Hey, manifolders, do I need to trim these somehow....out of the pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, manifolders, do I need to trim these somehow....out of the pot

I'm at day 31 and since I topped at the 2nd node and quite late due to overwatering during the first two weeks, my main branches are quite long and growing out of the pot. I could let them grow up but then they;d be much taller than the rest. for not I'm drawing them back into the pot sideways and that seems kind of messy. I'm worried about setting myself up for a messy grow in flower.

What do I need to do?

I've topped, defoliated, tied down and continue to do this as needed but I feel like I;m missing some obvious action

5 gallon pots, coco/peat/perlite mix, 1/2 strength nutes, axiom, 315 watt LEC at 27"

anyone?
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
    Automatic top feed into coco.
    Mega Crop nutes

Morning Cronk, I don't get no easier than the way Nebula shows you ,step by step, I don't see how you can mess that up, it ain't all got to be done at once, you just want to try to keep em all the same height an flat, you probably gonna have to get some more lights for that many especially when they get larger.
    Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 12-18-2017, 09:07 PM.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Hey Cronk, Interesting problem. I would release the the ties on the extremities and let them reach for the light, seperate the pots a bit and keep em trimmed. That or up the neuts. and get a pith helmet and a machete.

Comment

• Cronk
        Cronk commented
        Editing a comment
        isn't the idea to keep all the tips at the same level? the reason I have them all tied down.

you say let them go and leave the inner ones behind?

I'm sure you'll get better ideas from growers way more qualified than I. But with proper defol. that 315 should pound the light down to everybody.

Comment

Heres what i learned.. Follow Nebulas step by step like D said. As far as keeping the canopy even it requires tying colas down and lst training that involves time. If you follow her guide and keep your plant healthy and growing strong it really isnt hard.. This is mine rn in week 5big bud. has 18 strong colas

Comment

007 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oooh she's beautiful!

Tie them down in a clockwise fashion to control the height, Circle the pot.
        You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

thanks, all. indeed I've read the tutorial and tied down all the growth so that the canopy stays the same height and continue to lst.

maybe that's not evident form the photo. I'm using wire into the coco instead of ties to the pot. same thing.

I guess I'll just get some short tomato cages and continue. I reckon my issue is the length of the main canopy branches and I just have to deal
          complete beginner
          39" x 39" x 78" tent
          315 Watt CMH
          Mega Crop nutes

Comment

Cronk nice looking ladies you got there. Remove the wires holding the main stem and let them come up a bit, then you can tie each cola or site separately to keep height even. You may have to abandon the wire in the medium method and tie to pots. It looks like you have lots of room near the middle of the plant to let them grow in a bit. Does that even make sense? I know what I mean but not sure that says it haha
            Setup
            4’x4’x6.6’
            600W MH
            2x innova 19w full spec led
            175cfm fan, can 33 filter
            8gal DIY reservoir/ hydro system

Comment

• BlueBudz
              BlueBudz commented
              Editing a comment
              Or maybe if your in no rush to finish you can take some clones from the longer branches to give the others Time to catch up

• Cronk
              Cronk commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm attempting a Green75 style manifold. you think it's not working with the extra long limbs? there is no growth on the inner arms of the limbs, they shot out and formed colas nearer to the ends. like two bushes on a dumbbell. I think a tomato cage might give me more to attach to and better handle these crazies.
              Last edited by Cronk; 12-19-2017, 09:51 AM.

It looks like you cut your plant, allot. Certainly more than in two places. The tutorial has you cut your plant in half early in life. Shortly after you cut the, now two colas, again. This gives most plants 12 growth nodes or potential colas. The tutorial recommends cutting the vertical, second nodes, off. This should result in an eight cola plant.

Comment

• Cronk
              Cronk commented
              Editing a comment
              no, I topped twice as per the tutorial. then I spread out the limbs and held them with wire so that they are low and then controlled the growth further with wires so all growth is even height. I believe it's so out of control because I topped to the 2nd node which is longer than the 3rd was and now I have this crazy growth way far from center. One plus I can see is that I might be able to space them nicely for lots of light as they grow tall. one bad thing is that they are way past the circumference of the pots and will be hard to hold to where I want them. I've since defoliated more and pulled some things tighter inward

we'll see. I'm no longer worried about it. I think it's just a crazy first grow and I'll be ok. the growth tonight is more than pictured . so fast. maybe because I used the Axiom, or the particular nutes I'm using.

