Best shelf light for seedlings/clones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best shelf light for seedlings/clones?

As I'm beginning to think about trying my hand at cloning and also for starting seeds for Spring, I want to get a cloning/seedling station setup. I've recently purchased an adjustable shelf and it's 30" wide x 12" deep. I have a germination tray with humidity dome and I can't decide on a 2 foot 2-bulb T5 ballast or a 2 foot 4-bulb T5 ballast. My original intent was to cover the sides of the shelf so I'm not just lighting up the room with the T5, but the 4-bulb version is just slightly wider than the depth of the shelf, so I would not be able to enclose the area. I guess my question is would this 2-bulb light sitting 4" above the dome be enough for clones/seedlings in the 10"x20" tray with 7" humidity dome?

Menards sells a 4 bulb vanity light bar 24 " long for $18.59 that easily mounts to the top of any cabinet, they also have a three bulb 18" bar for $8.50, and they get eight bucks for 150 watt equiv. C.F.L. light bulbs. Raise and lower plants to maintain plant to light distance. That provides plenty of light to take your seedlings all the way thru veg and if you want remove two of the bright white bulbs and replace with soft white bulbs, and rock that cabinet thru flower. Oh yeah they're chrome too.

Comment

That 4-bulb light bar is rated for 100W bulbs max. I believe using that setup would reduce my shelf space even more, which is why I was asking about the T5 ballast above since it would fit perfectly within the confines of the shelf. Just not sure that 2 bulbs is enough light for clones/seedlings.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X