No amber on trichs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No amber on trichs??

I have Nirvana aurora indica here... do some strains have trichs that do not turn amber? Nirvana says these should be ready to harvest in 7 to 9 weeks of flower these are now at week 8 and I don't see even a hint of amber yet just cloudy, anyone know??

Patience, 7 - 9 weeks is a guideline.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

...and don't forget to add a couple weeks after the flip for transition.
      My first grow

Comment

• Speedygreen
        Speedygreen commented
        Editing a comment
        I add 2wks from flip for the transition. That's just me tho.

Breeder guidelines are under ideal conditions. I've had some that flowered for 90 days and breeder said 48! Patience is key at this stage of grow. Go by trichome color. I know it's tough, but patience... my friend!
      DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
      315 LEC
      6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
      6" Carbon filter
      3- 6" fans
      humidifier
      temp and humidity gauge
      5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
      FF trio nutrients

Comment

Silly question, you're moving the plant to natural light for the inspection?

Comment

• bluecanoe
          bluecanoe commented
          Editing a comment
          I pull my plants out into natural light to look at trichomes. It's the only way that I can see the true color without distortion. But I grow autos so my plants get natural and artificial light all throughout their life.

Actually I think I have heard of that. Plants either turn amber only when the plant is pretty much dead or not at all.

Comment

Theres this I found....
          I been growing the same cut AK-47 pheno for 4 or maybe even 5 years now. I love everything about the plant, structure, yield, aroma, potency but i have never been able to judge the trichomes to determine when it's perfectly ready for harvest.

It seems that the common forum belief here is that when the majority of the trichomes turn from clear to milky and when 20%-50% (depending of preference) turn from milky to amber it is ready for harvest. With this strain the breeder suggests a harvest after 7-8 weeks of flowering yet at 7-8 weeks my plant's trichomes are almost all still clear. I've actually let this strain go as long as 14 weeks and the trichs still never really achieve the 20%+ amber level. Another interesting trait is that the buds never really stop growing...

Weeks 2-4 are the standard pistil explosion of growth shooting from every flowering site on the plant. Weeks 3-4 are steadily adding mass to all the flowering sites. Weeks 5-6 is when the fur-ball looking masses of pistils actually start to appear full bud structure and dense with noticeable calyx development. Weeks 7-8 nothing much seems to happen, there is still some growth but the vigor in prior weeks seems to be put on pause yet the vast majority of the pistils (95%+) are still white and full of life. During week 9 is when the calyxes really swell up and the buds truly appear full, dense and beautiful. Although the bud looks full and ready for harvest, 90% of the pistils and still white and at least 75% of the trichomes are still clear. After 9 weeks the buds begin to get crazy fox tail formations and i tend to start loosing leaves as well as a great deal of yellowing and purple leaves. Weeks 10-14 continue on in the same fashion that week 9 ended, lots of color change in my leaves (losing the green) and lots of fox tailing in bud growth but still never achieving many amber trichs and still at least 50%+ clear trichs.

I've grown plenty of other strains that seem to follow the typical standards peak maturity in the last couple weeks (calyxes swell, pistils start dying off and trichs turn from clear-cloudy-amber) but this strain which happens to be my all time favorite just doesn't seem to follow the rules....

Has anyone gown a strain like this or just want to share their thoughts on it????

and this .....

There are phenos that simply do not get real amber, I know that for sure.
          And it's not only a few strains, if anything it seems to get more common today (hybrids without real amber thricomes).
          You could wait and get darker brown/yellow thrics, but what you see is overripe bud - not the amber you want.
          "
          This is the gist of the replies I've gotten when I ask your question (similar ones).
          I used to grow outdoors when younger, and relatively recently started growing modern hybrids indoors.

I have the same "problem" myself at the moment, and I'm not sure it only genetics - the environment is usually a big factor in everything.
          With "problem" I mean no amber, a lot of clear, but still great potency after harvest!

Maybe the plant never get enough clues that it's all over (winter is coming), I wish I knew.

But since you've grown the same strain for several years, and loving the result, the question becomes why is the potency so good, when it still has so many clear thricomes?

