First ScrOG attempt, Bubba Kush 7 weeks old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ScrOG attempt, Bubba Kush 7 weeks old

I've been growing going on two years now and from my first plant that was dropped off at my house(sadly to die) to now I've only just did small plants with LST. Since my first learning experience I've been doing pretty good.. new grow area in the house with a sweet little set up I obsessed with like probably most of us. But I've always wanted to try this ScrOG because besides getting top yields from my little 3 by 3 by 6 an half tent I think it looks AWESOME!! So.. guess I'll start with when I started these plants... i got there seed from a fellow grower in the area and I've got seed off him twice now and both where Great and exactly what he said they where... So I really hope this is like some pre 98 strain bubba ... Anyways.. I​​​​​​I wanted to try Coco for the first time so I started just doing a side by side with Coco coir an the fox farm oceans forests mix I've been growing with.. well at very first the Coco did great, twice the size of the soil.. But after the 2end week of veg the Coco stopped growing an the soil took off.... Was mad thought I messed up an almost pulled it... But I stuck it out and kept it going now the Coco is still a lot smaller but it's starting to fill a little part of its screen so we'll see what happens here. I topped it an did a little late LST to spread out the branches and some deflation of the bigger fan leaves taking up all the lights. But that's about it.. so maybe by the time they were 5 weeks old and I was about to switching to flower I decided to make a screen and try the ScrOG method..I did some research and made my screen only 8 inches above my soil. I know that I am to grow plant straight up into the screen and on another site it says to make the screen around 20in above.. but I already had the thing growing side ways.. So I believe I should have waited and did a ScrOG next run... But I'm impatient an believe it may still work. To make it worse I made the screen it of chicken wire.. only 1.6in. holes, not 2in. So my leaves have been getting beat up going threw it. So that is probably going to be a problem.. but we'll see, already got the string to try an make a net screen for the next one. I also used scrap wood from an old cabinet for the framing which worked out alright.
    I am feeding with General Hydroponics Trio every other watering and I have a compost tea that I mix up for in between feedings so my plant don't just get plain water. So I do a little flush once a month if needed. My soil feedings consist of..
    GH Trio, micro grow bloom
    botanicare rhizo blast
    GH armor si- ( great pH up also)
    GH pH down if needed
    For my tea that I give every other watering consist of...
    ​​​​​​ Concentrated worm compost tea
    Buried treasure
    Advanced Nutrients vitamin B-52
    GH floralicious plus
    Seems like allot, but really not just a ml of this an half tsp of that.. little bottles last awhile.. I also have some Advanced Nutrients additives I use threw out different parts of the grow, I have voodoo juice I use first two weeks of veg, and first two weeks of flower, I have a few more bloom boosters and additives we'll see later from Advanced Nutrients.
    Now, for the coco it's pretty much the same base nutes just I haven't used the tea in it for awhile. I didn't see it helping at all and I was treating my Coco like soil and wasn't getting results at all... But after I changed to feeding every watering and flush with GH flush every other week.. I used
    GH trio, micro, grow, bloom
    botanicare rhizo blast
    GH Cal magic
    And every other gallon I add
    gh Floralicious plus
    GH armor si
    Advanced Nutrients vitamin B-52
    And I add the voodoo juice first two weeks of veg and will first two weeks of flower..
    Last edited by Trichomefarmer88; 12-06-2017, 01:00 AM.

If I were you, I would remove the chicken wire and just drill holes in your wood frame to run some string through to create a grid of 2.5" squares. The chicken wire will cut your plants from what I've read. I'm about to build my scrog screen and plan to do it this way. It looks like you still have time, if you act fast!

Comment

TF88, no experience with ScrOG here, however I will concur with GDF, Thin wire will cut right into them.. When I think of ScrOG I tend to paint a picture of a plant that has been topped many times and vegged for a lot longer to get some massive bush going on, with all the cola tops, plant cant hold the weight and starts falling. Reason why ScrOG is important, for supporting the fruits of your labor. If only topping 1-2 and vegging for 4-5 weeks, LST'ing should be ok, although I bet there are some HEAVY genetics that might need support. In that event, just use some twine to support from above. Be creative..

As far as your coco feeding goes, I do believe you are on the right track. I am in little containers, like 2 gallons, 70/30 coco/perlite with no issues, however I do feed EVERYDAY due to container size. Coming from Flood and Drain, recirculating, 50 gal rez, hydroton to coco, I dont see much difference as far as feedings go. Flood and drain was setup for 30mins every 4hrs as no moisture retention in the hydroton. No flushing until 1.5 weeks from harvest. Coco is really no different, it does hold moisture so I dont have to feed every 4hrs, but since the coco holds onto NO nutrients, it has to get them every feeding just like a plant in hydroton flood/drain.

I am sure there are varying views on this, however this is just mine and hopefully there is something useful in it for ya..

