First Time Grow, friendly advice welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Time Grow, friendly advice welcome

Hello fellow growers, It became legal in my state last year and I have decided to start a grow tent in my spare room. I am totally new to this, and have a small amount of knowledge I acquired from some books i perused. I am going to be attempting to grow 6 Autoflower plants using super soil thats locally made, and will be using the following equipment

- Vivosun 4x4x6.5' tent
    - HTGsupply 424cfm 6" inline fan
    - EZ Cool 6" reflector(hood)
    - Digital Greenhouse 600watt ballast
    i have the other stuff like rope ratchets, hygro-thermometer, pH control/test kit.

All i need now is a carbon filter(and seeds). I originally purchased a Phresh filter on amazon, but when it arrived there was carbon dust everywhere and the filter was filthy on the outside. I spoke to Phresh customer service and they told me i could just clean it off and use it, and if it didnt work they would replace it, but i decided against taking that risk and just sent it back to amazon. Turns out i have local retailers that sell it for way less. So now is my conundrum, because i called the local retailer and the only size they have in stock is the 8" x 24" and i already bought 6" ducting..
    Is there a flange adapter one can buy? like an 8" - 6" flange adapter so that i can attach 6" ducting to the 8" flange.

Welcome to the Group JB and welcome to growing, sounds like are on the right track..

For your question, YES they make a reducer. Big Box hardware store..
    Shop IMPERIAL 8-in x 6-in Galvanized Steel Round Duct Reducer in the Duct Transitions & Connectors department at Lowe's.com. This Imperial Increaser/Reducer is used to effectively reduce or increase the diameter of galvanized round pipe when making connections. The no-crimp connector

Good Luck and happy growing, FYI, dont really need a carbon filter until 2-3 week of flower (for eradicating smells that is)..
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”
    ~ Upton Sinclair

Comment

I think I have one or two hanging around easy,pizzie!

Comment

Welcome, I’m in the middle of my first grow myself. It’s been very enjoyable so far, and there’s a great reward at the end. I noticed you said you were using super soil and have a ph control kit. I think with super soil you don’t have to worry about your Ph. Take some time and check out the website I think there’s a full tutorial on growing in super soil and quite a bit on autos
      48”x48”x80” flower/main tent
      600w mh/hps
      32”x32”x63” veg tent
      viparspectra PAR 450 led
      FFOF soil, Fox farms nutes, raw silica
      5 gallon Smart Pots
      Current grow Aurora Indica, Girl Scout Cookies, Wonder Woman (all Nirvana)
      Current grow progress: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/growing-community/159795-locrian99s-2nd-grow

Comment

• Aloner
        Aloner commented
        Editing a comment
        She's talking about the pH level in the soil -- you still have to make sure your water's pH is in range before you water your plants. But it is nice not to have to water to runoff and then measure the runoff's pH. (Mainly because with super soil you don't water to runoff!)

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Your right Aloner, my first grow in KindSoil, at the end right before harvest, I wanted to find out what my ph run-off was, and it was 6.3 after 90 days , that's some awesome stuff that KindSoil, if you keep your water ph right, from the beginning.

• Locrian99
        Locrian99 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah thanks for clarifying

Hello JB, welcome to GWE, I also use supersoil most of the time, and love it, an so do my plants, main thing is never water to run-off, always make sure your PH in is 6.2-6.5.And that's all there is to it.
      Except don't over-under water. them. Your gonna love the supersoil an so will your plants. Again welcome JB.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Welcome to the site. Now for the friendly advise.

Nobody ever explained to me about how important the 'environment' is to the health of your plants. I highly recommend that you study the information available on the GWE tutorials and understand that part of the game.

Generally you want temperature in the 70's
        Humidity 50-70 veg and 30-50 flower
        Stuff like that.

Good luck, and remember patience, patience, patience.
        completed 7 grows
        what I have learned so far:
        environment maters more than nutrients
        at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
        effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

I bought pH control kit for testing the water. Is that not something I have to worry about with soil? I might have seen that when researching hydroponics, after 2 weeks of which my head was spinning haha.

Comment

• Aloner
            Aloner commented
            Editing a comment
            No matter the growing medium, you have to worry about pH.

GWE on pH

• JamesBondage
            JamesBondage commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome, that's what I figured

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X