Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to switch to Flowering, and should i combine lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to switch to Flowering, and should i combine lights?

Hi. I am trying to start a journal, as I expect over the next while i will be hoping for advice. i am 7 weeks into my first grow of 4 plants (white rhino, blueberry, critical widow and Cinderella 99). 3 by 3 grow tent in living soil with coco of an inch at bottom and top of 3 gallon fabric pots, using a 300w LED light that has no brand name on it. I am hoping to not have to use nutrients at all except maybe molasses at the end, due to the use of the organic Sohum living soil. i was going to wait to start flowering to use a new HPS light that is expected later in the week . however, i am now confirmed as moving away (likely in 2 to 3 weeks) for at least a few months and will be hoping my wife can look after the babies through the rest of growth. because of this, I am going to start flowering ASAP so I am around for as much of the growth spurt as possible. this will hopefully let me get things automated as much as possible regarding temperature and humidity, I hope. I intend to add the new light when it arrives. two questions:
    1 i thought i read that you can jump start them by extended dark at the start, but dont see the article - PLease - is this something recommended?
    2. once I get the new dimmable 600w HPS light, should I use both at same time, or just the HPS?
    A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

600w HPS is enough for your tent. Heat may well be an issue for you depending on circulation.
    Many soil growers need a boost of nutrition about 1/2 way through flower, depending on the quality of your soil.
    To start the process just provide 12 hours of complete darkness. More darkness than that, just means less plant development.
    Make sure that the person doing the watering understands how to PH the water, and don't blame her if the plants don't do well.
    completed 7 grows
    what I have learned so far:
    environment maters more than nutrients
    at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
    effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

Morning Bootsy, those are some nice plants.
      Yeah just do what Flockshot said above an good luck.
      If your soil is good, water might be all you need.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

thanks for the advice, and the compliment folks. Until I looked at some grows on this site, I thought mine were hurting and super slow, but it seems that second hand knock-off LED worked out to start, not the best but not the worst. i will watch the temperature, but so far, even with my LEDs on, I have had a heater going all day. wondering though about humidity as my basement is super dry in winter. that's why i want to get started right away so i can assess. would it be hard to if they need food during the flowering? Must check what lowest humidity recommended is.. These babies are quite forgiving so far.
        A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Comment

• Flockshot
          Flockshot commented
          Editing a comment
          low humidity if flower can be a good thing

He bootsy nice lookin ladies. I'm in my first round of ss loving it. I'm no expert or scientist so. I do aact ever water made with casting and compost. In between I do sprouted seed teas. My dirt guy said that water only would be fine but the tea is a bonus. I'm 1 week in flower so I have switched to a fungal dominant tea and started adding guano for a p k boost. I'm in love with the living soil . Built a soil has a lot of cool stuff. Happy gardening

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
          D.A.A.S.69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah ,an I'll probably hear a little static from this but your final product even smokes better, tastes better.

Hi. interesting! a tea? worth checking out in case. thanks. if you have any info to check out or where to go, please do?

Comment

So, now i had to close the door of the tent and turn on the exhaust fan, which is just circulating to my basement after filter. the temperature i can control and set at 24 for flowering. the humidity is stabilizing at 30 to 31%, and they havent been watered in 3 or 4 days. i had them at 65 % most of the time before the timing switch today. I realize they need lower for flowering, but is that too low? I can add humidity if required, and expect that when they are watered moisture will jump. Night time, without heat it will go to 18C, but i can set the night heater for higher. i keep seeing ranges, but what would you folks suggest for a specific night temperature to try for?

Comment

• Bootsy
            Bootsy commented
            Editing a comment
            the smell was becoming noticeable. but filter unit apparently works well - nothing now

Photos taken today. i will be loading my new HID tomorrow. Question is whether to use Metal Halide or HPS at this point. do I wait for the flowers to start showing? I will be leaving town in two weeks, and must get HPS set-up before that to stabilize everything. gotta make this as easy and satisfying as possible for my wife, who is not a consumer. these babies are very forgiving so far.

Comment

• Cronk
            Cronk commented
            Editing a comment
            beautiful. nice work so far, especially on the manifolds.

• BlueBudz
            BlueBudz commented
            Editing a comment
            I say use the hps right away

a few people have mentioned that i may need nutrients partway thru flowering. How do I know?

Comment

i have grow journal started in the regular forum, if anyone is interested. i wont be checking this thread again . thanks

Comment

Boots,worst case, with a living soil your plants will make it thru flower with just water. Whats it take to ph your water 5mil. up? down? whatever,show her. Then sit her down & show her how to log on to G.W.E. and post a question. We'll try to help.

Comment

• Bootsy
                Bootsy commented
                Editing a comment
                i have done both suggestions. thank you. and she takes good photos that could be posted.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X