Bubba Kush/ Trainwreck grow by KingKush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bubba Kush/ Trainwreck grow by KingKush

Since this is my first post let's just not mess around. I'm here because I need to boast and brag! Not about myself but the quality of information on GWE thanks to NebulaHaze. Thanks Nebula, you are making waves in the community, and we are confident you will never steer us wrong.
    Anyways, here's some Bubba Kush ("OG Kush" from NorCal, cloned for 11 years, so probably pre98 bubba or something along those lines. Either way it's Kush as Fu@&.)
    And some Trainwreck. Again it's from NorCal, early 2000s and kept in clone only form. Super Silver Haze would be a close descriptor. Pine-sol, lemon-lime, cleaned bathroom...
    Last edited by KingKush; 01-01-2018, 11:26 PM.

Flipped them to HPS bulbs 12/12 right after Thanksgiving. So like wk6. Notice the taco leaves on the OG Kush? Also can you see the leaf tip curl and burn? Yes, probably too much N for the Kush...
    There is 2 OG Kush, and they are part of a defoliation experiment. They are both same-same up to here but I trimmed one and left the other. My best attempt at an experiment with removing fan leaves vs. not.
    This run was basic "topped once, low stress training" with some defoliation throughout veg & wk 1 bud.
    Experiment including stripping aggressively wk 5 after stretch on select plants.

*was trying to "Schwazz" like 3 a Light meaning strip week 1 & 3 but by week three the cold set in and was zapping vigor/growth. I installed a mini space heater and let them be bushy for some extra time just for insurance.
    they are now bush monsters and hence the chance at an experiment.
    Last edited by KingKush; 01-01-2018, 10:39 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Okay so here's the setup. Big custom DIY room. Shoulda stuck w/ 8x8 but it's like 9.5ft x 8.5ft with a 9ft ceiling.
      X2 1000w HPS (Genesis brand, Ebay special)
      x2 galaxy digital grow amps/ballasts running @ 1000w each
      the rest is embarrassing: not sealed, no a/c, no temp or humidity control, simple fan/heater, ghetto walled area in my detached garage. Veg room is a little smaller but better constructed. Cat is not in there very often definitely not good practice. but cute

*quiz: which bulbs are ran off digital vs magnetic ballasts?

Veg room is on the only magnetic ballast hence visible wavelengths in picture. Like taking a pic of an old cathode ray tube computer screen you can literally watch the refresh rate. I think it's the frequency in hertz cause digital is like 100,000hz
      and my magnetic is only 120hz so the camera picks it up.
      Last edited by KingKush; 01-01-2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• Aloner
        Aloner commented
        Editing a comment
        I like your watchdog!

FFOF soil
      Wholly Mackerel liquid for veg
      Roots Organics Buddha Bloom liquid for bloom
      Roots Organics Elemental powder mixed with soil or
      topdressed
      DIY air pots (yea yea LOL...or is it?)

CAUTION: FFOF gives you thrips and fungus gnats!!! Pretty much guaranteed in my personal experience. Just hope it comes with some beneficial bacteria too??? I know it's wishful thinking.

I'm an avid fan of fish emulsions/ fish protein hydrosylates.
      Also I adore guanos, kelp extracts, castings, and humic acids.
      Im sure the ladies agree.

More random pics for New Years sake.
      KPK "X" is some self made bagseed. Second try at it it's alright but probably will let it go. Fruity doo doo funk type smell. Likes to hermaphrodite and spit out ball sacks crazy. No bueno
      Last edited by KingKush; 01-01-2018, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Here's some final pics from last run.
        Left is KPK "X"
        Right is Trainwreck
        If I remember I bloomed for 45-50 days but coulda went longer. Chopped immediately when I found bud rot on those mega colas (right when these pics were taken)

Comment

Nice setup, and I get the feeling you enjoy this, lol. I just got a Revolution DEva 1000, this has the square wave technology, and the Ushio bulb puts off 2100 par. It has a programmer which can run 512 of these lights, fully dimmable either by watt or percentages. This is my first run with it, so far so good!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by GroJimmy; 01-02-2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

GroJimmy You are right! Definitely up my alley. Love the square wave technology that is the future. Those are sweet all
            inclusive setups!
            bulbs = $55ea
            ballasts = $170ea
            hoods = $60ea
            total = $570 I spent on my setup
            I coulda had that DE revolution with a light mover for cheaper!

Comment

• KingKush
              KingKush commented
              Editing a comment
              Not to mention the electricity savings! Im extremely wasteful my last run was about 500grams off 2000watts...
              Boo!!! The Titan box is nice for me because my garage already had a 240v dryer plug wired in. I literally just moved the romex to my wall and plugged it into the Titan box. Got the appropriate cords for the ballasts and now all three can run only pulling 15amps instead of 30amps (which was going to be impossible with the current breaker panel)
              That wall and the respective bulbs ended up costing me $900+ to get my "perpetual" 2 room grow. Not to mention two hundred bucks just for the lumber!!!

