Yellow tips, slow growing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow tips, slow growing

Please help!. I am growing Bubba motion seeds (Bubba OG & Ghost Train haze). I am using coco/Perlite medium, General Hydroponics FloraBloom, FloraGro, FloraMicro and Calimagic at half of the recipe that is on this site. I use well water and the PH is 6.4 and the run through at the bottom of the plant is 6.4. LED light 600W color 9band. I had the light about 24" above the plant but I moved it up to 32 after reading several posts on here. They are in a grow tent and fan to circulate air. Temperature is staying between 70-75°. The seed started growing great in the first pot and then transferred to a solo cup and it seemed they slowed a little bit but they finally reached the edge of the cup and then I transferred them to a 15 gallon pots and they grew a little but not what they should. I have had yellow tips the whole time and the bottom leaves died off. The plants are a little over a month old. I thought I was watering them too much so I started watering about every 4 days and using food every other water. I thought they were nutrient burned so I stopped using the nutrients but they didn't get better so then I lifted the light thinking the lights were burning them but still the same thing. I don't know what else to do. This is my second grow, the first was in regular potting mix but I wanted to do it different this time but its turning out to be a pain. PLEASE HELP

🌱If you're using the recipe on the site for the GH trio, I think it's actually already been cut in half for you. Is it the one in TSP instead of ML? If so I think you're supposed to use it as is. Also make sure you're using the one for "drain-to-waste" and not for "recirculating reservoir".

In coco you want to keep the pH from 5.5-6.5. I personally have found I get better results and fewer deficiencies when I stay on the lower side, like 5.5-6.3. I've found that some of my worst deficiencies happened when the pH got too high. But yours doesn't seem too bad since it is in the right range so I doubt it's the pH.

The main problem I see with these seedlings is they're all drooping. If it's not sweltering hot (which it isn't, you seem to have cool temperatures) that almost always means something is going on with the roots or with watering. The burns on the edge of the leaf I believe is the first sign of a deficiency, not nutrient burn. I've learned that seedlings often get nutrient deficiencies when they're droopy. I guess they aren't running at 100% when the roots aren't getting what they need. I feel like overwatering seems to be the easiest way to get seedlings to grow slowly. In fact, the biggest plants in your tent are the ones that aren't drooping.

Because of the stunting and droopiness, I think you're either underwatering or overwatering the seedlings. It's possible that they need more or less water at a time (often it's easy to overwater small plants in really big pots, since the coco takes forever to dry out and the seedlings aren't drinking much). They might also need to get water more or less often.

How much water are you giving at a time? How long does it take for the top inch to dry out? If you stick your finger deep into the coco, does it still feel very wet when you're watering. I've found it can help to give them water in a small circle around the base until they start growing faster, then you can start giving more water at a time.

I just want to say that I know how frustrating it can be to get the watering right when using a new growing medium or different size pots. I feel like it's almost the hardest part. But once you get it figured out it'll be so much better!

So just curious, the difference between this and last grow is you switched from soil to coco? Or did you have a different light, too? Did you have problems with droopiness your first grow? Does it ever get cold at night (cooler than 70F)? Just because I know some plants grow slower when it's cold, and I noticed you have an LED, which often stay really cool. 🌱
    (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Poof!

Comment

• Rescue302
      Rescue302 commented
      Editing a comment
      I will try to let them dry out between watering. I have been splitting 2 gallons between 7 plants every other day. My 1st grow did great. I used the same light and didn't ever see problems except once when my PH was high. I wanted to try coco this time because what I have read about it. It doesn't get cold here always above 70°. The only other thing that is different this time is the strain. Thanks for the advice, I will try it

I'm no expert yet, but all of my early problems of drooping, slow yet stretched growth, and discoloration were root/watering issues. I was watering too often in the beginning. When I gave a bit more water then spaced it out, the growth took off! I also moved my small plant into a better environment because the jiffy pot was staying moist from the constant watering and the roots were becoming bad.

Comment

I'm no expert but it's hard to over water coco as long as u take the run off water out , I water my plants everyday every other day nutrients and every other day (Ph) water with hydrogaurd so one day nutrients and the other PH water with hydrogaurd and i have no problems I give them hydrogaurd to prevent root rot,, ur temps r ok so it could be u have a nutrient lock out or root rot , flush ur plants and Give the them low nuts , and if u don't have hydrogaurd if I was u I would get it, it really helps the roots stay nice and clean , when I first started out with coco I had a lot of problems yellow tips , yellow and Brown leaves, plants was growing slow , so yes I had the same problems as u , I did what I just told u and everything got better , now it's not going to happen overnight but in a few days u will start to see improvements,, like I said I'm not an expert I'm just giving u what was giving to me here , ,, growers love from the heart

Comment

• Rescue302
        Rescue302 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok thanks. I will try the hydroguard and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice. I will keep you posted

Yea keep me posted but I think the hydrogaurd will help I'm pretty sure that you have some kind of root problem if you have any questions feel free to ask ,,growers love from the heart

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X