I would like to know this, because when this happens you can't help but feel like there had to be more potential in the plant!

But the fact is, I love the potency of my latest harvest - which means all the clear thricomes are irrelevant (no amber, and about 60% milky - the rest was clear at harvest!).

I would love to get real information about this topic.

BTW: After a month of curing, you'll notice yellow/amberish thrics anyway, but that's another topic.

These are just comments from people on other forums, not scientific fact. Hope this helps.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's good description Dutch ,I've seen that happen on a bunch of different plants with the same seeds, from the past year's crops ,mostly Oaxacan landrace seeds, some turns amber some don't. That's funny ain't it.

It has actually been 10 weeks I switched to 12/12, I took some of the pop corn buds that are low on the branches and it is kick ass very nice buzz the creeps up and stays with you for several hours I can only imagine the real buds will be even better. I had asked the question of the trics because another person I met on another forum started his grow about a week before mine (a different strain then me) but he has done several grows before. Well he harvested his about 2 weeks ago saying even though he did not have any amber he felt it was time to harvest.... he has real nice cob lights with a couple of those quantum board lights to go with his cobs and got huge colas I just have 2 300W amazon lights so I figure the lower power lights I have will mean a longer time to go amber but the trichs have been 98% milky white now for about 2 weeks don't see any real new growth and the pistils have turned dark brown and most have turned into the cola.... I have not removed the pots from the tent since I went 12/12

Of the 3 plants I have here one of them stayed real short it never stretched like the other 2 did when I switched and the buds never really grew on the runt so I experimented with it (growing in coco) and stopped feeding it nutes 2 weeks ago just plain water and it still does not show any signs of deficiency even the bottom leaves on it still look healthy.. I was looking at the colas last night with my loupe real close and found a couple of small spots where the tricks are a very light yellow color so maybe it is getting ready to happen???

Comment

Originally posted by roccus View Post
            It has actually been 10 weeks I switched to 12/12, I took some of the pop corn buds that are low on the branches and it is kick ass very nice buzz the creeps up and stays with you for several hours I can only imagine the real buds will be even better. I had asked the question of the trics because another person I met on another forum started his grow about a week before mine (a different strain then me) but he has done several grows before. Well he harvested his about 2 weeks ago saying even though he did not have any amber he felt it was time to harvest.... he has real nice cob lights with a couple of those quantum board lights to go with his cobs and got huge colas I just have 2 300W amazon lights so I figure the lower power lights I have will mean a longer time to go amber but the trichs have been 98% milky white now for about 2 weeks don't see any real new growth and the pistils have turned dark brown and most have turned into the cola.... I have not removed the pots from the tent since I went 12/12

Of the 3 plants I have here one of them stayed real short it never stretched like the other 2 did when I switched and the buds never really grew on the runt so I experimented with it (growing in coco) and stopped feeding it nutes 2 weeks ago just plain water and it still does not show any signs of deficiency even the bottom leaves on it still look healthy.. I was looking at the colas last night with my loupe real close and found a couple of small spots where the tricks are a very light yellow color so maybe it is getting ready to happen???

Comment

Originally posted by PuravidaC View Post
              Breeder guidelines are under ideal conditions. I've had some that flowered for 90 days and breeder said 48! Patience is key at this stage of grow. Go by trichome color. I know it's tough, but patience... my friend!
              Do you know what seed banks use for their guideline for trich color? Cloudy, 20%, 50% or more amber? Also once you see first sign of amber how fast does it go, to get to say 50% amber, days or weeks??

Comment

• PuravidaC
                PuravidaC commented
                Editing a comment
                I know you are looking for a hard and fast answer, but unfortunatly there isn't one. There are too many variables. This is the hardest time of a grow. I was going on vacation when my last grow was coming to an end and I was asking the same questions. I wound up harvesting before vacation but in hind sight I should have waited until I returned. Trichome colors depends on what effect you prefer.

Grow them till they turn cloudy then 5-10% amber, might take 14 weeks, nature isn’t perfect
              x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X