I'm hoping that the soil's pH is within optimal rage for a marijuana grow, but I can't really tell from the test I've done. I'm hoping there isn't a nutrient lockout, but if there is, how do I fix it? From now on, I plan on pH'ing the water I give the plants since the first couple of waterings weren't ideal pH wise.

I have to keep reminding myself that patience is a virtue. I guess sometimes these babies need a little time and space to do their thing.

I've posted some pics at this link below. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

​​​​​​​Peace

Sounds and looks like your plants are fine. They probably just got enough light to not need to stretch and that would account for the short inter-node spacing. I wouldnt worry about what the PH was before now ( seedlings are very adaptable ) but ya, you need to PH water in the future always to 5.8.6.8 or thereabouts.
    Also I just looked up your particualr seed from Nirvana as Northern lights often can grow quite tall ( especially outdoors) This is what it said on there site. "Our tip for this strain: Northern Lights has a super fast flowering time and stays incredibly short in height, but don’t be fooled into thinking your yield will be anything less than impressive. It’s a great strain to learn how to grow and since it’s a classic, there is world of literature on it that will help guide you to blossom these seeds into an amazing plant."
    Last edited by Dutchman1; 02-08-2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Ffof is okay and it's loaded with nutes to last a good 2 weeks. I don't recommend it but if that's what you're set on don't give it any nutes after transplant for a few weeks. Sounds like Dutchman did the research on your strain so genetics had to do with your hieght. You could always get a red LED light and see if it helps the stretch of you need some height to work with but growing in a cabinet you'll want it to be short. Following the guides provided here will help you a great deal. I wouldn't worry about height but I wouldn't wait to see roots from the bottom you don't want the roots to get bound up. It could have a great effect on the way they grow. There's a transplant guide that will help determine hieght and size for proper container. Good luck in your tiny grow space.
      Last edited by Chefbjy; 02-08-2018, 04:20 PM. Reason: just saw pics
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-she-s-a-beast

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...1424-shop-grow

Wise man say."Always someone who know more."

Comment

• Chefbjy
        Chefbjy commented
        Editing a comment
        pH sounds fine. Ideal plant growth is between 5.5 and 7 you will want to keep it around 6 but some nutes are better absorbed at higher levels.

I've read that it's normal to not to see fast top growth at the beginning stage since it's building it's roots up for the growth. Once it flips to to flowering that's when you will see the most stretch, it will double in size and northern lights tends to be bushy instead of being tall

Comment

Hey Happyfarmer Welcome to this forum.
        In you had any nute lock-out, it was before you adjusted your pH, so don't worry about that now.
        You want your pH between 5.5 - 6.5 cuz cannabis plants can only absorb the nutrients you offer it between those numbers.
        Keep checking your pH. Easier actually to check after your nutrients have been added, if any.
        I feed my plants like this from start to finish - nutes/nutes/flush - whatever kind of flush you want.
        I think your plants are not tiny, but very nice looking plants. But to answer that question, I would guess all your lights are above the plants. Try and move a few to the side and allow the little girls to stretch up a little bit.
        Having such a limited amount of growing space, I suggest you look up a few tutorials about LST. Learn how to grow short and squat. Set your goal to sixty grams a plant. Best to expect a little and fun when you get more.

Good luck growing and keep posting.
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X