Upgrading my growroom from CFLs to a VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading my growroom from CFLs to a VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light

I've been growing in a closet under CFLs for the past year using only fans to cool and am now ready to upgrade to a VIPARSPECTRA Dimmable Series PAR450 450W LED Grow Light - 3 Dimmers 12-Band Full Spectrum light. I have an extra room that is about 12'x12' and I want to set up a grow here instead of the closet. I only grow 2-4 plants at a time but it would be nice to have some elbow room to work. Do LEDs need to be vented? In the ceiling of this room there is an air intake vent (12x12) and an hvac vent (10x12) (see pictures). Can/should I run a duct from the light up into the air intake to pull heat out of the room? I can't vent out the window. Is anyone else using this type of LED and what type of set up do you have?
    I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
    Blue Mystic (7 gal)
    VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
    Coco Coir w/30% perlite
    Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

Dude to be fair LED'S run pretty cool.........my Viparspectra needed no cooling whatsoever as they had 3 fans in each.....run your new LED for a bit and see if it actually needs venting dude.......you might find that it will be ok and save doing the venting work
    The more I know, the better I grow.

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I've been reading but I needed to hear it from my GWE Community. Thanks, Vapo

Hey Dagmar , I like that name ,reminds me of Dagwood and Blondie, anyway I just got thru harvesting my plant after 87 days in a 2 by 2 by 4 tent , I used a 300 watt LED and had intake and outtake fans but all i used was just a tower fan the whole grow and it never got above 80 degrees the whole grow. My light drew only 164 watts at the wall and never got hot and I had an awesome harvest. My light only cost 89 bucks and did great ,your light is supposed to be a good one ,so good luck and hope this helps some. I just bought a 315lec and now don't know why I did that ,but I'm sure it will come in handy soon. Good Luck.
    Last edited by D.A.A.S.69; 07-14-2017, 10:55 AM. Reason: Misspell
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      Growing in a closet with CFLs tends to run a little hot in the Summer and the increase cost in electricity has been surprising. I think this upgrade will save me quite a bit. Thanks a lot for the response and feedback. I got a great deal on a new Pro series 450W Viparspectra for $120 (full price is $250-300).

That is a good deal ,I don't think you will have any trouble with using just an oscillating fan in your closet ,Good Luck. DAAS69
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

Dagmar

I'm using a combination of CFL's and a Viparspectra 300 watt LED in a 2' X 4' closet. I'm thinking of replacing the CFL's with either another 300 Watt Viparspectra LED or possibly the 450 Watt model. The 450 Watt model is appealing as it has switchable bloom and/or veg settings. Either option would put me ahead of the game on heat and hydro.

Have you considered that the return air vent will send odours circulating through the rest of the dwelling? Using a duct directly to it will intensify that effect.

Gears
      Last edited by Gears; 07-14-2017, 12:24 PM. Reason: Typo
      Do something nice for a stranger today!

Comment

• Dagmar
        Dagmar commented
        Editing a comment
        It never occurred to me that I would spread the odor problem - thanks. But from everything I'm hearing, heat will probably not be a problem. Do you use the CFLs for side lighting?
        \

• Gears
        Gears commented
        Editing a comment
        When I first started, I planned to grow two or three plants at a time. I figured on adding a few CFL's to the mix because the 300 Watt (136 real Watts) model is underpowered for this kind of spread. I later added a fourth plant. I ended up with 9 CFL's to compensate . And now, I have 3 more lighting a seedling I'm hoping to move under the LED in the next couple of weeks. So, that's a total of 276 real Watts of CFL's! It just got away from me.

I have a contract payment due at the end of the month. I plan to invest in another LED when that comes in.
        Last edited by Gears; 07-15-2017, 11:57 AM. Reason: typo

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X