Is trouble brewing here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is trouble brewing here?

Forgive me if I am being overly anxious, but my last grow was plagued with problems so I want to stay on top of things with grow #2!

Here are two shots of my Northern Lights seedlings in coir. The larger one seems to have slightly yellow on the ends, larger leaves than the one that is a day behind. I think you can see it better in the shot that wasn't in direct sunlight...especially if you enlarge it.

They are under CFLs right now and I gave them half strength (for seedlings) cal/mag and half strength Botanicare Progrow nutes PH 6 for their first water. I let the first inch or so of coir dry out and then, the day before yesterday, I gave them clear water at about pH 6 or just above. The runoff for the bigger plant was just above pH 6 and the smaller was pH 5.7.

I looked at the pictures of plant problems and can't really tell what it might be.

Thoughts and ideas please? Thank you!

Do u have any drainage?

Comment

• Spanky
      Spanky commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. Lots. Holes on the very bottom and slits on the sides near the bottom. I used the test: I could not fill the empty cup with water due to good drainage.

Morning Spanky, if they were mine I'd go ahead an get them into their final pots with coco, and give them some good powerful light, where they can grow, an just don't overwater or over feed them for several weeks. Those Northern Lights like to grow big, so just keep your PH right and watch em grow big.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• Spanky
      Spanky commented
      Editing a comment
      Please check out my update below.

Yeah they look alright, I would transplant them an give them a higher feeding... Not nothing crazy, but just kinda looks like it wants some nitro. But I would just make sure your roots aren't bounding up in the bottom of that cup... I use solo cups as well but I've moved on recently to 2 liter bottles with top cut out..they do seem small still an could be way off...but seems that when I start with a solo cups the roots bound to the bottom very quickly.. an can cause problems that look like something else and stresses me out!lol i like to focus on the roots the first few weeks... s seems that if I can get them monster roots right away the plant takes off an is more forgiving... but just looks a little hungry, happy growing!! An Merry Christmas

Comment

• Spanky
      Spanky commented
      Editing a comment
      Please check out my update below.

Thank you so much guys! I am having shortness of breath and other panic related symptoms and your diagnosis has really helped. Once you read through this, could you see if your instructions need any fine tuning?

I took more pics because in just a few hours it seems worse. Maybe it is my imagination, but the little one looks like it is getting the yellowing from the tip inward too. What you say makes sense because I put the rooted seeds in the coir on Dec 6. They sprouted within a day of each other, a couple days later.

When I transplant, does it hurt to gently loosen any root ball?

The coir they are in is wet from their last watering which had no nutes. The grow bag coir is damp too because I ran clear water...pHed...through because I didn't like pH I got from the first run off. I will transplant them within the next hour. Should I let them be for a few days under their lights with a gentle breeze and a thermostatically controlled heater for night time? I am feeling like I shouldn't even water them in. They are due for their next feeding with the next watering. That should give them some nitrogen. Should I keep up with the half strength cal/mag for the next watering?

What criteria should I use for their next feed and water? Dry first inch on top or a certain time? I think they will dry more quickly in the cabinet as they will have the fan and heater. I will keep this next feed to a small amount of nutes and see how they seem once they have been in their new home for a while. I expect these leaves won't get better no matter what.

Finally, they have been under constant CFL light with no dark periods since they were born. I will fix that today, but could that have contributed to the problem?

Comment

What Coco are you using, did you pre rinse, and where is the perlite???? ( I can't see it)
      Looks like over watering to me. And agree once leaves hit the edge of current container cool to transplant in larger container.
      They'll make it and I'm subbing 😊
      Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
      Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
      GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
      photoperiod feminized seeds
      http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
      http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
      http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

• Spanky
        Spanky commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Tika and Meow,
        Yes, I did rinse it thoroughly when I broke up the block. There is vermicullite in there and even more in the grow bags. Which is now where they be. 75.6 and heater set to come on at 65. A bunch of CFLs. In a few days I will turn on the LED.

When I took them out of the cups, most of the cup material came with them. I could see roots on the bottom and sides, but not thick and strangely, just some wisps so I guess it was time. I will have to make note of this for next time.

When I last clear watered the bags, the pH in was 6.5. The run off was 5.0. which I know is a bit low. The next watering they will get cal/mag and Botanicare Progrow which should lower the pH even more I would think. Any thoughts on what I should raise it to with UP?

I am supposed to water to 20 percent run off to avoid salt build up. But how do I do that without overwatering? Water less often even if the coir feels dry down to an inch?

I think Trich and Daas saved me cause I couldn't figure out what was wrong! I hope they read this so they will know I am very grateful.

Thanks for the encouragement and what is subbing?

I am off to read your journals now.

Thanks!

• Trichomefarmer88
        Trichomefarmer88 commented
        Editing a comment
        Tika is brilliant!! Always the best looking healthiest plants! Listen to her an read on her Coco grows would teach you .... Well anyone alot!
        That's how I learned the Coco way ... Lol

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X