Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question re "stages of life"

I should know this, because I'm not that much of a "newbie", but I don't

I'm used to plants showing their female whit hairs, which over a period of time turn into brown hairs, like the Northern Light Auto below.

But some of my unfertilized female plants, instead of showing a lot of white hairs, show a few white hairs that look like they are coming out of little pods. The hairs are still mostly white and the tricomes are clear or white, but it looks "funny" to me, as if it were developing seed s. Like the Baby Boom CBD Auto attached below.

Am I just not noticing that all plants go through this stage, or do some strains look different in this way than others? I'm trying to figure out the best harvest time. By the way, these are outdoor plants, about 8 weeks old.

Hello Fred's I'm growing a NLAUTO that's 74 days old today that's gonna be harvested in a couple of days .She never had a veg.period Her pistils showed on day 21 and wasn't but about 6 inches tall then.That's when she started growing after she was flowering. As for your others I think you might have a hermaphrodite, not sure cause from my phone I can't see very well.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

I for got to ask FredW, where did you get your NLAUTO seeds. And it's not normal for them to be morphodikes I forgot to mention that in my first reply.
      Cfls for a week or two
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

I also am sort of a newbie . From what i read and talked to growers, they go by three basic factors . they watch the color of the hairs, when they turn red or brown and curl in , 2 the plant uses nutrients from the large leaves and they start turning form the bottom to the sugar leaves 3 the trics turn from clear to cloudy. I dont think all the plants act the same , so you kind of take all the signs together and make a educated guess. This is my 2nd outdoor auto grow and i used the above and made out pretty good last year.. 2 ozs. from 2 short stuff # 1 This year i have 1 short stuff 1 dark purple 1 critical+

Comment

Sorry.. The leaves start turning yellow from the bottom to the sugar leaves

Comment

I think it's a normal swollen calyx. It looks like a weird flower. It is not a male pollen sack that's for sure. It kinda looks like it's been pollinated but sometimes they just look like that and no seed. I wouldn't worry much about but keep an eye on it

Comment

I agree the NL looks fine from my phone ,but I'm not sure that's these are even the plants he's talking about from his question.
              Cfls for a week or two
              36x36x63 inch tent.
              Smart pots
              Molasses
              Autoflowers

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                9fingerleafs commented
                Editing a comment
                at first i was thinking the same thing but then i saw the description of the image and says "hairs coming out of pods" like what hes asking about... i think haha

Thanks for the responses. I don't think the Baby Boom is a hermaphrodite, because I've had other plants just do the same thing. I've just never paid enough attention to follow them from an earlier stage to figure out what they're doing. So I'll be glad if anyone else has some ideas about it.

About the Northern Light: It came as a bonus seed from an OASeeds order. I wondered also, so I wrote them to ask, and they sent me this link https://oaseeds.com/en/5756-oaseeds-...ern-light.html . This plant is about 4 feet tall, and my guess is it will make about 50 grams dry bud.

Comment

It's the Baby Boom CBD Auto I'm asking about. The NL is there as an example of "normal" development. I tend to agree with "I think it's a normal swollen calyx.", but I want to see what others think. Is that what usually happens, that the "calyxes swell" and the white hairs kink of go inside the calyx or otherwise disappear? If so, does the swelling of the calyx indicate anything about how ready for harvest it is?

Comment

• FredW
                  FredW commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So, 9fingerleafs, I didn't quite understand "the calyxes swollen right after harvest ". Do you mean "around the time for harvest" or what?

• 9fingerleafs
                  9fingerleafs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah sorry I was too "medicated" I meant right before. But this hapens to the whole flower it bulks up

• FredW
                  FredW commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And I beg pardon for not thanking you for the explanation, which sounds right. So, maybe that plant should have been picked before it got to that stage? (I'm going to move this last part up a level.)

Maybe that plant should have been picked before it got to that stage? I'm still a little confused, because that plant, and others that I've grown to that stage, still have white trichomes and just recently browned pistils. Which for me usually means to wait a little longer.

Comment

I think I'll let go of this for a while, read up more, and pay more attention to the plants.

Comment

Sorry I've been taking a nap , like my friend 9fingers I was over medicated. I forgot where we were , but that plant ain't ready to harvest if your talking about the one in the picture that's 8 weeks old . I'm gonna 're read everything again.
                    Cfls for a week or two
                    36x36x63 inch tent.
                    Smart pots
                    Molasses
                    Autoflowers

Comment

FredW there's several ways to tell when your plant is ready to harvest, I wouldn't go just by those white hairs (pistils) getting kinky an turning Brown , some turn red ,some purple .Normally your lower leaves start turning yellow ,best way is to check your trichs with a microscope or a jewellers loupe . You can get a pretty good idea by reading about your seed . If you get time Nebulas got great information about when to harvest. Not to many are ready in 8weeks. Sorry for nodding out.
                      Cfls for a week or two
                      36x36x63 inch tent.
                      Smart pots
                      Molasses
                      Autoflowers

Comment

Yes I agree better to let finish and get a loupe

Comment

I guess I'm thinking now that those swollen calyxes are a normal part of the growth cycle, and, depending on the trichomes, might happen either before or after the optimum harvest time. So I'm not going to worry about it and just go on using the usual clues, like the trichomes, to decide when to pull her. I read that Nebula Haze article and I think I'll invest $6.27 on the pocket microscope he (she?) likes so I can see those trichomes better. I've got a pretty good magnifying glass with a higher power little window, but I have trouble evaluating the trichomes for clear-cloudy-whiteness..

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                            9fingerleafs commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Get a 10 dollar "USB 500x microscope" from eBay or amazon. They work awesome

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X