Advanced Nutrients for hydro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanced Nutrients for hydro

I've recently seen some good things said about Advanced Nutrients. I stayed away, thinking they are for soil or non hydro. Visiting their site, they say its also for hydro.
    Does anybody here have experience with their line? Reading through it, I find it confusing, with the possible intent of just selling me more stuff. I like GH Trio, as it's easy to handle and most importantly, it works well. Three grows, no complaints.
    The AN line looks to correct for a lot of deficiencies. Add this, if you need that. Add that, if you need this. Etc. I'm not attracted to that concept. How the heck do I know if I'm low or high in this or that? pH excepted.
    Insights appreciated.

No matter the brand, they all come with a feeding schedule, I use full strength emerald harvest and follow their schedule faithfully. I don’t do the half dose business, too much risk to underfeed and finding yourself catching up and dealing with deficiencies. It’s America, if people were actually burning their crops with the recommended doses lawsuits would be flying right?
    x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

• Jason
      Jason commented
      Editing a comment
      I do full strength GH Trio for the same reason. Just follow directions. I'll look at emerald harvest. .
      Not sure how many cannabis growers would pursue legal action if a grow died. Maybe 4H'ers would, but........

It could take some convincing for me to change. Three grows, no problems and yields are predictable. Consumer quality reviews are very high. So no complaints.

But I'm willing to learn.

• Waltermelon
      Waltermelon commented
      Editing a comment
      It's really funny more people are feeding full strength nutes to me. A few years ago on another forum site I was called a 🐖(cop) and accused of trying to kill people's crops because I recommended following instructions on bottles. My rationale was, I don't have a PhD in plant science, the people that make these feed schedules are. I guess a bunch of stoners figured they knew better than a bunch of Drs...

Here in Oregon I can promise you those big farms would, they’ve invested millions. But they don’t so I feel we’re safe still. No need to change if gh works for you man, that was just my two and half cents.. cheers!
    x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

• Jason
      Jason commented
      Editing a comment
      My inclination is toward organic. GH is not, so I keep my eyes and hears open.
      And I wouldn't mind keeping my few coins away from Monsanto. Their profit off me wouldn't pay for anything other than a few leaves of toilet paper.

I'd love to see some big growers sue the nutrient companies with improvements for us all. Wouldn't that be fun to watch!!

• Waltermelon
      Waltermelon commented
      Editing a comment
      Organic also depends mostly on your definition of the word. Most all furts on the market are mineral, and minerals are "organic" when you get down to it, Even peroxide is organic. That being said, cutting edge solutions has been one brand I've stuck with for a few years now.

• Cronk
      Cronk commented
      Editing a comment
      big guys buy pre-made nutes? I always figured they'd mix them in house since that would be cheaper on a large scale..

I use DNF brand nutrients and it states to start at a reduced concentration to avoid potential toxicity’s or negative effects. So I doubt you’d be able to go after them. Unless it says guaranteed not to burn I think it’s safe to say you have to use discretion
    Setup
    4’x4’x6.6’
    600W MH
    2x innova 19w full spec led
    175cfm fan, can 33 filter
    8gal DIY reservoir/ hydro system

Comment

• BlueBudz
      BlueBudz commented
      Editing a comment
      To be honest I’m not sure if I read that from the nutrients or just what my hydro guy said 😂

If full strength GH is doing the job for you, then why not stay with that? It's all just N, P, and K if you know what I mean. What I have heard from other hydroponic enthusiasts is that AN's pH Perfect line (or 3 lines?) really does give you more stable pH.

I laughed at the line about 4H.

Comment

• Jason
      Jason commented
      Editing a comment
      4H is serious business in some areas. And rightly so. I'd love to see a bunch of middle school and high school kids kick some ass in the world of agriculture.

I did see a lot about stable pH on the AN site. No real appeal for me about that. Too stable could potentially rob the girls of nutrients. I like my pH to range and have no problems adjusting as needed. pH Down and air stones pretty much do the trick with that.

Originally posted by Jason View Post
    My inclination is toward organic. GH is not, so I keep my eyes and hears open.
    And I wouldn't mind keeping my few coins away from Monsanto. Their profit off me wouldn't pay for anything other than a few leaves of toilet paper.

I'd love to see some big growers sue the nutrient companies with improvements for us all. Wouldn't that be fun to watch!!
    Look into Roots Organics, based in Eugene Oregon. Another grower who does organic thru and thru visited their yard and was floored by the way they care for their products. I dealt with them personally thru a growing contest they sponsored and dude talk about walking their talk! Used it for the contest and was pleasantly surprised. I don’t use their products right now as I’m trying to go thru all my free emerald harvest bottles I got at indo expo... in August! But roots organics will be my next brand.

