King Plus LED Grow Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoberBrandon View Post
    That chart is usually incorrect. I go by lux and I’ve got a LED Lux meter to help me with it , at Veg I like 70,000 max and at flower you can push to 90,000lux especially having 4 plants.
    I absolutely agree with the bait and switch sentiment, but it has to be close or there would be some kind of lawsuit involved at some point. I like to use dodge and Mazda as an example. When the srt4 neon came out dodge understated the hp, when the Mazda rx8 came out Mazda overstated the hp. Guess who got sued? Some understate some overstate. But if you go into it with some healthy scepticism, take a good look, do a bit of digging, you can come up with a pretty good understanding of who's closer to the truth and a good idea of how far away from the truth something is. I don't just go blowing $100 here or there.

Comment

Lux is also not the ideal unit of measure. Lux is intensity, m/moles is density. Lux and lumens are for humans ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Waltermelon View Post
        Lux is also not the ideal unit of measure. Lux is intensity, m/moles is density. Lux and lumens are for humans ;-)
        Lux is lumens per square meter and a valid way to measure light. Though I've only used lux to measure white-ish light, you can convert between PPFD and lux using a conversion factor. https://www.apogeeinstruments.com/co...n-ppfd-to-lux/

​​​​

An inexpensive lux meter lets you measure that amount of light at a specific point in space - learn how to use this tool to increase your yields!

Comment

You are correct it can be converted, but I didn't see any conversion for LEDs? Also with so many different bands by the different manufacturers using different wavelengths, reflectors, lenses, I think that calculation gets a bit muddied? I guess if you know the spectrum, and find the light closest to the spectrum of your LEDs, you can get close though

Comment

Originally posted by Waltermelon View Post
            You are correct it can be converted, but I didn't see any conversion for LEDs? Also with so many different bands by the different manufacturers using different wavelengths, reflectors, lenses, I think that calculation gets a bit muddied? I guess if you know the spectrum, and find the light closest to the spectrum of your LEDs, you can get close though
            You're right, although conversion between lux and PPFD is theoretically possible, it doesn't seem practical. I was reacting to the seeming notion that lux is a useless measure. It's not. For anything but the candy colored rainbow of LED lights, it works fine (like for MH, HPS, LED light bulbs, and CFL). You don't need an absolutely perfect value for the measurement to be useful. Relative values work too. Just sayin'...

Comment

I didn't mean to say that the measure was useless. It could be, say if the par was COMPLETELY missed in the spectrum. But lux can be useful IF you know you're par is correct.
              I try to stay away from absolutes like never and always useless falls in there also. If someone uses those words, I'm usually about 98% sure it's false.

Comment

But it does seem clear that a cheap lux meter is not helpful for measuring the blurple LED that I love to rock cuz they're cheep too. Will they work for the white-light COB LEDs?

Is there an effective alternative for measuring the blurple light? Or do we just keep titrating our way to a functional proportionality, adding more light if our buds keep coming out small and larfy?
                Nothing is foolproof for the sufficiently talented fool.

Comment

That’s not really what i do man... the lights are
                  purchased just in case and as I did my last Grow I maybe could have added one more towards the end . My
                  buds never came out small and leafy , but rather on one plant large and not too dense.... but it’s how I had the lights positioned that helped this as well.... the Lux meter was designed to be for LED measuring and from the way I have it working , even if it’s not accurate it seems to be pretty close to help me not cause burning . I put a pic of the bud I grew with LED for my first time, to me I could have had these buds larger , the other plant produced larger buds that werent as dense and it was under a smaller watt panel for most of the Grow

Comment

• DingusKhan
                    DingusKhan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Those look really tasty, Brandon.

That's how I described how I've been doing it. I started with a budget light, a GalaxyHydro 300, pretty cheap, but did the trick. I let my plant vet a little too long, and got a little too big for the light's footprint. My buds weren't larfy, but they weren't very dense either. Kinda like marshmallow density. Very very frosty, though. A popcorn nug would light easily, give a nice, thick, greasy plume of smoke, and the bud would burn away to a very small wisp of ash.

Now I use 2 of those and a Roleadro COB 400 that shines white, not purple. I like it for that reason alone, and it's about the right size for the plants I grow. My buds are denser, but could be better. So I'm saving up for either a ViparSpectra 600 reflector or similar vs an LC315 or similar LEC.

Instead of measuring and calculating, I've been slowly adding more smaller lights instead of getting one giant expensive one, and then play with distances and arrangements, and all that, backing off when I think it's too much. You know, give the right amount of light for the size of plant as she seems to need it. It's not the most efficient way to find what works, but it's the way that I enjoy the process of discovery most.

Thanks man , you described perfectly the outcome I had
                  with my morsen lights lol

Comment

I’ve got some fuct shit
                    going on in this Grow... I gotta get to the bottom of it , I have been just lagging on this Grow all together , when I get home I’ll post what im dealing with now

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X