I am having trouble germinating my seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! I am having trouble germinating my seeds

I am having trouble germinating my seeds... Just a little background, i have a simple hydroponics system, (pots hang in the bucket, while a tube pump oxygen in the reservoir) which i purchased a few years ago and had good results, but recently i have been having problem germinating my seeds. Previously, i would put my seeds in rapid rooter plugs and pop them into my system where the seeds would germinate in theplugs, but recently i been having problems doing the same thing. I don't know if its because i changed strains.... Any suggestions are input would be appreciated.

prolly bad seeds. I just usually dig a hole with my toe, and droppem in. Not really an exotic method of seed germination, but it works.

Comment

Any hints as to what variety those seeds might be? I learned the hard way that some Sativa strains are fussy and fragile (there is a section in the how-to about these). They really don't like being too wet until they are couple inches tall. A few of mine sprouted, then drowned in Jiffy Pellets when I soaked them just once. Perhaps dry them and try the old reliable DAMP (not soaking) paper towel method.

Comment

• Zativa
        Zativa commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen to 'fussy and fragile' Sativas. Seeds for one variety I tried in the past drowned if they got just slightly too wet. Watched four at a time sprout, then die because the Jiffy Pellets I started them in held too much water. But they were definitely very good seeds from a reliable source. Once I figured out the problem, the rest did very well indeed. As soon as they grew into plants with leaves and roots, they became very robust trees. Not much else to add to this discussion, except that this is a VERY Real problem and can easily explain the 'failures to germinate' you describe.

How old are the seeds? Where did you get them from? Are they a legit place? Regular seeds or feminized? They're probably either bad seeds or that certain strain may take longer to germinate. Also, the environment you have them in also helps. Seeds need it to be somewhat hot when trying to germinate/sprout. At least 80 F minimum.

I suggest next time try soaking them in R.O. water for about 8 hours to soften the outer shell just a bit. Then put them in a paper towel method in a warm place. Once the taproot is out, then you can try transplanting them into either your rapid rooters plugs or rockwool. I use this method and usually get my beans to germinate/sprout within 3 to 4 days. Hope that helps.
      Cannabliss - Grow The Bliss
      White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

Where did u buy the seeds? My method works 9 outa 10 times soak in luke warm water 18hours in the dark then use paper towel method for 2days in the dark temp mid 70's works basicly every time. Dnt soak seeds past 24h. If ur seeds dnt germinate there bad seeds

Comment

Stay away from cheap seed companys like dutch seed shop I have wasted my money on them 50seeds didnt pop

Comment

Use well know companys nirvana truenorth seeds ams crop kings they are all gd companys

Comment

Thanks all for your insights!!!! I believe my seeds are good since i got them from a reputable source. Since i have a hydroponic system, i usually put my seeds in a rooter plug, then in a net pot and put in my water reservoir. I usually get germination with no problem but lately no success. .. FMI, when you guys say put seeds in warm water, are you guys referring to warm tap water or water boiled to a warm temperature? I will provide picture of my current set up in the near future... Thanks again for any insight...

Comment

• Cannabliss
                Cannabliss commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't soak them in warm water. I just soak them in room temperature R.O. water and put them in a dark spot.

• tyler_ hobbyist
                tyler_ hobbyist commented
                Editing a comment
                Water that is 75ish degrees also if ur haveing issues add a low dose of kelp to the water, kelp has rooting hormones and will help root and increase root mass plus a lot of extra qualitys

I put my from soak to 2nd week of seedling on heat mats to make the root temp 75ish degrees

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X