Leaf tips curling up and spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaf tips curling up and spots

Hey guys looking for some help. I put a seed down sept20 didn’t see a sprout for two weeks. I topped at the 6th node. I’m in promix bx with added perlite in a 3gal smart pot. Had her under a 600whps with cooling hood around 36” from light. In 4x4x6.5 dark room, Small fan blowing at the bottom of pot not rustling leaves much. Feeding dnf gro a+b at half hydro strength. My first 2 node leaves already went yellow and I trimmed them but now more are starting and these ones have nasty brown spots! Help haven’t seen temp outside of 19°-26° and humidity at lowest seen was 48%
    Setup
    4’x4’x6.6’
    600W MH
    2x innova 19w full spec led
    175cfm fan, can 33 filter
    8gal DIY reservoir/ hydro system

As far as strain goes I do not have any info on that the seed was given to me through a couple people so info on it is not possible. Also I could have potentially over or under fed once because I wasn’t sure if I added nutes to the jug once about a week ago.(oops)
    Last edited by BlueBudz; 10-31-2017, 07:57 AM.
    Setup
    4’x4’x6.6’
    600W MH

Comment

I decided to top/ clone this plant, trimming all the affected leaves in the process and starting lst. I’m really just playing around and trying to learn some things. Would love some input and ideas.
      Setup
      4’x4’x6.6’
      600W MH

Comment

Overall your seedling actually looks pretty good. The newest growth is green and healthy. I would definitely leave the plant alone now and give it some time to grow. Generally, you want to avoid anything to stress the plant when it's already experiencing problems, but at this point, you've got a healthy looking growing plant so I think you should be fine.

The initial symptoms with the lower brown spots and curling looked like a Phosphorus deficiency to me. If you're already using nutrients, I would guess you were seeing those symptoms either from the pH being incorrect or because of root problems, for example overwatering. Have you been checking the pH? The pH being too high or too low is the number one cause of nutrient deficiencies.

How often are you watering the plant and how much are you giving at a time? It's a small plant in a big pot so you want to be careful to avoid drowning it. At this point, I wouldn't soak the whole medium because the plant won't be drinking enough to go through it all. You want to be giving your plants enough water that you're watering every 2-3 days. If it's taking longer than that to dry out, you should give less water at a time, and if it's drying out in just a day you should be giving more water at a time. More on how to water your seedlings in a big pot.

Right now I would focus on TLC, pH, watering properly, and making sure the environment is good with plenty of light but not too hot. You've got this!

Comment

• BlueBudz
          BlueBudz commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok I will avoid this in the future. I’m having a hard tim finding a concrete answer to ideal ph value. So many different suggestions. 6.8 is the most common I can find for soiless, what would you suggest?

• Vapo69
          Vapo69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey dude, for soiless I would be at ph 6, soiless medium is ph 5.5 - 6.5, soil is ph 6.0 - 7.0 as a general guideline

• NebulaHaze
          NebulaHaze commented
          Editing a comment
          100% agree with Vapo69.

Ok than that’s what I’ll aim for. The person at the hydro shop said that but then a buddy said 7 ugh so many different answers. I’ll go with 5.5-6.5 as only after I went higher did I notice the leaves turning. Thanks so much for the reply’s, this is exactly why I joined this awesome community!
        Setup
        4’x4’x6.6’
        600W MH

Comment

Happy thanksgiving Americans! So this is the plant that was topped. It seems I still have a problem, I recently increased my nutes and adjusted my ph to around 6. Do you think what I’m seeing on the plant is old damage or current problem? Should the leaves that started to turn continue until they fall off or should the leaves stop worsening when the problem has been fixed? Some of the leaves look beautiful. It’s been under a 400w MH for a week or so.
          Last edited by BlueBudz; 11-24-2017, 08:25 PM.
          Setup
          4’x4’x6.6’
          600W MH

Comment

• BlueBudz
            BlueBudz commented
            Editing a comment
            sorry can’t upload photos for some reason.

Setup
          4’x4’x6.6’
          600W MH

Comment

Setup
            4’x4’x6.6’
            600W MH

Comment

• BlueBudz
              BlueBudz commented
              Editing a comment
              This was November 14

Could it possibly be a calcium deficiency? Or it might just be the old leaves slowly dying from the damage they had before. It does look the new growth is healthy and green, which is a great sign. Are you seeing any new leaves get sick, or just the old sick ones dying? If the symptoms are not affecting new leaves, I would definitely still keep an eye out, but not worry as much.

You've been putting the water in at around 6 pH, which is good, but have you tried checking the pH of the runoff water? If it's coming out a lot higher or lower than what you're putting it, it could be a sign there's a problem with pH at the roots even if you're giving them water at the right pH.

Just curious, how far away is your LED from the tops of your plants? Overall it seems like you're doing a good job so far, you've got lots of green plants in there!

Comment

• BlueBudz
              BlueBudz commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Nebula, thanks for the fast response. I have not checked the runoff because it’s in a rather large pot and I’m afraid of overwatering. I started using a growth burst from DNF ( same as my nutes) and a cal-mag. It hasn’t spent much time under the led it was under the hps. I inherited a 400w mH 8-9 days ago and been under since @18/6 about 23”

I would definitely give them a day or two and see how they're doing before I changed anything else, especially since the new growth looks good It sounds like you're doing all the right things, and I definitely would keep them under the 400W MH. I think you'll be happy with the growth under that light. Once your plants are growing well, you could lower that light light down to 14" or so and see how the plants react. Once they're growing strong you can keep a 400W MH as close as 12" away as long as it's not too hot (if it's too hot for your hand after 30 seconds, it's too hot for your plants).

Comment

Ok perfect I’ll lower the light today! It’s in a cooling tube so you can put your skin on the glass and it doesn’t even burn
              Setup
              4’x4’x6.6’
              600W MH

Comment

So I dropped the light down to 14” and gave her a nice big gulp of fresh 6.0 water. Is it possible that this could be from under watering? The 4th pic in the symptom guide for under watered looks a lot like mine did. I’m asking because I just gave at least 2L guessing more and still no runoff! And the pot is heavier than I have felt it yet. I have been trying to water minimally to avoid over watering and was very surprised how much she took. Could I possibly just not be giving enough water and in turn she’s not getting enough nutes as well? Man there is more to this growing pot thing than I expected lol
                Setup
                4’x4’x6.6’
                600W MH

Comment

• BlueBudz
                  BlueBudz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It’s in a fabric pot using Pro-Mix BX with added pearlite. Lots of air circulation and temp is about 22day 19night humidity 40-50%

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X