Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best LED for a 4x4 scrog set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spectrum King what you lay out in initial expense you will save on electric costs and Bulb Longevity, 3 year warranty on Bulb luminescence and parts. Real Quality Not Affiliated FYI ONLY https://www.spectrumkingled.com/buy-led-grow-lights/
    My Growing and going full tilt NoTill NTG thread https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...l-tilt-no-till
    The universities do not teach all things

Comment

• Dutchman1
      Dutchman1 commented
      Editing a comment
      $1500 bucks..... ouch.

• Paracelsus
      Paracelsus commented
      Editing a comment
      start at 199/299/699/1295/1495 pay for themselves in electric costs, yield and light build quality 3 year guaranty on lamp 90% still strong
      made in USA with USA parts and employees.
      I was sold on 630W DE CMH, if I could afford these on first grow I would buy the $699 Spectrum King 402 https://www.spectrumkingled.com/prod...ed-grow-light/

Spectrum king and Nextlight are about the best performing and efficient grow lights on the market at the moment. The reason for their high cost, is because unlike other cheap LED manufacturers (looking at you china). They actually design lights that can compete with traditional gas discharge technology. Its a sad fact that most LED light fixtures on the market, are infact inferrior to gas discharge lights.

When designing and manufacturing LED light fixtures, the efficiency of the light is mostly dictated by the toplogy, not the model or type of LED chips used. Typically to build a fixture with higher efficiency, requires more diodes and circuit complexity to acheive this. This adds more cost and makes it harder to convince consumers to invest. This is why there are many cheap fixtures on the market. But yet underperform in comparison.

When looking at the long term investment, i must point out to people that choosing the higher quality but yet more expensive product is going to be more economical over the years. The savings from efficiency and higher performance ends up paying itself back much more than the cheaper fixtures. You typically also get longer life and better warranty as well.

Just some further information on competing light technologies.

With LED's like i have explained, the topology and design has a much more significant impact on fixture efficiency than the choice of the diode chips themselves. Saying that, there is a misconception that COB is more efficient than typical SMD chips. This is not the case however. Although efficiency is improved from its substrate dicharge of heat. It is heavily counteracted by the concentration of heat created from the higher proximity between the diodes. This effects the total efficiency as temperature is directly related to a diodes radiant efficiency.

As has always been the case, manufacturers are always trying to find ways to sell more products. Just recently there has been a surge in popularity of Ceramic Metal Halide. But again more misconceptions cloud the technology.
    CMH is not a new technology, its been around for oh, nearly 30 years. Philips introduced a new design back in 2011 called CDM Elite Agro for the growing industry after seing more interest from indoor horticulture (same bulb used today). This new product was an improved design from previous ceramic metal halides. Attributed with higher efficiency and better spectrum uniformity (I would recommended current CMH users stick with the philips bulbs only).
    However, there is no current evidence that shows CMH as being superior in efficiency or efficacy (read up the differences because its most important). Current papers that have looked at technologies and put them through rigorous testing systems such as integrating spheres. Have come to all but similar conclusions. Showing that the efficiency lags just behind traditional single ended HPS but is left behind by double ended HPS.
    Although one can argue about the spectrum quality, as far as plant biology science is concerned. Light quality is far less important than light qauntity. Saying that, if we were to go by the old aged mccree curve. CMH would loose that arguement based on the principle that quantum yield (photosynthetic efficiency) is higher in the red part of the spectrum, where HPS has more affinity with.

If i had a chance to redo my light system, i would stick with gas discharge lights or invest in the expensive but long term economical LED fixtures such as spectrum king or nextlight.
    Last edited by DrPhoton; 12-24-2017, 12:05 AM.
    Written Articles:
    Light Metric Systems
    Using Light Efficiently
    The Light Cycle Debate
    Environment Conditions
    Grow Light Technologies
    How To Compare Grow Lights
    To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
    Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Comment

I'd get some of those cobs like Mcubed476 has got, they do a great job, an are not too expensive.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Originally posted by Paracelsus View Post
        Spectrum King what you lay out in initial expense you will save on electric costs and Bulb Longevity, 3 year warranty on Bulb luminescence and parts. Real Quality Not Affiliated FYI ONLY https://www.spectrumkingled.com/buy-led-grow-lights/
        Is this a good one? https://www.spectrumkingled.com/prod...ed-grow-light/ Will it work well for a 4x4 scrog?

While I have a decent amount of floor space, I don't have a ton of height since we have them 2 high currently. I was looking at this one https://www.spectrumkingled.com/prod...ed-grow-light/ but it says it needs 30+ inches above the plant, and I'll be hard pressed to give it 24.

Comment

• Paracelsus
          Paracelsus commented
          Editing a comment
          At 24 you would be getting a reduced footprint to I've seen them at 18 in pictures with cooling
          I'd love to try one I think you need to consider the space, strain and the medium besides
          light hight that will tell you haw many watts you need . I like the DIY LED kits from Rapid LED too .
          Different COB type for different size footprints , this is the deluxe
          I'd love any of the spectrum king lights and then I'd Taylor the grow to the most efficent set up for the light I had
          Affordable LED Lighting for Growers and Makers. Build your own high quality LED lights using name brand parts at an affordable price. Minimal knowledge required.
          Last edited by Paracelsus; 01-11-2018, 03:49 PM.

This is a true 1000 watt hps replacement, putting out slightly more light with around 600 watts. It's pretty much just parts put together but it's backed by hlg and it's ridiculously cheap for what it is. Only thing that comes close to getting this good price per amount of light output is the plc 6, except you can keep the hlg 20-26 inches from your plants instead of 40-48. you can even get it cheaper and put it together yourself if you want, but even preassembled it's still cheaper than the plc 6 at 750.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X