The owner mentioned that ushio was coming out with a cmh for this Fixture, that would be cool. So far this light is great, too hot for a small space though. And I beleave the controller will work with the phantom, as long as it has a com port.

Comment

Update on the defoliation experiment: Everything on the left is bushy and left alone after wk4. Things on the right have been stripped wk5 and are about due again. It really won't matter until we see them in their glory on harvest day.

Comment

• GroJimmy
                GroJimmy commented
                Editing a comment
                You are correct!

We learn as we grow! My project after this run is experimenting with Jack's Hydroponic 3, 2, 1 nutrient formula, all dry,. if this works, it will save tons time and dollars. Not much info on this, I'm told the big commercial growers use it, so of course I have to try it, lol.

Comment

• KingKush
                KingKush commented
                Editing a comment
                Well let's just look at it this way:
                Golf courses vs homeowners.

As a licensed Commercial Pesticide Applicator/ Turf Grad/ Golf Course Assistant Superintendent I can give you some insight but most definitely I can read labels. This stuff is hot! Yea you only use teaspoons to make gallons. So 25lbs might last a hobbyist 10years lol.
                What info do you need? It's all synthetic sources. That doesn't make it bad it just makes it easy to ruin things like your crop and environment. Not something to "drain to waste" or "discard runoff." We are already ruining our chances of freedom by "flushing" phosphates and nitrates down the environment. All that is bad management. If people who believe in that crap get their hands on this we WILL be shut down by The Man.
                Sorry to rant but it's at least on my own thread.

Flushing is a myth based on flawed science.
                If you collect run off and discard it in anything but a growing medium you are destroying our planet.

(I just use plain water for at least 2 waterings before harvest. That's not flushing but rather proper techniques to improve taste/ throatfeel.)
                Last edited by KingKush; 01-02-2018, 05:55 PM.

Okay so the first two pics are an OG Kush "wk5 defoliate" and the last three are an OG Kush "no defoliate anymore." Just so you all can see things for yourselves what I mean by that.
              It seems like I'm not stripping them enough but all the leaves left are frosty and close inside the budlets and I can't bring myself to snip off frosty leaves :/
              We all need more access to unbiased experiments.

Comment

• GroJimmy
                GroJimmy commented
                Editing a comment
                I try to keep the canopy flat as possible, and remove just leaves blocking light to the lower portion of the colas, the smaller leaves usually stay, for powering the buds. Towards the last two weeks I remove 50% of what's left. This has cut down trim time by 2/3d. I also keep as much of the tiny sugar leaves as possible, frosted flakes are great!

Day 39

This is my first journal I apologize to my readers who find the organization lacking. Please, allow me to explain,

I only have 1 Trainwreck this run it's the octopus one all splayed out with the only yellow leaves.
              There's only 2 Bubba Kush that I keep calling OG Kush haha. -The person I got it from calls it OG Kush but told me it could be Bubba Kush cause they had both, but lost one, because the strains were so similar.
              There are three KPK "X" - bagseed I called Kingpin Kush X
              And one KPK "C" - which is the same bagseed, different pheno

If you search "Bubba Kush" that's exactly what I'm growing for 2 plants this run. Promise to have more of this strain in the future! The Trainwreck is an excellent representation of what a pot smoker in the early2000s would remember about smoking Trainwreck. It's a rare breed these days that lurks in the murky depths of yesteryears past.

Im not going to label this a Kingpin Kush grow as that only exists in my imagination. It's made up and likes to hermaphrodite. Its going to be replaced with new genetics aka different bagseed LOL!!!
              Last edited by KingKush; 01-02-2018, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• GroJimmy
                GroJimmy commented
                Editing a comment
                Killer!

Day 41

Top is Trainwreck
              Bottom Is pre98 Bubba Kush

Comment

• KingKush
                KingKush commented
                Editing a comment
                Argh!! Frigging hair... stuff you don't see until you post on your journal and study the pictures.
                The cat has been using the garage more since it's cold, sleeping on top of the room no doubt. Cat hair is ridiculous.

Went and visited my Grow Guru last night and 'borrowed' a few nugs to brag about. These are not my nugs but great examples of the strains.

Trainwreck came from an error in a seed-pack 15 years ago. It was the odd woman in the room, not what was advertised on the packet.
              After cultivating it for so long, one begins to get curious as to what's growing: this is the strain most like it.

Pre98 Bubba Kush came from clones from a fellow grower who had OG Kush and Bubba Kush. Things got mixed up/ lost and what we have now after 12 years is called "OG Kush" or "The Kush" by all of us. Surprisingly, pictures floating on the internet are fairly consistent when it comes to pre98 Bubba Kush, therefore the claim seems legitimate to be able to call this pre98 Bubba Kush.

They are both kept by us as clone-only, photoperiod strains.
              However.... I did have a few Kush in a seeded out crop that survived with only 3 seeds. How 4 plants only made 3 seeds is awesome, testament to the stability of the genes. And I got one out of those seeds germinated. Hope to see what transpires!

What do you think of these comparison pics?

Comment

Nice and dense as they should be, nice colors!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X