Small pots, flowering plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small pots, flowering plants

I have been growing a few Sour Kush clones and never planned on much since I didn't have a set up other than a few CFLs hanging around, but got attached and now have 3 flowering plants 4-5 weeks after switching to 12/12 lighting.
    After the first week of 12/12 I put them under 400w HPS.
    They've had a plethora of problems since I got them but seem to be doing reasonably well.
    The current (known) problem is that I didn't transplant them until after they started flowering and at that point only put them in 1-1/2 gallon pots (they weren't happy for a few days but rebounded).
    I did a lot of LST during veg, -- because of that they're only about 8-10 inches tall but they each have about 16 burgeoning buds at (or near) canopy level.
    Obv. the buds aren't widely spaced and the canopy is about as dense as it could get.
    Realizing that the pot size is probably way too small, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions as to how much/often to fertilize and any other suggestions.
    (the need to be watered every other day at this point).

Canna Terra plus medium
    Canna veg/flores/zyme/boost/rhizo
    Fans
    Temps 64-72 night, 75-81F day
    A little nut. burn and a little leaf clawing(?) 4 weeks ago (I think I miss-measured).

Hello 7e7,
    let me start out by saying your look super snd relatively healthy for a unplanned grow! Now, heres somethings to think about, cannabis likes to dry out between watering, your clawing and drooping is probably due to overwatering, we'll talk about that some more after a couple of questions. Do you feed nutrients every watering? Or do you skip one? How much water do you feed at a time?
    I would concern myself with the nutrient burn on the tips that's pretty light and they'll be fine as long as you don't overfeed again. Now the pots, If it was my plant at that stage in those containers I would not transplant this late in the game you can hurt your yield now.
    Mr.F
    Space for Rent.

Comment

Thanks Mr.furley
      It probably is over watering -- It seems like a tough balancing act because they droop in a different way after 48 hours without water (the leaves (especially the sugar leaves) kind of lay flat on top of each other if that makes sense).
      By the time I water, the top inch or two is dry but maybe not crispy dry.
      I have been giving them 4 cups each per watering -- I don't water until it runs out the bottom for fear of over watering......
      At first I was feeding every watering (lack of clarity re:canna's instructions) - but over the past few weeks only every other watering.
      Should I be waiting until they show more significant signs of needing water or maybe water less but every day?
      And -> for fertilizing, I'm wondering if I should maybe change anything as far as amounts due to the cramped growing situation?

Comment

7e7,
        here is 2 ways to look at it and what I would suggest doing.
        1) don't change a thing you plant are doing good with about 4-5 weeks to go may just think to stay the course unless thing worse'n.
        2) if you think you need to do a water adjustment, try give the plant enough water till you see a little runoff but not to much, use the lift the pot and 1 inch of the top to gage your next water. Try giving them more water less often, with that small of a pot they will use it up fast.
        now either way I would suggest to remove (this is normally done at week 3 in flowering) 10 to 20 percent of the biggest fan leafs off each plant, remove ones that are touching, in the middle blocking buds, down low not getting light. Just don't take a whole bunch, but let some light in. be lite with the Clippers as the plant will needs leaf to finish stronge. This can help declutter them and focus more light snd water on the buds. If you have trepidation about it, don't do it but I think a lite pruning will help you in the long run.
        hope this helps
        Space for Rent.

Comment

Thanks again @Mr.furley,
          I think I'll go for option 2 : )
          I took a few fan leaves off here and there over the past few weeks, but I keep feeling like there's not a lot of leaf surface area to support what they seem to be trying to do budwise (not to be confused with buddumb which I've been known to personify after partaking sometimes).
          But I'll def. take your advice on a few problem leaves that have been blocking.
          I can't believe there're still 4-5 weeks left -- I hope I can keep them going (hopefully with some good girth burgeoning).
          I'm looking forward to a more pre-planned (and now hopefully slightly more educated) grow for my next round.

