1st time, now what? germination problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st time, now what? germination problems

I got me seeds Monday, soaked the germination pods and popped a seed in each one. I had them in a covered glass pan on a heat pad. I think they were too wet.

today, 3rd day, coming up on 4th night I moved them into small pots and dug down a little to find the seeds. Very gently. I was able to see a few of them but didn't want to disturb them too much so I loosened the dirt and created a bit of air around the area in case they were being smothered by water. now its about 80 degrees in there and this is what I have. no sprouts.

do i just wait? did I screw it up? I tend too over think and over do, especially new things.

If this doens't work I'm just going to get Autos and start over with a paper towel and plate
    Last edited by Cronk; 11-16-2017, 04:35 PM.
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
    Automatic top feed into coco.
    Mega Crop nutes

I personally use a fairly damp paper towel in a half sealed zip lock baggie(roots need oxygen ) I don’t know if they are too wet from what you’re saying, but they need total darkness at about 80 degrees to germinate. If they’re in total dark(under your growing medium) and moist at about 80-90 degrees I’d say give it another day or two. I’ve had seeds germ in 14 hours and ones that didn’t pop for 5-6 days. If too wet they’ll just mold and get nasty. Best of luck.
    -Absol

Comment

• Jr83
      Jr83 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with ur method th9 works best just mist the towel and keep out of direct light but since u are already germinate I'd let them dry a bit to just damp then keep them damp with out direct light they can take from 3 to 10 days mine took 12 days to pop out

They might eventually come up, but seems to me it's lots faster when you put them in damp paper towels until you see about a half inch or so sticking out of seed then put them in the soil or either rapid rooters.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• Jr83
      Jr83 commented
      Editing a comment
      True statement

I had planned on the paper towel method then something I read convinced me to do it this way. the same thing also said to use a light. I have it in the dark now, heated. guess I'll wait and see. reorder new seeds just in case

complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing wrong with using a little light on them, the extra heat from the light helps the germination.

• Potted
      Potted commented
      Editing a comment
      I keep the light on for heat and a thermometer close to seeds.

Good call. I’d love to to try to order seeds but I’ve had wonderful luck in finding bagseed from medicle grade around here
    EDIT: if it makes you feel better I’m almost 100% positive these two two month old plants(some grape genetics I found in bagseed) turned out to be male lol

Comment

I've only started this year, I germinate them in their final containers and luckily had a 100% success rate so far. It sounds like you've done everything right, I also check by carefully removing the top soil to ensure everything is going well. When you did this, what did you see? Only thing I'd say is only water in the area where the seeds are, the picture you posted seems to show the whole medium wet which may be the cause of the slow germination. Also you say you've moved to smaller pots, are you sure you haven't disturbed/damaged them during this?

Comment

I use 4 inch jiffiy pot,sandwich baggie dome and t8 lighting with blue tubes and ph 6.3 after soak for 24 hours,light about 3 inches away, it’s always comes thru for me. Good luck. There’s more than one way to skin a cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ergot View Post
          I've only started this year, I germinate them in their final containers and luckily had a 100% success rate so far. It sounds like you've done everything right, I also check by carefully removing the top soil to ensure everything is going well. When you did this, what did you see? Only thing I'd say is only water in the area where the seeds are, the picture you posted seems to show the whole medium wet which may be the cause of the slow germination. Also you say you've moved to smaller pots, are you sure you haven't disturbed/damaged them during this?
          I started them in those expanding soil starters. you soak them and put the seed in the hole. I moved those to the pots shown in the picture and watered the sil around them. I also made sure the starters were damp.

When I dug up soil starter to loosen it up I did see a seed in a few but was unwilling to disturb further. I lightly covered everything back up and left it alone. it could be that they are started and the tap root is moving downward and soon a sprout will appear. my hope, anyway
          complete beginner
          39" x 39" x 78" tent
          315 Watt CMH
          Mega Crop nutes

Comment

I would let them be, and no water for a while. Good luck!

Comment

I may try and excavate the seeds from the starter pods and replant in the small coco pots alone. Not sure if this will cause more stress on them either that or leave them alone.
              complete beginner
              39" x 39" x 78" tent
              315 Watt CMH
              Mega Crop nutes

Comment

Whoa Cronk, take a breath dude you gotta givem time. Soak your seeds in a cup of water for a day or two, fold them in a moist paper towel put em in a zip loc place it somewhere warm, under a desk lamp,on top of a water heater, wifi router etc. Then wait.....when they pop and you see a little white tail sticking out then gently put it tail down in the moist rooter plug and place the rooter in your soil. Then wait some more.

Comment

More time. Dont be in a rush !
                  Organic only soil grower
                  Current: Medgom Auto (CBD Crew and (Grassomatic)
                  Set up: 300w Galaxy hydro LED, DIY insulated growbox, dual thermostatic exhaust fans, dual circulation fans, thermostatic 300w heat, remote temp/humidity monitor.

Comment

I see one Jack Herrer sprout just under the surface. you people are right. thanks for having my back

I have a patience problem. I am addressing it with leafy meds
                    complete beginner
                    39" x 39" x 78" tent
                    315 Watt CMH
                    Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• Canuck147
                      Canuck147 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Growing cannabis plants forces one to accept the word - patience - if you can understand and accept the word, you will grow big beautiful plants.

5 seedlings now. out of 6. Still hoping to the 6th.
                    complete beginner
                    39" x 39" x 78" tent
                    315 Watt CMH
                    Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                      D.A.A.S.69 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's great, maybe the other will follow

@ d.a.a.s.69
                    complete beginner
                    39" x 39" x 78" tent
                    315 Watt CMH
                    Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
                      D.A.A.S.69 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey Cronk, that's a nice one.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X