Nice Grow and Good Luck with the ScrOG test..
      “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”
      ~ Upton Sinclair

Comment

• Sockfilter
        Sockfilter commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I use GH Flora trio series of nutes, All though not a totally extensive list of things to consider with your slow growth within the coco, Here is what I would look at as it should be kicking soils butt in growth. Again this is only the things I would check from my limited coco experience.

Did you flush the coco prior to using? I flush the honky out of mine to get all the salt out of it. after about 3 flushes, use meter to check TDS and make sure it matches the TDS of the H2O you are flushing with, or really close.

Then let the coco sit for a few in some pH'd H2O.

I do not run full strength nutes, I cut in half just like Neubla posts on here. Watch the girls, they will tell you

Keep in mind that 100% coco still holds 30% air, so although not a good idea to keep the ladies feet standing water, you wont do any crazy damage if you need to flush out any issues with pH'd H2O, I have done it a couple times, however once I get the run off to my liking (pH and PPM) I feed her a bit as well.

Less is more with the nutes, before you think there is a nute deficiency, make darn sure that the pH going in is within range, 5.5-6.5 and that the initial run off is within range. FYI make sure you catch the first little dribbles out of the pot, dont wait until the run off has just about stopped to sample, I did that a few times and NO BUENO..lol

I feed every time, every 24hrs, based on my container size, if I had 5gal smart pots I would probably only need to feed every 2-3 days as there is more coco for H2O to be stored in. I look at it like this, my container is a drag car with a gas tank that holds just enough fuel for 1/4 mile, then I have to refuel, some run stock cars with bigger gas tanks and only need to refuel every 40 laps.

For me, I want to know the pH and TDS of everything the ladies feet will come into contact with, that away if there is an issue, I am not having to guess. Remain consistent and it will all work out..

• Sockfilter
        Sockfilter commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh Yeah and make sure to feed enough to have about 20% run off (20% of the volumn that you feed) and make sure to discard it, DO NOT let the container sit in that crap, Full of SALTS. That is why I dont flush every week etc, as I am constantly flushing with the run off, yeah a waste of nutes, but heck the quart bottles last me almost a year..

• Trichomefarmer88
        Trichomefarmer88 commented
        Editing a comment
        SF, just wanted to thank you again for this info.. tho I did over half of what's here, I did learn a few thing an for that I thank you!! My only thought in that are with the 5 gal smart pot... I've been watering about every 24 hours now an how I've been doing it is waiting until I can grab the bottom of the smart pot an when it's almost completely dry, I water... With the pot being fabric an my intake is right there on the floor of tent, 5 gal of Coco would be bone dry in two three days... An also my plants are in blocks so they never sit in old water... Thanks for the help!!
        Last edited by Trichomefarmer88; 12-08-2017, 08:32 AM.

I do agree with you two with the screen, but it was all I had and the site said you could use it just had to cut the buds out of it.... But damn I didn't think about it cutting my stems... May just try and tie her all back down an take off the ScrOG for now. Lol sucks I was ready to flower soon I have like 10 are more stems already tied to the screen.. but I don't want to mess up the plant she's beautiful.. Thanks for the help an tips gdog an SF

Comment

• Sockfilter
        Sockfilter commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are in the States, run up to a Big box hardware store and get ya a 10' length (or 2) of schedule 40 1/2 PVC, should be less than $2.50. (4) 1/2 pvc elbows and measure the inside of tent (if using one) and make a [ ] square or rectangle, then depending on your budget could use some stainless steel screws. Measure out about ever 3 or 4 inches, drill 1/8th hole, run screw in part way, then you can lace/weave it all up with some cheap twine, 550 paracord etc. then you have the start of ScrOG that you can modify, raise and lower. I hang my frame from the top of the tent. Although I dont use it for ScrOG yet, it keeps my tent from sucking inward due to my high CFM carbon filter exhaust, lots of negative pressure in the tent and walls suck in big time, the frame keeps it all good..

Just throwing out a thought for ya.

• Trichomefarmer88
        Editing a comment
        Thanks that sounds allot better than wood and is something I've already thought about for my next run.. I really just three this together with what I had here.. I may just let it go I was looking at 420 mag blog and this guy did the same exact thing but with PVC pipe and this chicken wire and looked awesome.. Since it's up I believe in just going to let it go an learn..I got for beauties vegging now for my new ScrOG and I definitely am up grading to a better, more permeant screen for my tent just like the one you have.. thanks so much for the info SF

Did some tucking tonight... Lately I've been having to every night.. but it's doing great! I tied back down just the main stem so it's not pushing into the screen any more.. Even tho nothing got cut the top of the main stem that was pushing into the screen was getting a little rug burn so, I tied it and moved stems around.. It is looking great... Really hope keeping this screen don't come back to bite me in the butt!
      I also took a pic of my under to show people you don't have to top to get a decent split.. no cuts here an my side stems look like my main!

