Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blumat plant spikes, or similar products. Any experience / luck with these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blumat plant spikes, or similar products. Any experience / luck with these?

These are 5 inch conically shaped ceramic spikes, or probes, which are connected by 8mm tubing manifold to an elevated reservoir. They allow solution to flow by gravity into your pots whenever the soil in which each probe is placed becomes dry. Once the probe is surrounded by moist soil, the flow stops. Looks like a very easy set up. They are adjustable in some way, probably by how quickly water flows when they are dry.

Main interest in them is because I will need to be away for 10 days in the middle of my next grow, but also, they should make it easier to water the plants in the back of my SoG set up, and if they work well enough, make life easier in general. Of course, I will test them for a couple of weeks before I actually take off.

My plants are in cloth pots.

There is another similar device, which is less expensive, in which each spike draws water up from a vessel which is BELOW the soil level. As the ceramic dries out, the flow of solution into it creates suction to draw water out of the lower container. In this setup, each spike must have its own dedicated intake tube, and must be located above the reservoir. I suspect that this is a less reliable, and less flexible arrangement than the gravity fed system.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X