Comment

Thanks for that heads up LuckyAcres. I'll check them out. I do go tharn with too much techno nutrient babble when I visit local hydro stores. Hopefully that won't happen when I ask about this stuff.
      I do have enough GH Trio for a few more grows, so cost and waste will be a factor before any change. Waste not, want not.

Comment

• LuckyAcres
        LuckyAcres commented
        Editing a comment
        Heads up RO has a few different options available. I’d get in touch with them and poke their brains about your specific situation and what RO can do for you. Good peeps.

Originally posted by Waltermelon View Post
      It's really funny more people are feeding full strength nutes to me. A few years ago on another forum site I was called a 🐖(cop) and accused of trying to kill people's crops because I recommended following instructions on bottles. My rationale was, I don't have a PhD in plant science, the people that make these feed schedules are. I guess a bunch of stoners figured they knew better than a bunch of Drs...
      same reasoning here, I follow manuals and instructions, people get paid to put this stuff together, I feel like at least let’s give them a chance! 😅

Comment

• Waltermelon
        Waltermelon commented
        Editing a comment
        Also most of the time, unless something goes completly sideways, plants will most of the time only take what they need out of solution and leave the rest. That's why you don't normally see toxicities posted in forums. I use a heavy p-k fert called MPK (0-52-34) 2 weeks before switching to flower and through to flush. If they took up everything in solution, my plants would be crispy. I don't ever have so much as a burnt tip.

Originally posted by Waltermelon View Post
      Organic also depends mostly on your definition of the word. Most all furts on the market are mineral, and minerals are "organic" when you get down to it, Even peroxide is organic. That being said, cutting edge solutions has been one brand I've stuck with for a few years now.
      It’s oregon man, it’s organic! 😂 seriously though I’m pretty sure all their products are OMRI certified at the very least.
      Heres their link

Comment

• LuckyAcres
        LuckyAcres commented
        Editing a comment
        True that. I use something similar Sonic Bloom, no burning either.

• Waltermelon
        Waltermelon commented
        Editing a comment
        LuckyAcres Sonic bloom is basically a really sweet smelling MPK, just 3x the cost. Buying raw MPK for $14 a kg allows me about $40 for sweeteners for the sweet smell. Most big p-k ferts are mpk based . I also use potassium sulfate (0-0-52) that's another base for a lot of high $$ nutes that can be had cheap. Just follow dosing instructions from foxfarm until you get it right.
        Last edited by Waltermelon; 02-06-2018, 02:40 PM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect

Originally posted by Cronk View Post
      big guys buy pre-made nutes? I always figured they'd mix them in house since that would be cheaper on a large scale..
      Dunno man but I see a lot of growers walking out of hydro stores with 3 or 4 5gallon jugs of nutes

Comment

Jason, I use AN in hydro, and I like their products. Their website is too flashy and sensational, it's hard to find the basic information, but I did find it and I worked out the schedule of when to add what and how much. Growing 4 plants in my big growbox with around 6 gallons of water, I get up to about 50% their recommended dose, slightly less, by around the 4th week of flowering. I've called their help line a few times, and have an intelligent conversation with the person. That is a definite plus: I like to get my questions answered.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Thanks for the insights! Now I know where to look.
          I agree the AN site causes sensory overload. If you have good nutes and good feeding schedules for hydro, why all the emphasis on corrections or deficiencies?
          Not a very good gateway presentation in my opinion.

Now waiting on clones for the next grow.

Comment

Yes I use Advanced Nutrients, in coco, seems to me, that they are just as good as any off them, I'm using full strength an have had no problems so for.
            Cfls for a week or two
            315lec for everything else
            Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

Waltermelon thanks for the info man! Much appreciated! At a 1/4tsp per gallon this sonic bloom should last me a while though. Someday when I have more time and space I’ll get into making my own soil and skip bottled nutes all together!

Comment

> Too stable could potentially rob the girls of nutrients. I like my pH to range and have no problems adjusting as needed. pH Down and air stones pretty much do the trick with that.
                Nah, sorry, that's a common theory but it's not so for modern, high-tech fertilizers that we use. They're chelated and buffered and compounded with different molecules just so they stay in the ideal pH range and so they can deliver nutrients across a broad range of pHs. You really don't need the pH to move around OR to be some exact value.

Comment

• Jason
                  Jason commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I refer to the chart published by GH for use with their Flora Trio. It shows which nutes are absorbed at different pH levels. According to the chart, 5.5 to 6.5 insures all nutes are absorbed.
                  I know nothing. Just follow directions.

From the GH site....
                  How does pH level affect plant growth?
                  pH is important because it affects availability and absorption of several of the 16 atomic elements needed for plant growth. Maximum absorption of these elements is found at pH readings 5.5 to 6.5. When pH falls below this range many of the macro elements (N, P, K) have less availability, and absorption of the micro nutrients can reach toxic levels.

Are there nutrients that work differently, and don't need the ranging pH. I can believe that, but I don't currently use them.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X