Possible light issue in drying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible light issue in drying

So last night when I was hanging everything to dry, I left my cell phone with approximately a 60 to 80 Lumen flashlight on pointed toward the plants for about 6 hours. As soon as I realized I did this I immediately got the phone out of the room. My question is, there is a lot of people who say any light will ruin a harvest. I've always done the first 3 days 100% Darkness so I'm curious if anyone has had any negative results from doing what I've done? Maybe a stupid question, but I can't find anything about accidental light posted on here. More just drying with grow lights and open bedroom doors... thank you for any help

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Few lights leaks during drying - big deal. It's not like they are going to revert back to males or anything......
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Morning gmoney, I don't know about the others but I have always checked on mine wherever I hung them tent, closet.barn rafters . A little light for a little while ought not hurt anything, I know it ain't never hurt mine.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

I don't understand this dark concept: What is it that light is supposed to do to damage the cure?

I've seen numerous how-tos on curing that never mention darkness at all.

Explain, please!
        First-time California outdoor medical backyard grower -- Aurora Indica Feminized plants in soil.

Comment

Something bout messing up the trichs I think 600m, diminishing the quality.
          Cfls for a week or two
          315lec for everything else
          Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
          36x36x63 inch tent.
          6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
          Smart pots
          Molasses
          Autoflowers

Comment

Once you harvested, the light issues no longer apply. It is true for storing weed for an extended period that light is the enemy of THC. I always keep my storeroom dark. I even go so far as storing my weed in black Mason Jars. But for the short period you're talking about, I wouldn't worry about tit.

Comment

• kingfish
              kingfish commented
              Editing a comment
              bluecanoe, I got mine on line. I also found them at Kmart.

• bluecanoe
              bluecanoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Kingfish, we don't have Kmart down here, all the ones we had have closed. I'll look at maybe Bed Bath and Beyond. But wouldn't painting mason jars black or covering them in black construction paper be just as effective? As long as no light gets to it. I'm hoping to get enough yield to put in more than one jar! My goals are small but each grow, they get bigger!

• kingfish
              kingfish commented
              Editing a comment
              bluecanoe, I don't see why not.

Agree with kingfish

Comment

Gmoney I think you have two separate issues confused. 1. You don't want any light leaks once you've switched your plants to the flowering phase because the light will mess with the flowering hormone. 2. Like others said above, best to dry harvested cannabis in a cool, dark place.

And then there's how folks treat the herb after it's cured. I never leave herb out exposed to light and warmer temps; I don't put baggies of herb in my pants pocket where my body heat will cook it; I never leave it in a hot car, etc. Many people are careless about how they treat herb without realizing how they let it degrade by these practices.
              Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
              2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
              Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                bluecanoe I wouldn't put plants in the grow space to dry: it's probably too warn: you want them in a dark space, 68-70 degrees. I hang mine in my closet in my coolest room. Humidity should be around 50%. The drying conditions are really crucial, because you're trying to preserve all the integrity of the trichomes and their precious content--cannabinoids as well as the terpenes, which evaporate quickly if there's too much warmth.

• bluecanoe
                bluecanoe commented
                Editing a comment
                allatatup, thanks. The humidity in this house is high. We're waiting on work to be done to reduce the moisture level, including 2 dehumidifiers, one upstairs and one downstairs. I can't put them in my closet, we have an issue with mold, due to the moisture. The grow room stays cool, except in the tent where the temps stay around 75-80. I have come up with a plan, I am going to use a cookie cooling rack with a grease splatter screen that you use over a skillet on top so as not to lose precious stuff that might fall off, and still get plenty of ventilation. I plan on getting a box to fit over the set up and poke some holes in it so it can get ventilation and still stay dark. It stays about 65-70 in that room and there's a ceiling fan that runs 24/7/ I'm pretty good at rigging, so I hope this works. I've had a hard day so I am going to go harvest and trim to calm my nerve. I only have one and it's shot!

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                Your description of the grow room sounds ideal!!! I always think of a warmish grow room, but outside the tent sounds just right.

I had horrid humidity and mold problems in one bathroom, and when I had the disgustingly old and rusty tub removed, they discovered leaking pipes. I hope you get the humidity problem resolved!!!!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X