Run off concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run off concern

As you already know, I have 2 plants that I havn't watered in a week. I started thinking maybe I have a runoff problem. Although My plants don't seem to be stressed. My question is: What can I do to increase my runoff with the plants in the pot" ?

gotta ask the stupid question, drain holes at the bottom of the pot?
    is it nute lock up? too much residual salt left around the roots keeping them from absorbing water and nutrients? if it's the case flush them asap with straight water and let them dry out real good before feeding them nutes again.
    x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, holes in bottom of pot. I don't think is a Nute lockout, 'cause the plant don't show it. I'm trying like hell to dry them out and the pots are feeling lighter. I just have to wait and see.

here is what my plants look like

Comment

yeah they seem totally fine looking. Id increase airflow around the pots maybe and especially under to help them dry out (no roots rotting!!!) but wait and see is our game ain't it?!?!?!?
      x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

• kingfish
        kingfish commented
        Editing a comment
        What should I do to increase flow ? I have a ocsilating fan blowing 24/7

• LuckyAcres
        LuckyAcres commented
        Editing a comment
        Well , the more the better without creating hurricane conditions in my opinion. Saw a Jamaican grow once up in the hills and there's a constant breeze there, plants love it and it makes for sturdier stalks. My grow is 10x8 about, 6 plants heading for scrog next month. 1 ceiling oscillating fan covering the whole ceiling and the rest, 1 fan chest height standing opposite to the 2 ground fans 48" diam each. Also 2 sets of 6" vents intakes and outakes (4vents total). Like I said the more the better. The plants are in constant movement without being trashed by a wind storm, I treat my ladies nice and gentle. Air flow also makes it uncomfortable for bugs and diseases to set up camp.

• kingfish
        kingfish commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point Lucky. Thanks.

personally, i wait until my roots are well formed and filling the pot to water with run off. i've had the best results that way.
      i'm having a similar problem right now though, despite the fully formed roots, and realized it's because the dark time humidity (in flower) is at a staggering 90%. so many problems because of this...

Comment

Thank you all for your advise. I have decided to do nothing at this point. I was mainly looking for a magic bullet for improving my runoff without upsetting the girls. Good thing is, they don't seem to be sick.

Comment

Hey Kingfish 👑🐟
          Cut out the bottom of the pots leaving only a lip and insert screen mesh into the bottom. Increased drainage and aeration instantly. I promise you. I've even done this while I had one growing. I just cut from the bottom and stuffed it in with a metal utensil. It took a friend to help me do this while I had one growing but we managed to get it done while it was still short. the difference was night and day for the soil and roots. Aside from that you could prop up your planter using rubber chocks to ensure better airflow and most importantly drainage there after. I hope it helps 👑🐟

Comment

Take a pencil or another sharp object...insert it into pot at bottom...make a hole....push it all the way in...do this a few times and plenty of drain off Will happen plus more air intake through holes...I've done this works great

Comment

All great ideas. Awesome bunch of brains working here.

Comment

I've done what Green has done, but my soil was just absolutely horrible so I decided to transplant them into some better soil, and hope that my runoff would get better after the roots grew into the new soil.. it actually worked out okay, but didn't need them in that big of pots.. I was willing to do anything to hang on to them though lol I do like the idea of cutting out the bottom, what kind of soil/mix are you using?

Comment

Instead of putting the drainage holes in the bottom of our buckets, we put then along the side, but at the very bottom, about 1/2 above floor of bucket. We didn't worry to much about how much runoff we got, but it did help to provide air to the bottom roots, and helped the soil dry out from the bottom and the top.
                  Last edited by insomniaczzz; 11-14-2016, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Its too late for this grow,, but in the future change to cloth pots and you wont have any probs.
                    A man believes what a man desires to be true.

Comment

• Tika
                      Tika commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Now there ya go. I love smart pots

they look great- im worried about large pot watering also - but what I have noticed is that they rarely need water, im just doing something to do something. Looking at health of plant, those look mighty good and in no need of water for awhile.. but again, if it was light and a week - id water just to water

Comment

• Chemichael
                      Chemichael commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I switched to fabric pots this new set- amnesia haze autos. 1 is growing great. 1 is having issues- the other I had to pull out of soil and re-seat her- shes popped out now and thriving. Huge pot, small plant- worrying about watering- so less is best- and thats how I will roll. The fabric is a challenge- the coco looks like the top is drying out- so I upgraded my watering can- and will be able to spread the water love more evenly.

• Gordo41
                      Gordo41 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have never felt that coco+perlite+ cloth pots were a challenge.in any way.
                      What is the issue with that?

• Chemichael
                      Chemichael commented
                      Editing a comment
                      well coco is not soil- it doesnt stay wet like soil- and very airy. Letting the top dry in soil- looks different in a coco mix- i dont want the coco to get too dry where its not re-chargeable - and I dont want to water to runoff either- these are auto - and are in final pot

I have a good inch and a half of rocks on the bottom to start with, too late for that now for you. But in future.........just gotta clean em first.
                    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
                    Mars Hydro
                    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Just curious, what's the humidity in there? I only ask because plants tend to drink really slowly if the humidity is high

Comment

• NebulaHaze
                        NebulaHaze commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hmmm, that's really odd! How much water are you giving them at a time? Are you removing all runoff water immediately so it doesn't get sucked back up? Maybe something to try is to give them a little less water at a time, in a circle around the plant. That way the whole medium isn't getting soaked. Another idea is to blow a fan over the medium itself, so it's drying out the top soil after you water. Once the plant starts growing fast again, you could go back to normal watering because it'll be drinking a lot more so the medium won't stay wet for long. The only reason I say anything is because cannabis tends to grow faster when it gets wet/dry cycles every few days. Honestly though they look really great!

• kingfish
                        kingfish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have moved them in the tend during lights on in hope that they dry up some. Is really odd Nebula. The pots still way a ton. I don't do anything different then what I do with the others. They all have Roots organics soil with nothing else. The other 3 pot weigh what I call normal, but these 2 are strange. I'm just not going to worry about it and water when I feel they need it. I watered these 2 about 3 days ago 1/4 gal each

• NebulaHaze
                        NebulaHaze commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Maybe they are just light drinkers? Or maybe they got "wet feet" a little in the beginning, which can sort of slow them down a little. I hate that feeling when you can't figure out why just one or two plants are doing something! But at least in your case the plants still look good

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X