Comment

Looking good TF88, The only way I learn anything is by doing it, I can read something 1000x times and it means NADA until I have walked that walk. By all means give the chicken wire a go, heck you might find that it works spot on for your style.. Keep us updated.
        “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”
        ~ Upton Sinclair

Comment

Up date on my girls under ScrOG... I definitely do need to get a new screen for next time.. Been doing some research an will probably still land on SF's idea up there's! Seems the best an I can take it up if needed.. anyways getting ready to switch to flower.. my Coco plant has been doing wonderful an is catching up to the soil plant so thinking about switch soon as the rest my veg nutes are used up that I already have mixed.. about gallon an half for each so.. two days maybe? Anyways I'll switch 12/12 after a 24 hour black out an out in the few Advanced Nutrients for bloom an different parts of it. So going to try them out on one plant an keep to my Kool bloom and molasses.. we'll see what happens.. I did some major pruning tonight!! I always take a little hands full of fan leaves every few days, but I really wacked then down tonight.. going to lollipop all the stragglers and everything here in a few days after they recover a bit.. don't wanna sock them before they start flowering.. but here's some before and after pictures of the pruning job.. lmk if you think it's too much!?

Comment

Looking good TF88..

Just a thought I had while taking in your pics and by no means something you HAVE to do, however you could take down the chicken wire, leave the wooden frame, take some screws (whatever kind you have laying around) and screw 1 in every 3 or 4 inches and then use that yellow string I see in the pics to weave up your own.

The more I push myself to learn, the more I think that for my small setup running LED's, using the manifold tech with good LST'ing and proper manicuring does away with the need for a screen. However the frame I made serves its purpose and if needed I can turn it into a woven screen.

Just thinking outside the box..lol..

Keep up the great growing..
            ~ Upton Sinclair

Comment

That's what I was suggesting earlier. I made my scrog screen yesterday using only holes in the wood. I happened to have a few mini eyelets handy and used them to secure the string at each end. I have hooks on order so I can hang at the correct height when I'm ready.

Comment

• Sockfilter
                Sockfilter commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome GDF..

I have two more in the veg closetthat I have training for my next run already.. the screen is merely a experiment.. ours ask I had at the time the string you see there was all I had. I was going to take it down until seen beautiful ones done already with it.. they're already tucked, tied an weaved threw three screen.. It's coming out of its 36 hour black out period at 6oclock today... I am how ever making a new screen for this tent the next run.. I'm hooked on ScrOG an I'm going to pack this 3 by 3 Tent with nice big buds all threw it!! Happy growing

Comment

• Sockfilter
                Sockfilter commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice I will be following along to see how it works out for you..

Nice looking plants you have there
              Good look

Comment

• Trichomefarmer88
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! Goal fire next run is to make them look like yours! Lol but I am learning happy growing

Hey 88 I noticed in your pics you have her tied down with what looks like piano wire. They use that to make garrotes for a reason. Its too sharp to tie down a plant.

Comment

• Trichomefarmer88
                Editing a comment
                Not sure wear you mean? I have plant ties I use but after cutting them and moving them once are twice the green coating starts to come off.. but as long as the coating is still on the wire that's touching the plant I still use it... other wise I toss out and cut a new one... but the rest is chicken wire and some green string I had laying around.. **butt I believe what you see is the plant tie.. i take the coating off on the end i stick threw the fabric of my smart pot
                Last edited by Trichomefarmer88; 12-11-2017, 04:30 PM.

Hello TF88, I love it, healthy looking stem, your doing a great job, keep it up, big rewards coming your way at harvest time.
              Cfls for a week or two
              315lec for everything else
              Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
              36x36x63 inch tent.
              6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
              Smart pots
              Molasses
              Autoflowers

Comment

• Trichomefarmer88
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! Really needed that, only a few runs under my belt so I want this to work.. I pulled all my main stems back down an tied them a bit to spread it back out.. going to finish lollipopping them tonight... But I do think I'll get some nice smoke out of it.. just got to figure out how to make it work for my set up.. but thanks again an happy growing

OK EVERYONE I FINALLY MADE A NEW SCREEN OUT OF WOOD AND STRING!!😀Tied it up this time also so I can it up an down if needed... Turned out pretty sweet if you ask me lol.. Happy growing y'all an Merry Christmas

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                D.A.A.S.69 commented
                Editing a comment
                Good Morning TF88, looks great, from my house, gonna look lots better when it's filled up with huge buds, good job an good luck 88
                Merry Christmas to you and your family.

• gdogfunkly
                gdogfunkly commented
                Editing a comment
                Fantastic! I'm really glad to see you decided to make the switch. I was reading through the scrog tutorial again and it mentioned how bad chicken wire was and I kept thinking about your plants lol. They will be very happy you changed to string!

• Sockfilter
                Sockfilter commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome TF88, looking great and much better for the girls IMO..

Nice job you have done there 😊

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X