Re-use soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-use soil

I will be planting in the next two weeks. I grow in 5 gal pots outside on my Mirador. My question is: Can I re-use the soil that was used previously? I have four pots ready to set up. I will mix up the soil, add some perlite and clean it as best as possible. Do I need to do more? Do I need all new soil?
    Tks

I always purchase new soil for every new grow, but it could be that I am wasting resources. I have wondered the same question, and feel that adding nutrients should resolve that. However in regular vegetable gardening rotating crops is usually advised. I may mix super soil this next grow season, and forget about the premix.

Comment

• Zira1
      Zira1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Tks for the info. I will purchase new soil tomorrow and spread the old soil on my regular garden. I get my soil from a couple (growers) who live in the next town over. I don't know what is mixed in it but it works well for me. Tks again.

• starramus
      starramus commented
      Editing a comment
      That is what I have done in the past handing down the used soil for the vegetable garden.

This might better answer both of our questions. http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2003/01/21/2809

Comment

• Paracelsus
      Paracelsus commented
      Editing a comment
      written in 2003, new techniques are in use.
      Soil is a renewable resource
      Good quality is $40 for 1.5 cubic feet. multiply that by 2 or 3 grows a year times the size of your grow and you can see the wisdom.

I have used soil again only once and it dident workout well at all!
    Go with new or amend the soil u havelol

Comment

You could always compost your old soil in a bin and rotate the soils for grows. Just add some amendments to it, get it moist (not soaked), and let it sit. The amendments will break down and be readily available for your plants come planting time.
      just an idea, beats buying new stuff all the time

Oh yay, maybe add some EWC or compost too for the beneficial bacteria. Helps with the composting process
      "Be an artist of consciousness, your picture of reality is your most important creation, make it powerfully profoundly beautiful" Alex Grey

Current grows in flower 🌺
      5 Star Killer 1 Terp-n-Pine "manifolds", four 7 gallon, two 5 gallon fabric, super soil, water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea (started modified nute program beneficial waterings/amendments (no bottles) at week 3
      600 actual watts, 12 gen7 vero 29 cobs, 70 watts deep red/far red (emerson effect)

2 GOO & 2 Island Sweet Skunk, 5 gallon fabric, super soil
      Water, molasses, occasional tea or root organics HPK tea
      400 actual watts, LED build

Canna nutrients line with boost - dwc, Terpinator - dwc
      ​​​​​​botanicare calmag plus and GH silica, pH up/down

Super soil - mixed myself
      13.5x14 grow room divided, 13.5x6 flower 6" can fan pro max/can-lite carbon filter, 13.5x8 veg/work room passive intake

Comment

Originally posted by Potted View Post
        I have used soil again only once and it dident workout well at all!
        Go with new or amend the soil u havelol
        Ya know I think you are right. For the meager savings it is not worth the risk. I will use my old soil to fill the holes the damn dog has dug around the yard.

Comment

I reused some soil (which already was a mix of two different bagged soils, adding to the problem) and it didn't go well at all. Now I dump old soil in the regular houseplants--our silly little unkillable foliage plant has become a monster--or out in the yard.
        ****tent (2x4) and large light (Relassy 300W LED) is in storage for now until I can solve some household electrical issues****

CoM Stonington Blend soil, distilled water; Liquid Squid amendment if needed, molasses for flowering

"I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

Comment

Tried it. Sucky results.

Comment

Dump it in a compost bin and use it in the vegetable garden. Given the effort and other associated costs with growing, why chance reusing soil?
            Organic only soil grower
            Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
            Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

I always reuse my soil.

But never reuse it for my cannabis.

Like many others stated...It goes out in the yard. I grow fruit trees and other edible herbs and vegetables, they love getting the hand me downs. Lol The used soil just gets added to what's existing or for any new planting my wife plans for the yard.
            Lots of nutrients left but not enough to grow a nutrient hungry plant like MJ. My .02 cents
            Cheers
            "Life is not about being dealt a great hand but playing a poor hand well"...

•Roots Organics over kindsoil in 5gal fabric pots

•600w hps supplement w/Kind LEDs during flower

•4" can-fan w/can-filter(carbon)

•14,000btu air conditioner

Comment

• KingKush
              KingKush commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed 100%.
              Cannabis (for good buds) is a high needs plant.