Comment

• Mr.furley
            Mr.furley commented
            Editing a comment
            Good deal 7e7, From what I see of your first grow you have a bright future growing cannabis. Please keep a close eye on your plant's as you change your schedule they will tell you if they or happy or sad.as far as the time table 60 days is a fast harvest and I find that 80 days is a realistic number, if you don't have a Jeweler's loupe get one so you can watch your trichrome develop, this is the best way time harvest your buds.
            Good luck and keep us post
            Mr.F

Morning 7e7, nice looking, great job so for, cept for pot size. When flowering they really drink lots of water , so you need to stay on top of that , an only water them when your pot is dry and lite, don't worry about a little drooping because that's how I tell when my plants need watering, they like to be dry before every watering, . Great advise from Mr.Furley above. Good Luck
          Cfls for a week or two
          315lec for everything else
          Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

Thanks D.A.A.S.69 (sorry for the delay).
            I switched to watering more - but less often & they're still hanging in there in spite of everything.

I never expected to get to the point where I need to support the buds.....

As can be seen in this picture (of a willing model), some of the hairs are starting to turn (although I can't see the color change under pure HPS lighting).

The trichomes are still almost all clear.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea of about how long (on average) the trichomes take to turn to a milky white once they start changing?
            (or, approx. how long to expect for the trichome change to happen once the hairs start turning)
            And/or, from looking at my picture if anyone has a best guess as to how far from harvest I am.
            (shift to 12/12 lighting was on 9/17).

I'm hoping to flush them at the right time but don't want to do it too early or miss it all together.

Comment

Evening 7e7, I tell you 7e7 you have done a wonderful job so for ,beautiful plants. Using that 400 hps an small pots you are definitely gonna have to watch your watering real close ,cause they will dry out real quick, especially since they are flowering ,an drinking lots, when you see those clawing leaves that's a sure sign of overwatering, next time they droop or wilt a little pick up your pot and see how light it is, then water till about 15-20 percent of what you just put in comes out the bottom of your pot, an pick up your pot again an you will feel how much heavier it is now after watering, that's how you tell when they need watering by how lite your pot is.
              your doing great so for, and looks like you still have a good way to go before harvesting. Plus the last 2 or 3 weeks is when those nice buds will double and sometimes triple in size and weight.
              like TomPetty says waiting is the hardest part. Patience is hard but well worth the wait. Good Job and Good Luck.
              Cfls for a week or two
              315lec for everything else
              Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
              36x36x63 inch tent.
              6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
              Smart pots
              Molasses
              Autoflowers

Comment

7e7, if you have to support you buds you have done something terribly right! Good job! This is the hardest part, the part that requires patience. If your only seeing clear I would be prepared for 2 to 4 more weeks at least it is all dependent on your taste of a high. The big indicator if you don't have a Jeweler's loupe would be about 70-90% of your pistils to Curlin and turn red.
                Space for Rent.

Comment

Update:

Thanks again for all the advice not to harvest early.
                  (They were without light (from power outage) for 2 full days + 4 hours on the third day).
                  They might have even liked it....

Somehow I missed that the trichomes should be checked on the buds rather than the sugar leaves -- thanks to whoever pointed that out (I can't find the post in this thread now).

Still having no experience with what I'm looking at, I'm hoping for opinions on how close they are to optimal harvest time.
                  I've noticed that the hairs are curling in a lot, and the buds actually look a lot different when viewed from above (kind of shriveled hairs, etc.).
                  I sure can't seem to find many of what I thought were amber-colored trichomes that I thought I saw a week ago.

The close-up picture was taken yesterday and the other one is from 3 days ago - I spent a lot of time setting up lighting for that picture so I figured someone should probably see it - (I like how they're trying to look all seasonally appropriate).

I sure hope it all ends up smelling, tasting, and working as good as it looks after I'm no longer a drying/curing virgin....

I'm definitely open to any opinions as to harvest timing, whether I should partially harvest (smaller buds don't seem quite as ripe but are close), etc.

Last edited by 7e7; 11-06-2017, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Most excellent pics.
                    Yes you can chop down the main cola, and wait a week or more for the rest.
                    It is very very close. If you want to wait for amber trichomes, they'll be along soon.
                    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
                    Mars Hydro
                    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Thanks Canuck147

I'm assuming the purple-ish fan leaves aren't doing much photosynthesis at this point -- should I be taking them off now if I'm planning on harvesting in a few days? (I'll try the partial harvest on at least one plant).

Comment

Well, as long as they are on the plant, they will photosynthesize.
                        In my opinion - harvesting is the second most fun one can have with a cannabis plant.
                        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
                        Mars Hydro
                        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X