No announcement yet.

Reservoir Temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I’d share my own little technique on here since this topic is becoming pretty informative concerning ways of lowering ones reservoir temps. I provided a pic to help with my explanation.

Anyway, it’s basically a shallow reservoir with just water and a couple of those blue ice blocks. Then you place your growing buckets into the water reservoir (bottom left pic). For some reason those last much, much longer than just frozen water bottles. I use two to three of those ice blocks and it keeps my temps down in the low to mid 60’s for a good 12 hours (at least for me). I change them as needed. So whatever temps are in the water reservoir, those same temps will be in the nutrient reservoir. This way I don’t have to be adding ice blocks directly into the nutrient reservoir and disturbing the root system, etc. Afterward you can cover the water reservoir with black/white poly material so light won’t enter and keep the temps cooler, longer. The top left pic is when I was growing pepper plants a while back. It has three 2-gal buckets underneath the poly material, but can fit four. Top right pic shows a Carolina Reaper pepper plant I grew in a 5-gal bucket using same technique. Bottom right pic shows the root system of the Reaper plant. No issues, no root rot, just happy, white roots. Water chillers did cross my mind, but my budget doesn’t allow and I just want to use less electrical devices as possible. It has been working for me for years without any issues. Water reservoir can be any size, but I recommend the short shallow ones. Even a smaller, shallow one that can just barely handle a 5-gallon bucket and a couple of ice blocks will work fine too. Hope this helps give someone some ideas for a cheaper way of lowering their reservoir temps.
    Cannabliss - Grow The Bliss
    White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice setup, bliss!!!!

• Cannabliss
      Cannabliss commented
      Editing a comment
      alltatup Thanks my friend.

Cannabliss that is a great idea i like it, my probem is i have a 20 gal resevoir with 16 gals of water in it. One thing i was gonna do was buy some copper tubing a quarter inch thick by 10 feet long, and coil it around the inside of the resevoir, attach one end of the coil to a water pump in a separate ice resevoir, and the other end of the coil just sitting in the ice resevoir, so the ice water gets pumped through the copper tubing which is sitting inside the reservoir and then back into the ice water container, this way the ice water and reservoir water dont mix. If i used separate containers for each plant i would utilize your method. thanks for the post Cannabliss

Comment

alltatup this make and model of chiller works well? it is only like 20 inches tall and 20 inches long and 12 inches wide right? i ask because im hoping to squeeze it inside my tent.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      It works quite well, but it needs space and to be in a cooler environment in order to bring cooler water back into the reservoir. You may need to get some longer tubing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and run them into the tent, keeping the chiller in a cooler place. It needs room to breathe. Mine are in a 74 degree room, not close to the walls, and a decent distance from the grow boxes.

I also put the water pump into a filter bag, cuz on the last grow (first time i had the chiller), the interior of the chiller was a bitch to clean all the gunk build up out of. I had to keep putting in strong H2O2 and water, which I alternated with vinegar and water, and all this gunk kept pouring out when I tipped out the liquid.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A83LZ4XZH4503

Good info!!! thanks GanjaGed

Comment

Cannabliss i believe a chiller operates the same way, I assumed copper would be safe because as someone mentioned its what they do when brewing beer, and i thought that they used copper tubing but again i may be wrong. Regardless i ended up buying the chiller because it just seems to be the easiest way. Thanks or your post!!

Comment

alltatup i have plenty of tubing so if setting it away from the tents and running the lines into it is the best way then thats what ill do, I appreciate the hint about the subpump prefilterbags!!!!! i went ahead and grabbed a batch as soon as you said that you had trouble cleaning the chiller. Since you have the same exact chiller that i purchased I know your info is good and I am able to benefit from something it took you almost a whole grow to learn about your chiller. That is the benefit of this forum. The info is firsthand and "checkUpOnAble" . Good info man thanks.!!!!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X