RF noise from digital ballast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RF noise from digital ballast

A friend of mine just had a bad experience with the Cable Guy came over to his house and said that a bad signal or frequency was coming out of his house he let the Cable Guy in lucky for him that he just got done with what he was doing and the only thing he was growing was veggies the cable guy did a test and said that the frequency was coming from his ballast he turned them off and the cable guy said that everything was cool now I did a little bit of research and read about people having the same issue or better yet had the same thing happen to them that is something really serious for those that are not in a legal state,, I thought I would post this since I haven't seen anything written on this here ,,, my friends do your research on this be safe I'm not an expert on this I really don't know a lot about it Im just passing it on

Good tip mate........I will watch out for this now
    The more I know, the better I grow.

Comment

• Little
      Little commented
      Editing a comment
      Please do my friend I didn't know about it till my friend told me what had happened to him , be safe my friend

I use a Solis Tek ballast I tested for RF noise when setting up and throughout the grow. RF noise was noted for a radius of 20 feet after that no noise was detected. I guess a cheep model ballast could be a problem buy quality units only no cheepe stuff.

Comment

• Little
      Little commented
      Editing a comment
      I did a test on mine with a radio on am on a Clear Channel the channel only went crazy with static when I got like like a foot from the ballast but i dont know if I have to get that close to get RF noise does that mean no other radio or cable could get it from me I was reading and I read someone say that it could still go to the wires in the wall into other people's houses I don't know how true that is

My internet router sits on my ballast signal no problems SO FAR. 6 grows no reports from neighbors or cable guy

Comment

• Little
      Little commented
      Editing a comment
      where I was living at before I had no problems but I moved here after my accident cuz of the wheelchair ramp that was built to the house and I haven't done nothing since I've been here , I did the post because a friend of mine had a visit from the cable man it's crazy cuz he has been living at that same house for 15 years never had a problem till he went and got 2 new ballast he told me about it and i posted the post to let others know at the same time i am a little worried cuz like I said I just moved here and after doing research on it kind of like got me confused in some ways , but I did a test with the am station on and everything seems to be okay had no problems only when I got the radio next to the ballast that it went crazy , I read it's ok if RF is only a few feet away , I still have to do an outside test because I also read that it could be good in my house but still get through the wires of the house and give a bad frequency out to houses around me , I don't know much about this but I'm hoping after I do the outside test everything will be cool if not back to LED , if u know of any other test I could do I really would appreciate the help,

They do sell add on RF filters for most ballast's on Amazon if you think you need one

Comment

• Little
      Little commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw them I don't think I need it but I'm still going to get 2 just to be on the safe side , thank you my friend

The solution to RF emissions is a Faraday cage. Easily made: Sloppy but simple would be to cut a piece of screening (like on a window screen) and flop it over the ballast, or whatever is causing the problem, and tape it down. Or, build a simple tress, staple the screen around it, and place on the offending unit,covering it. They are probably available on line but you may not find the shape required--or like the price you see.
    Last edited by Panos; 08-18-2017, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X