Humidty too low in jars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humidty too low in jars

It's been less than a week since jarring my buds. Some last Wed, the rest on Sat. I know that isn't very long, but the humidty in the first two jars tested at 59% this morning. The jars from Sat tested at 60%. Instead of having 5 jars between 1/2 and 2/3 full, I combined them into 4 fuller jars. All I have been doing is just opening and closing jars for about one minute, but it seems to be dropping like one degree per day. If it drops any lower, should I go ahead and put in the 62% two way packets? I really don't want them to over dry at this early stage. I could move them out of the tent, but since we've been using our furnace about once or twice a day, I think the humidtty is the entire house is probably below 60%. Any other suggestions?

Personally, I'd go with the packets! If you figure you could be off by a percentage or so, its still time to stabilize them!
    Team AutoMechanics

Comment

How do the buds look ? Do they look green or brownish. ? If it has a nice greenish look and the buds feel a little stiff to the touch, then they are just the way you want them. Close you jars and once a day open them long enough to take a quick sniff. Make sure no mold. Do that for about another couple of days then don't open them anymore. Unless you want some of course. I wouldn't let the RH worry me too much.
      PS you did right by filling the jars.

Comment

• Jibblerjoe
        Jibblerjoe commented
        Editing a comment
        I liked this comment.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. I was thrilled to see that were at 62%, but I guess they just naturally lose some moisture during the early days of cure, even if the lids aren't off for more than a few minutes. When I check them tomorrow morning, I'll probably drop in the packets.

Comment

Originally posted by kingfish View Post
        How do the buds look ? Do they look green or brownish. ? If it has a nice greenish look and the buds feel a little stiff to the touch, then they are just the way you want them. Close you jars and once a day open them long enough to take a quick sniff. Make sure no mold. Do that for about another couple of days then don't open them anymore. Unless you want some of course. I wouldn't let the RH worry me too much.
        PS you did right by filling the jars.
        hey king, yes , I thought filling the jars fuller would definitely help. So if they stabilize at 59%, that's not too low? They do still have more of a greenish look, and the smell is already getting more fragrant. And yes the few buds I felt are stiff, but not crispy.

Comment

You really want it cured before the packets if it feels moist open jar for half an hour real moist out the jar for awhile. I harvested before you and I've never tested the rh in the jar but just feeling and smelling and don't let them clump up they should be good until at least the 4 week mark then you can keep them at the 62%

If they feel to dry the 62% will bring them back.
          I'm leaning towards freezing the jar if my C-vault is full.

Good luck!
          Bubblehead
          4x4 Gorilla Tent 600 watt hps and Veg Tent T5 Fluorescence
          4 Cures and a Life time gardener
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ze-these-leafs
          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...female-56-days

Comment

It sounds like you have done the right thing to start. I live in a mold capital_ so am very careful about that. The process you described is exactly what I do_ fill the jars the first 24hrs about half way and measure humidity next day. If its below 58% then I put in some more buds and repeat & check again 24hrs later. If it hasn't come up to 60% by the third day I put the 62% packets in for a few days or until the humidity stabilizes between 58-62%. Then I take the packets out for the next 4 weeks or so while they really get into the curing process. Then for long term storage (over 6 months) I'm thinking of putting in 58% packets and then sealing up tight and putting into freezer....though my harvest hasn't lasted more than 6 months, so not a problem yet. IMHO this process gets the humidity into the right range pretty quickly and then allows the buds to cure without the packets inside. But of course I keep checking them every 3-5 days_hard to resist trying them while they progress through the cure.
            I like the humidity sensors because its hard for me to tell by turning the jars _to separate the buds hoping to reduce chance of mold_because a lot of them stick together because of the resin, not moisture. If they feel dry but are moist enough that they smoke even and smooth then I figure I'm good. Personally I really don't want to put anything organic into the jars to increase moisture because you're just asking for contamination. Have you tried waiting for 2-3 days before monitoring the humidity? it might be that when you open the jars the dry air from the room might be influencing the reading you're getting after just 24hrs. If the 62% packets aren't doing the job put in another two or even three packets until the humidity gets within range, then take them out and measure again to be sure. I place the "used" packets into a sterilized canning jar so I can resume them until they are no longer effective.
            Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
            liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

Ok, here is what I am going to do for now. Since I made jars fuller, I will go without the packets for now. As long as it doesn't dip below 58%. There will no need to leave lids off jars more than a minute at most, just to check on them. Unless they start to feel crispy, I'll let them be for at least 2 weeks before adding in the packets. If it keeps dipping a degree every few days, those packets will go in asap. Again, I tend to over react. First time self doubt is my own worst enemy. LOL

Comment

Been following this with great interest since I got curing issues myself. Just wanted to chime in to say this curing process is the most confusing part of the whole growing process. To me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Haze View Post
                  Been following this with great interest since I got curing issues myself. Just wanted to chime in to say this curing process is the most confusing part of the whole growing process. To me anyway.
                  Not that I'm at that stage I am starting to agree. Its so crucial, and you don't want to mess it up. Although this is what my husband said, I don't care if it tastes like shit, as long as its potent. LOL

Comment

• kingfish
                    kingfish commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The most important discipline in growing weed is patience. You waited for it to dry. You trimmed it all up and put it in jars. All you need to be concerned with now is not to let mold spores in your jar.
                    "All good things come to those with patience." Grasshopper.

Your husband needs to listen to his wife. Or she will smoke all your weed up. If I talk back to my wife she goes on one of those cruise vacations.

Comment

Carsoti, I am conflicted. Some say it's too early to start using the Boveda packets. Some are saying that for now 58 or 59 is not too low. I am going to open the lids everyday even if just for one minute at least for two weeks. IF the humidity drops any lower I will be putting those packets in sooner. Another thought that since I made my jars fuller, it may help maintain that level without it dropping any further. I am going to check them everyday, open jars briefly and smell to make sure they are mellowing out and losing that fresh mowed hay smell.

I don't think it so drastically low(yet) that I need to worry so far. Kingfish, tells me to just be patient, it will be fine. I do have the packets ready and waiting to drop in when needed.

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

Comment

Please remember that famous husband quote! "its ok if it taste like s%^T as long as its good"

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X