I see no issues here... Good job.. Keep it up

Comment

• Cronk
              Cronk commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks for taking a look. good to hear.

• Cronk
              Cronk commented
              Editing a comment
              Green75 how tall do you recommend I let them get before switching? I was thinking 18 inches. The entire canopy is around 8 now

• Green75
              Green75 commented
              Editing a comment
              That's you to you man.. They will get really big once you flip them..

18" is fine its up to how big u want them really and how much they stretch. I always flip mine about 15"

Comment

• Cronk
              Cronk commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Dice. Hoping to get there in two weeks

I don't know why I'm compelled to do this, probably unnecessary but I feel better about it anyway. These are 14 and 16" hoops I think the main stem growth can be kept in control this way, at least train the bottom of the branches to maintain a structure and then let me tie the branches evenly around and upward. I'm spreading them out some and raising the LEC. When the branches set into this form a bit I'll defol again

That Seedsman Jack "Herrer" is on it's own I guess
            Last edited by Cronk; 12-21-2017, 06:28 PM.
            complete beginner
            39" x 39" x 78" tent
            315 Watt CMH
            Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• Cronk
              Cronk commented
              Editing a comment
              mmm, big fat buds. I like that. maybe even a few boom buds

• Vapo69
              Vapo69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Dude is your light still 27" above canopy?......I grow with a 315w and 18"-20" is the furthest away I have minehappy growing

• Cronk
              Cronk commented
              Editing a comment
              Vapo, It's at just above 20 right now. I move it down and then second guess it, then move it up again. I'm not sure what to do. I had some burned leaves a little while back and thought it may be the light, then I thought that if it was low it wouldn't spread to the edges of the tent. I almost got out of bed last night to move it again.

Cronk Your plants look great, I’m playing with a couple but think I over topped the one. What do u think? Some of the growth is just not as strong.
            Setup
            4’x4’x6.6’
            600W MH

Comment

Those are nice. That's the shape I was going for, more contained toward the center and uniform. Nice job. What age were they when you did this? what age now?

I waited too long. I'm no expert but it looks like you took the third node off the one branch?
              complete beginner
              39" x 39" x 78" tent
              315 Watt CMH
              Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• BlueBudz
                BlueBudz commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey, I’m not sure how old they are or what exactly I did. I started a lot of different seeds at different times. Just trying to get my environment figured out. These are at least 8weeks old maybe 10. Had a bunch of problems at first, overwatering and lockout due to PH, cold low humidity etc...

• Cronk
                Cronk commented
                Editing a comment
                was your lockout from nute buildup? how did you flush? how do you maintain now?

They look good now, congrats on the save. I've done 2 feedings in a row with 1/2 strength and I wonder if I should flush next time. reading up on the various methods

No it was due to ph. I was trying for 7ph sometimes being even higher. I was misinformed so I was aiming for this number while overwatering lol I feed according to the label now might actually increase that next time because the one is looking light coloured. I’m very new at all this so every day is school for me!
              Setup
              4’x4’x6.6’
              600W MH

Comment

• BlueBudz
                BlueBudz commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m in pro-mix bx which is a soulless mix of different things. I don’t generally check runoff but anytime I do it’s within .5ph of what’s going in. I haven’t been doing this long enough to say what I “usually” but if they are nice and dry and I’m giving just water I try to give lots to just sort of maintain decent levels. That’s my thinking.. it seemed like the more I cared and worried about stuff the worse it got. Just leave them till they are really dry before watering and keep as close to the light as possible for me is working

• Cronk
                Cronk commented
                Editing a comment
                DAAS, you would only flush of you saw burn, and to correct that?

• D.A.A.S.69
                D.A.A.S.69 commented
                Editing a comment
                Like I said your gonna get alot of different ways people do it, a little tip burn ain't no reason to flush, if all is going good and you got a good grower why flush an take a chance of slowing her down, when you ain't got to, you can flush at the end like everyone does, I'm just saying I ain't flushing unless something's bad wrong.an I hope it ain't nothing that bad. Your gonna hear a thousand different ways.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X