Sand as a soil amendment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sand as a soil amendment?

Starting a new run soon and wanted to drain some brains about the idea of mixing bagged soil with sand.
    I had in mind Ocean Forest soil with yellow construction/dune sand mixed in. 2/3rd soil to 1/3rd sand.
    The goal is the same: increase pore space (more oxygen in root zone), and also better drainage (uniform wet/dry)

I maintain golf course putting greens for my job and so I'm familiar with growing on sand especially since my course is built on top of ancient dunes. This is what sparked my curiosity because the more sand the merrier for turf grass.

So with the goal being
    1. More oxygen in root zone (larger pore spaces, resist compaction)
    2. Better drainage and more uniform wetting/ drying
    3. Save $$$ (sand is inexpensive or free)

What do you all think about mixing sand with my soil?

Any potential drawbacks im not considering?

1. Dune sand is acidic (5-5.5ph)
    2. Less CEC than high OM soil (not as important with a "closed circuit" - I just leave run off in the drip trays until it gets used up it's not like it gets leached below the root zone like in outdoor crops)
    --- it's not like either of these are really drawbacks.

Please, I'm going to try this unless someone has a reason not to. I'm open to suggestions!

Cheers!

I see no harm in it,wait for others to chime in lol

Comment

hey King Kush I would never of thought of that try doing 1 plant with sand and 1 without this should be interest, the PH is a little low if you prewash the sand does that change the PH?
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

• oldjarhead100
        oldjarhead100 commented
        Editing a comment
        and as a added bonus you could throw a few carrots in with the girls lol, I know I know I'm a smart ass

• KingKush
        KingKush commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes OJH,
        Any smart Ass would encourage the farmer to grow more carrots as they are an excellent source of vitamin A and
        Carotene!
        I read about companion plants. And back to the subject, "wild earth" like freely found sand or soil has a seed bank (meaning it's chocked full of weed seeds just waiting for the right chance)
        So that would be a risk I suppose

We have wild carrot around here. Haha

• oldjarhead100
        oldjarhead100 commented
        Editing a comment
        yes soil would run the risk of weed seeds but sand ,I wouldn't think it would carry seeds of any kind ,If you are using compost leave a dark tarp over it for awhile and it will kill all the wild seeds .in theory any ways lol

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X