Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EC levels high

Hello all

Here is the scoop. I went straight from clone dome to 1 gallon root maker pots. I used black magic brand potting soil and it is my first time using it. I have used straight water with varying pH from 6.2 - 7.15. Im in day 19 of veg and getting a great pH runoff consistently in 6.2 - 6.8 but my EC is also VERY HIGH. Averaging 5.8 ec (4080 ppm). I have attached a couple photos and so far the plants look great to me. Having trouble with low humidity atm but other than that things seem good so I am confused and nervous a storm is brewing for these plants.

So heres a couple questions.

1) I knew soil came packed with nutes and would not need to add any for a while but an ec runoff of that caliber seems extremely high. Yes or no?

2) at day 19 should I not have seen some sort of drop in my EC? If not when is the typical time until i should start noticing drops? And has anyone tried black magic potting soil?

3) Im filtering the runoff water to get excess soil out of the water etc. Im using "analytical instruments pH-217" (pic attached) and as far as i know it is calibrated correctly. So is there something im just plain missing?

So all in all thats everything as far as I know. I can provide more info or pics if needed. Am I stressing for no reason and should let it all ride out for now? Like i said the plants seem pretty good looking to me as of now and no signs of nute burn or root issues. Thanks for any help

p.s.

A little off topic but im about to add in my diy co2 setup (sugar, water, yeast) im hoping with the reaction it has in the jug along with releasing co2 it may increase the RH slightly? Ill find out soon enough just jmhoping to hear the answer i want lol.

Your high ppm in the runoff is the water washing the nutrition out of the soil. Soil growers don't water to 'run off' for that reason.
    CO2 will help only when you are pushing the plants with maximum light.
    My 2c and as always, I may be wrong so go with what you believe.
    completed 7 grows
    what I have learned so far:
    environment maters more than nutrients
    at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
    effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

Originally posted by Flockshot View Post
      Your high ppm in the runoff is the water washing the nutrition out of the soil. Soil growers don't water to 'run off' for that reason.
      CO2 will help only when you are pushing the plants with maximum light.
      My 2c and as always, I may be wrong so go with what you believe.
      I always grow in coco so im a little confused sorry. If im not measuring my runoff in soil when will i know I have drained the soil of nutrition to start adding nutes? And an ec of 5.8 seems extremely high to me. If im getting that in my runoff then it has to be in the soil? As far as i know ec shouldnt really need to go higher than 2 at a max. And black magic mix is not meant to carry through the whole cycle as far as i know. I am going to be transplanting to 3 gallons eventually though so maybe? Sorry just new to soil and essentially thought it would be like coco except just came pre packed with nutes to get you by through the first few weeks. Just seeing levels that high scares me from what im use to.

Also as far as the co2 i know it only helps growth with max light output. Im running 600w HPS right now and could bump all the way up to 1200w if I so choose but figured it wouldnt do much for growth atm. I was just hoping the chemical reaction would maybe push a little more water into the air bumping up my humidity?

btw thanks for the help flockshot
      Last edited by DSGrassman; 10-12-2017, 05:21 AM.

Comment

I would expect 4000 ppm to burn those plants quickly so maybe your meter is off? Try measuring EC / PPM of bottled water. I'm not sure of EC but bottled water should have a very low ppm. Just to make sure your meter is fairly close. A quick google shows Aquafina to have about 10 ppm. Your meter should show about the same if it's fairly accurate.
        4X4 Gorilla with Solar Storm 440 LED. Coco / perlite, 5 Gallon fabric containers. LST and scrog. Grows to date all Indica Dominant Hybrids

2018 Grow Journal Here -->> (Blackjack, Super Skunk, Critical CBD)

2017 Grow Journal Here -->> (AK 48, Wonder Woman, Master Kush)

Comment

Dude what sheesh said, what scale are you using for conversion ec to ppm pls? ....6.8 is way too high on any lol....just wondered
          The more I know, the better I grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheesh View Post
            I would expect 4000 ppm to burn those plants quickly so maybe your meter is off? Try measuring EC / PPM of bottled water. I'm not sure of EC but bottled water should have a very low ppm. Just to make sure your meter is fairly close. A quick google shows Aquafina to have about 10 ppm. Your meter should show about the same if it's fairly accurate.
            Its all automated. Im testing with the ph-217 it just has a button to scale ffom ppm to ec. It does seem extremely high but again no issues eith the plants as of now. You dont happen to see any potential signs i may have missed in the potos i posted? I was thinking it was the instrument itself but like i said before everything seems calibrated. Its reading bottled water at an acceptable ec. Not quite sure what to think. Only thing i can think of is the excess soil in the runoff is diluting the water way too much before i filter and test it? Or the stupid tester is broken but reads pH and temp fine. I guess i have to go and try another ec pen. Only thing i dont get is its consistently staying that high as well. You wiuld think it drop drop a little with each feeding. Im so at a loss... Who knows again maybe i shouldnt stress and just ride it out.
            Last edited by DSGrassman; 10-12-2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Not that it matters to anyone but EC is now starting to run down. Plants are doing great (except beardance. Still not looking bad but seems stunted. Hanging on for them to start blowing up 😅) TBH I havent been stressing because the plants havent been. One thing ill say is these ladies are blowing up and I have yet to break into my nutes. Im on day 25 of veg and still at a high EC but im about to transplant into 3 gallons which means EC will be boosted again....

Heres what a co-worker and i have come up with and our next steps. It is a most likely a micro nutrient causing a high salt run off. No way it's Nitrogen. The plants would be burned to shit if it were. Im looking into ALL ingredients and additives to black magic soil. Tbh so far so good. Just curious on the EC still....

Please post with opinions. This is an unheard of conundrum.... My meter is fine btw. These are true readings

Comment

Distilled water has zero ppm. Start there in my opinion.

Madman

Comment

Don't know about your soil but does it have time release nutrients if it does you need to ditch it get some cannabis friendly soil. ☮️ Just my two cents

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X