Thinking about summer grows and a swamp cooler in a tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about summer grows and a swamp cooler in a tent

It;s pretty hot here in the summer, July and August. I;m still on my first grow but I'm planning the next and the next....and so on.

I have a stand alone air conditioner but it;s not very efficient. I was wondering about these Swamp Coolers I read about here. I think these are also called Evaporative coolers and cool by releasing water vapor into the air? is it recommended to put a small one in a tent during how summer months or will this be both inefficient and dangerous for the plants?

I was planning to skip the late summer months but I'd really like to squeeze on in there

There's no way I can cool my entire space so I'm thinking of just the tent

form factor on this one is right, reviews suck https://www.amazon.com/Luma-Comfort-...orative+Cooler

OR is a Swamp Cooler something else entirely?
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
    Automatic top feed into coco.
    Mega Crop nutes

Cronk,

Swamp/evap. cooler is the same thing. Why they call it a swamp cooler is beyond me cuz they won't work in humid environments.

I lived in a very dry part of TX for 18 years, and lots of folks had evap. coolers. They're basically a poor man's ac. I would be concerned about the amount of humidity it would generate inside the tent, and with the lights, I don't know how good one of those would be at bringing down the temperature. Do some more research on the swamp coolers; I never had one.

When I bought my BCNL RoomMate, they told me to install a window ac unit and keep the grow room at 70 degrees, but that was out of the question for me. Ultimately I bought chillers for my hydro reservoirs. However, I believe that one of my plants hermied and I got seeds on my last grow because of how hot it got during flowering. I tried to keep the room at 74 degrees, but sometimes it was above that, which means it was hotter inside the boxes. That's my theory, anyway, cuz I know it wasn't light leaks.

In conclusion: this ain't no cheap hobby!! Chillers are expensive, air conditioning is expensive. It can get very expensive to create the right environment depending on where one lives. I'd say you'd be better looking at installing an ac unit (and ducting out the hot air it generates if you use a portable one). It's a total waste to use a portable one unless you have a duct for the hot air.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I can see it causing humidity problems. maybe the duct fan would suck it all out, along with the cool air.

Probably best to take these months off. I may try to vent my stand alone ac into the tent for an experiment, or moving it to the basement.

thanks
      Last edited by Cronk; 12-26-2017, 04:52 PM.
      complete beginner
      39" x 39" x 78" tent
      315 Watt CMH
      4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
      Automatic top feed into coco.
      Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I will also skip the hottest months next year; it's real good if you have a basement you can move the tent to!! I was wondering that yesterday.

I would soley go for a window banger or a portable ac that is a larger output of BTUs than your lights and exhaust fan will produce combined (along with anything else that produces heat).

The swamp cooler is soley evap. Similar to your bodys way of cooling off (sweat evaporation). There is no "cooling" other than basicly humidifying your room from the schematics i had a quick look at.

It will increase your RH%, and pending where you exhaust to....

Compressors (air conditioner) are the way to go if you want real cooling.

Please visit www.honestgr.ca for reviews on grow equipment. It is going slowly as I am trying to find products to review (and supportive companies!) I do giveaways there, do not tell me your from GWE however.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X