LED for veg tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED for veg tent

So I’m looking for a good quality (best my price range can afford) LED for the veg tent. So many different options... so little review information. I would like to keep it around $300usd/$500cad any suggestions? Hoping for 300-600 actual watt draw. Does anybody have and bad experiences? Ones in particular I should avoid? Or has anyone done any side by side comparisons that could help me?
    thanks, looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say
    Setup
    4’x4’x6.6’
    600W MH
    2x innova 19w full spec led
    175cfm fan, can 33 filter
    8gal DIY reservoir/ hydro system

The tent is 4x4 I would like to be able to use the whole area
    Setup
    4’x4’x6.6’
    600W MH

Comment

• gdogfunkly
      gdogfunkly commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to disagree with that. The tent allows complete control over temperature, humidity and smell. Unless you have a grow room with ideal conditions to begin with. If I wasn't using a tent, my temps would be 10 degrees lower and RH would be at 30% and my plants would not be enjoying the growth they are right now, plus my cats would likely eat them

• Paracelsus
      Paracelsus commented
      Editing a comment
      I see the wisdom of having a separate veg area with two flower areas, one starting to flower and one near harvest, so you can do a perpetual harvest every 30 days. Plus a cutting seedling clone area.
      3 tents would let you control the environment and the lighting needs for each stage of growth.

• BlueBudz
      BlueBudz commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya in an environment like the one I’m in I need the tents to maintain constant conditions.

On GWE lighting info, they recommend ViparSpectra as a great choice. Given your budget, I would say get two of these and that would be adequate for a 4x4: https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-...arspectra+600w

If you had a larger budget, I would go for PlatinumLED p9-XML2 (the big brother to the p4-XML2 I use in my 3x3). It's a square light and is made specifically for a 4x4. But having 2 ViparSpectra would give you height options in the event of taller plants on one side of the tent. I'm also curious about SpectrumKing, but that was out of my price range.

Comment

• BlueBudz
      BlueBudz commented
      Editing a comment
      That one is $1000+$350 shipping😂 That’s almost as much as I have into my whole setup. I find most reviews are people confirming the product works and was shipped fast. Maybe LED isn’t a good choice for my budget. I’m tempted to try a china one, just think I’ll regret it in a year or two

• gdogfunkly
      gdogfunkly commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, that p9-xml2 is pricey for sure. That's why I suggested the VS 600w first There are many grower-based reviews out there if you dig deep enough. From what I've read, I would choose the VS over the galaxy hydro. But given that I only have experience with the light I own, I can only suggest price/performance from what I've researched.

• Paracelsus
      Paracelsus commented
      Editing a comment
      I have spent the last month researching this very question as far as LED's go stay away from the "Disco" lights, made in china too good to be true. If your budget is low (like mine) I would go with a kit and COB high end LED type lighting.
      you can start small and add to them as your budget allows, I'm starting with the $299 but it uses the same components as the high end top of the line systems.
      Affordable LED Lighting for Growers and Makers. Build your own high quality LED lights using name brand parts at an affordable price. Minimal knowledge required.

I've seen some beautiful plants grown with all different kinds on here, pretty much just got to pick one that will cover what you need ,and it will do fine. It don't take much for veg.If I was getting LEDs for everything, I'd get some of those cobs like Mcubed476 has been using.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• BlueBudz
      BlueBudz commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m sure there are many good products, just trying to find out if there are any that stand above or should be avoided based on actual experience you know?

For veg you really can't go to far wrong. Any of the low cost name brands Mars, Virarspectra, etc will go a good job in veg. I use a T5 which is less powerful than any of those and it does good too.
    completed 7 grows
    what I have learned so far:
    environment maters more than nutrients
    at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
    effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• BlueBudz
      BlueBudz commented
      Editing a comment
      How many t5s do you use? What wattage? And is it in a 4’x4’? I can get an 8 bulb fixture for about $250.

• Flockshot
      Flockshot commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine is 8 bulb 4 ft 54 watts each. I can run 4 or 8 bulbs at a time.
      It will not cover 4x4 because the fixture is about 2x4 and you must keep t5 very close to the plant.

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been using a 6 tube T5 for about 8 years now .

Viparspectra - 300 watts, get 3 - about $120 each Canadian.

​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• BlueBudz
      BlueBudz commented
      Editing a comment
      Just checked them out.... I like! Would also be better to have 3 so u can adjust to different heights in one tent. I assume the “daisy chain” is the ability to plug one into another?

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      And having three in that size tent you won't need to move your plants around. And yes I added a 300 (like my signature says) to my last grow, and I believe it increased my yield to 1 gram a watt. Last grow with 3 autoflowers I got 330 grams - 12 ounces.

• BlueBudz
      BlueBudz commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking like the best bang for buck

I love my vipaspectra par 450 and par600 getting great results

Comment

Wow thanks for all the action people! I look forward to as much input as possible. I am currently leaning toward viparspectra 300 (x3) just thinking I could also split them up to add supplemental light to flower tent if veg is small..
      Setup
      4’x4’x6.6’
      600W MH

Comment

Got my 300 on amazon.ca for $119.00 Canadian. No tax as it was classified as horticultural equipment.
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

My last auto bubba one plant twelve ounces dry bud almost three pounds wet

Comment

Bubba auto about four months no change in light schedule

Comment

• kingfish
              kingfish commented
              Editing a comment
              WOW.......

• Paracelsus
              Paracelsus commented
              Editing a comment
              Very impressive, Off to the cure

• Scuzzy
              Scuzzy commented
              Editing a comment
              Is that a Bubba Kush? with brand(company)

To anyone using a Viparspectra light..... the outlet on the light to link multiple lights looks like a special connector based on the pics. Can anyone give me any information on this? Do you need to buy a separate cord or is the picture inaccurate? I want to order one but need answers first. I emailed the company but says two days for a reply.
            Setup
            4’x4’x6.6’
            600W MH

Comment

easy fix- https://www.sunplususa.com/p2-info , could be wrong but thought they are a site sponsor as well, they may even run a discount for forum members no harm in asking, the Pioneer lights are the same as the Optic brand so some of the best out there, this light could also be used for flower in a small environment if needed ,would be very good for clones..
              Last edited by Scuzzy; 01-08-2018, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• BlueBudz
                BlueBudz commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok thanks I’ll check that out

After all considerations I have ordered the VIPARSPECTRA 450. Given all the good. Reviews about the product and the customer service and the fact that for 200w of true power the price is better then any other well known light that I can find. I plan on ordering a second one in the future to add to the tent as well. Thanks for all the help
              Setup
              4’x4’x6.6’
              600W MH

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X