I agree with Paracelsus, re-purpose the soil or work on a compost area. Soil is valuable and can easily be renewed at home.

But in this situation, you will need new soil. Get some new soil this time Zira1, and find some clever uses for the old stuff like house plants, or smoothing the lawn.

Its not ALWAYS so easy to say "oh just compost your old soil grow" because look at these root balls!! After I shake the dirt off the roots or get most of the roots away I am left with a meager pile of perlite and a few chunkier bits from the bucket. It's all compacted and full of root material which would take years to decompose properly.
            So, even with bacteria, fungus and other composting methods, re-using your old soil is a long term solution. Won't do much for you in the short term but it's definitely something to consider after a few grows in store bought soil.

Im fortunate that for now, FFOF is only $12 for 1.5cubic feet.
            Now that's DIRT CHEAP.

Comment

• Paracelsus
              Paracelsus commented
              Editing a comment
              no way I'd put a root ball in compost, I'm talking about the pot soil after the roots have been shook out. Minor debris and pulp add to the loam nd drainage and will eventually break down. Worm Farm your kitchen scraps and even your Lolly Pop trim Keep them worms happy. Fox Farm Ocean Forest is going for $1500 for 75 1.5 liter bags bulk or $40 a bag on Amazon.
              Last edited by Paracelsus; 01-22-2018, 11:39 AM.

• Locrian99
              Locrian99 commented
              Editing a comment
              Soil and premixed coco are way more expensive online than at the local store. If you have the option, I think I pay around 14 a bag for the ocean Forest and happy frog is I think about 11. Here in Oregon though there’s plenty of grow shops. I am thinking of trying some strawberries in fabric pots with the soil from my recent harvest and giving them the runoff water from when I water my plants. More of an experiment, I have everything on hand to germinate them other than the seeds which I can pick up cheap. And gives me something to do with those 44 rapid rioters in the basement fridge lol

• Paracelsus
              Paracelsus commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes for sure I have been on line and the box stores want more. I'm in a prohibition state not stocked regularly in the few garden shops. Strawberries will love it. Prices here are not competitive with the West Coast, in fact we pay a premium because of prohibition. I'm glad you are re-purposing the soil

It appears, by my tally of votes, the practicality of reusing premix soil for cannabis is 7 against, and 2 for. And this is from real world experience. Sometimes being "green", and renewable just isn't practical. I know for certain my wife is not going to save the planet by turning down a plastic bag at the super market when the brunt of humanity is working in the opposite direction. I wish that this weren't true, but have accepted the harsh reality that we are in a downward spiral.
            Last edited by starramus; 01-22-2018, 12:56 PM. Reason: i toopid

Comment

• Paracelsus
              Paracelsus commented
              Editing a comment
              True most are placebo at best but affect your own environment for the best. Free your mind and your ass will follow, I love hydroponics but only at the level where there is no waste water and nothing goes down the drain. One day every time we turn on the water it will cost us much more money than it does already now.

I use a soilless mix based off of LC's #1 and I flush it after harvest and remix with new.
            If I suspect any nasty little critters are lerking in the old mix I will bake it clean. I do 250@ 45min. Then I will blend some diatomaceous earth, if for no other reason than, I just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
            G

Comment

I do outside grows every year and I dig a hole then fill it with super soil in a new hole ,in a old hole from year before I shovel out the hole amend the soil and reuse well this last year there was a marked difference between the new holes and old holes in size and yields so I would say reusing soil is a negative
              new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
              current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

mmmm Farmers use the same soil every year. Land, they don't make it like they used to!
                My Growing and going full tilt NoTill NTG thread https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...l-tilt-no-till
                The universities do not teach all things

Comment

• Paracelsus
                  Paracelsus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Smart ones do, Agricorp just pours more fertilizers and incecticides and keeps going

• greenforce
                  greenforce commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Crop rotation isn't just about soil admendment. It is also a great way to cash in twice on the same ground in a calendar year. Well, that's the idea anyway.

• D.A.A.S.69
                  D.A.A.S.69 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If your using nutrients, of course you can reuse soil. Even in buckets.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X