Spent Boveda packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent Boveda packs

so i was high..... and I thought maybe (since Boveda packs are two way humidity control) if I put the spent packs in a high humidity location they would recover the lost moisture. My house is around 40%rh so everything is dry and I keep these in the bag I’m currently consuming from to hold a bit of moisture. Anyway l put them in my dome with my clones. You guys think this will work? I have suspended them from touching any water.
    Setup
    4’x4’x6.6’
    600W MH
    2x innova 19w full spec led
    175cfm fan, can 33 filter
    8gal DIY reservoir/ hydro system

Seems like it might work, but check this out, too. Here's something I found on a cigar forum:

I had several threads going on with respect to Boveda packs and how to recharge them.

If you all recall, many chimed in and confirmed they too had been doing this.

Essentially, Boveda packs are a two way humidity device. When new they are fully charged and do have a bit of difficulty absorbing excess moisture if you get a wet shipment of cigars in. They work excellent at maintaining rH within humidors, tupperdores, coolidors and winedors.

After the Boveda packs have been inside your storage system of choice they typically need to be recharged at some point. There are many factors that determine how often you'll need to recharge. A leaky wooden humidor may need recharged as often as weekly. A better sealed wooden humidor may only need charged once every four weeks. A sealed system such as a tuppordor may hold as long as 6 months, depending on how often you open it. In my case I have some Lock N Lock boxes with latches that I haven't had to charge the Boveda packs in over a year since I only open them once a month to allow air exchange.

The time of year can also impact how often you need to charge the Boveda packs and the region you live in. If it's cool and dry in the winter you may need to change more often than someone living in a cool wet region.

Anyway, on to recharging the Boveda packs. When the pack gets flat and feels less flexible it's usually time to start the recharge process.

There are many ways to do this but it all boils down to raising the humidity in a sealed container to allow the Boveda pack to absorb humidity back to it's original charge. This can take up to a few days or a few weeks depending on how much humidity the Boveda pack needs to absorb.

The way I used to setup, and sometimes still do if the packs are really low, is as follows:
    I have a sealed Tupperware container about 12x8x6. I have an elevated platform in the center of the Tupperware that I place the Boveda packs on and then pour distilled water into the bottom of the main container. This keeps the Boveda packs out of the water and keeps the paper outer wrapper intact. Close and seal the Tupperware lid and let the Boveda packs absorb moisture to their hearts content. I usually check them every couple of days to see how they are doing. When they are puffy again and flexible they are good to rotate back into the cigar storage units.

You can also recharge them using a large mason jar, plastic jar and even zip lock bags by using water pillows in the charging container. I've noticed it takes a bit longer with using water pillows but the great thing about them is when you have excess Boveda packs like I do you can just keep them in there until needed. This is how I've got mine set up currently although for a pack or two that need a lot of TLC I use the water in the bottom of the container from the preceding paragraph..

I've got a couple different setups like the ones mentioned above and always have spares on hand. Once you get a good rotation going it's fairly effortless.

Some might question why don't I just buy new Boveda packs. Valid question and here's my answer. I've got about 20 'dors in various forms and would be spending a small fortune if I was buying new all the time. With the system I'm using now I only have to replace a few packs a year because eventually they do start to have some issues with absorbing and releasing humidity.

Some of my packs have been in rotation for over three years and are still going strong.

Hope this helps the community.

link to the original: http://www.cigarbum.com/forum/cigar-...harge-214.html

Comment

• starramus
      starramus commented
      Editing a comment
      Good stuff! I have heard of the recharging, but didn't bother since the Bovedas are so cheap. I am gonna try your method since distilled water is even cheaper than the packs. I guess I have just been another wasteful American. How can you argue with Jack Johnson? https://youtu.be/USo_vH1Jz7E

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, Bovedas aren't cheap! I looked up re-charge on YouTube because as we know, this ain't no cheap hobby!! Any $15 or $20 I can save is good, cuz it adds up.

Great info gdog. I read some stuff when I had the thought. Do you think the way I have it will work? I don’t see why not. They are only about $.89 each but why go buy more if you don’t have too right?
    Setup
    4’x4’x6.6’
    600W MH
    2x innova 19w full spec led
    175cfm fan, can 33 filter
    8gal DIY reservoir/ hydro system

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X