New seedling light amount question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New seedling light amount question

Thanks for this forum, webpage and great info.

new grower. a bit of info that eludes me is how much light to give new seedlings. I understand that they cannot take as much as strong vegetative stage plants so I plan to give them less. I can't find a definitive statement on how much light to give seedlings and for how long ( or at least I don't understand)

my lights are : 310 watt CMH for growth, + 85 Watt CFL photo flood that I plan to use for seedlings

Can I use the 85 Watt CFL 12 or so inches away from them for the 18 hours until the go into full vegetative stage with the CMH? I will be heating them with a germination pad until I replant them. They won't be in the grow tent unless that is recommended. They will be in a 65 degree space, on top of the heating pad. I am able to raise the temp within the tent to 75-80 degrees F but the photo flood won't fit inside so.....

-OR- can I use the 310 watt CMH for the seedlings in the tent just raising it well above the 12-14" from tops. maybe twice or more that distance so to not stress them?

What is best? It is freezing cold here so warm area options are limited.. outside of the grow tent is below 70 F, within can be raised ( I do have the heat pad)

thanks much
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
    Automatic top feed into coco.
    Mega Crop nutes

Personally - I use a 2 foot /4 bulb fluorescent light about 4" above my rooters. I germinate indoors. If you can locate my last completed journal ( or the second one) you can see pics 😊
    Happy growing
    Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
    Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
    GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
    photoperiod feminized seeds
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
    http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

Morning Cronk, I have 2-3 23watt cfls bulbs on my rapid rooters before they sprout and leave them 3-4 inches away until they are growing good, then I use my 315cmh at a height of 40 inches, lowering it an inch or two every couple of days till I reach around 22-24 inches.
      I don't know about how hot that 65watt flood light gets, but it ought to work fine if it's not to close to hurt your seedlings. Good Luck
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.A.S.69 View Post
        Morning Cronk, I have 2-3 23watt cfls bulbs on my rapid rooters before they sprout and leave them 3-4 inches away until they are growing good, then I use my 315cmh at a height of 40 inches, lowering it an inch or two every couple of days till I reach around 22-24 inches.
        I don't know about how hot that 65watt flood light gets, but it ought to work fine if it's not to close to hurt your seedlings. Good Luck
        22-24 inches from the tops?

seems like we have a similar setup. after 22-24 inches from tops, you do 12" from tops with the 315 Watt CMH? 2 weeks time, roughly?

thanks much
        complete beginner
        39" x 39" x 78" tent
        315 Watt CMH
        Mega Crop nutes

Comment

I don't ever get closer than about 22inches with my 315cmh, even on maturing buds.
          some folks might get closer ,than 22 inches, but I haven't yet.
          What I'm trying to tell you is when you start using your 315 ,start it way up high, then gradually lower it ,over a little time until you get it about 22-24 inches away and stop there, go no lower unless you want to hurt your plant. Just check on your plants regularly till you get it at the right height, if it looks like your hurting them,raise your light a little. Good Luck with it,
          Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 11-13-2017, 10:28 AM.
          Cfls for a week or two
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

• carblevel
            carblevel commented
            Editing a comment
            Right on DAAS!!!! I start at 30" and slowly work downward as the plant grows and can take it, I never go closer than 24". The LEC 315 is a powerful lite with UVB so you definitely have to watch it.

Now I'm confused.

I've been planning on the recommend distances from the lighting pages. This is your own experience or do I misunderstand the recommendations?
          complete beginner
          39" x 39" x 78" tent
          315 Watt CMH
          Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't know Nebula had light distances for 315s

• Cronk
            Cronk commented
            Editing a comment
            She has them for 250 watt, 12" and 400 watt.14" sodium.

Ok so I grow with a 315 cmh when my seedling shows me leaves i plant my seedling in my hydro system and blast them with everything I got. I leave my light at the top of my tent untill flower.
          It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

cool, thanks
            complete beginner
            39" x 39" x 78" tent
            315 Watt CMH
            Mega Crop nutes

Comment

Hey cronk, how can you be confused ,?
              all I trying to say is you will burn your plant if you get much closer than 18-22 inches with your 315.
              Have you plugged yours in yet ?
              I'm not trying to be smart, but I can't understand why you don't get that. They are a powerful light is what I'm trying to say.
              Cfls for a week or two
              36x36x63 inch tent.
              Smart pots
              Molasses
              Autoflowers

Comment

• Cronk
                Cronk commented
                Editing a comment
                thanks, DAAS.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X