curing in larger containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

curing in larger containers

Bout to harvest my girls , cured last time in quart jars never did before amazing results. So my question has anyone cured in larger like half gallon or gallon jars. Only had 18 jars last time so no big deal but I'm thinking 50 plus this time. I know first world problems . Thnx to everyone here .

I haven't had the pleasure to harvest that much at a time but I've seen breeders on YouTube that uses either turkey bags (teflon) or food grade buckets. The bags are the most common choice but I think buckets protect the bud just like a jar

Comment

• redbeard
      redbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Hadn't heard or thought about turkey bag . Saw a show that had a a big grow they were using buckets. I've got half and one gallon glass jars that I use for canning vegetables. Was thinking about using them wasn't sure if the larger volume would need to be open longer to burp . Or if it would be same process as quart.

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      Curing takes a lot of trial and error to get right and my guess is using a bigger container will not pose a bigger challenge than already is

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I personally would not want to use too large of a container for curing, because the bigger the container, the more chance for wet spots to form in the interior. In this case, I think smaller is better: when you open a quart jar that's loosely filled, air is going to circulate everywhere.

redbeard You simply have too much weed to cure on your own; bring some to me, I have lots of extra jars and I'll be glad to help out.

I thought I remembered reading not to use to large of jars. I was able to locate it shockling lol http://www.growweedeasy.com/drying-c...e-buds-in-jars

Im a week out from forst harvest so i had just done a review.

Comment

Howdy redbeard, The only thing that I may add is this, I use the small 8 oz. jars to cure in because IF any mold starts up (for what ever reason), I only loose a small amount of bud ( the 8 oz. jar holds only around 6 to 8 grams, depending on the density of the bud). If You "put all of Your eggs in one basket" then one stands to loose it all from one bad event. Just my $0.02 worth.
      Good luck with Your growing.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought the refrigerator was a NO NO. Nebula says you risk mold: http://www.growweedeasy.com/how-to-s...t-stays-potent

3.) Refrigerate Your Buds (Avoid!)

Buds stored in the fridge tend to mold, even in air-tight containers. Either keep buds outside the fridge or put them in the freezer! If you must use the fridge, it's especially important to make sure buds are completely dry to avoid mold, and keep them in the back in a crisper where the temperature and humidity don't fluctuate as much. But again, if possible you should avoid using your refrigerator to store buds just in case; a regular cabinet or drawer is usually better!

4.) Plastic Baggies (Avoid!)

Although this is the most common way for non-growers to store cannabis, it's one of the worst. Buds lose their smell and tend to get dried out and brittle in plastic baggies. The potency degrades quickly, and the lack of protection means that handling the buds tends to crumble them. Plastic baggies should only be used short term, or avoided altogether. If you need to store a small amount of bud, it's recommended to get a UV-proof glass stash box (will also prevent smells from leaking out!). As a bonus, a small glass container can help buds continue curing.

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        alltatup, The refrigerator retards the growth of mold. Why else does one put food in it? I dry my bud, put it in the jars, and keep it in the fridge to cure. The only bud that I have lost to mold was when I let it cure in a dark closet. At room temperatures all sorts of mold and fungi thrive. I do agree completely about the plastic (most of them), it is not the best thing to store in.

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        DW, I'ma stick with what the Nebstress says. I have food that goes moldy in the fridge, like my veggies that are stored for too long. I think it's too humid. So I'm going to do an experiment and put a hygrometer in the fridge to see what the RH is.

But there are so many factors involved. In my house, the coolest part is the closet in my bedroom. It's idea for storing and curing weed. The temp stays down and so does the humidity. You had problems in your closet: the temp was probably higher, and maybe the humidity in that room as well. Each one of us has to work with our own environment: too many differentials involved for everyone to try and do the exact same drill...

So sounds like quarts are my size. Appreciate everyone's help , the gwe community are all owed a nug cause my first inside grow was pitiful. I read nebula's curing tutorial again last night. Alltatup can there ever really be to much weed.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        In your case, YES!!! It's you I'm worried about, you'll be overwhelmed, drowning in quart mason jars, so I'm willing to help a brotha out by taking some of the wretched excess off your hands!!! ;-}

• StoneyTony
        StoneyTony commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL, I'm always willing to lend a hand too...... you know to help.

• GanjaGed
        GanjaGed commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll help too, FOR SCIENCE!

U are the sweetest. U must be a southern belle. All jokes aside curing is the most stressful part for me so I guess I need the practice. Maybe should be another thread, but anyways planning on making a lot into oil but think I'll cure it aswell. Thanks again

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        A southern bell who is all tatted up? I don't think so... More like a pothead biker chick outlaw (without the bike)...
        Ok, no more jokes: I can tell you ain't sharin the goodies. ;-}

And because it's stressful, all the more reason to use smaller jars. Plus, I bought the hygrometers that Nebula recommends (after wasting around $50-75 trying cheaper ones that all read differently: http://amzn.to/1S6Wazp This one is great. If you look on the page link at the end of this message, you'll see that Nebula doesn't put one in EVERY jar.

And I recommend the Boveda 62 packs, which I also love. When you get the first month of burping and curing out of the way, and you're down to around 60% RH, you can throw one in each jar. I use the 8 gram size in a quart jar: https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-62-Per...veda%2B62&th=1

I've read this page about 15 times, and I still go back to it to keep all the numbers and steps straight. Your bud's gonna be awesome!!!
        This tutorial teaches you the best way to dry and cure cannabis buds after harvest, which greatly increases bud quality. Quality drying/curing ensures the best smelling, most dense and highest potency marijuana buds!

Outlaw biker chick is what I meant by southern belle. Lost in translation. Ya I got several hygrometers don't have the packs but I'll get some for sure . Thnx

Comment

🌱 When I used glass containers that were bigger than quart size, I got mold. But it was also the first time I tried curing in jars, and probably it wasn't dried enough, and I should have burped more. I use a quart size glass jar now, about 80% full, with a Boveda pack right from the beginning. Some people wait to add the packs until it's been curing for a week or two, but it's very dry where I live sometimes, and I need help maintaining the moisture from the beginning. I always get a perfect cure if I add a pack from the beginning. At the dispensary, I've seen them store buds in those big plastic containers from Walmart, but the bud tender told me that they only do that because they don't know what else to use that's cheap, and all the trichomes/hash sticks to the plastic static-y edges, and the buds take on a plastic-y smell after a while. He told me that glass or metal is best, and it has to be airtight 🌱
        (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Poof!

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          F....kin cannacapitalism: let's maximize our profits by cutting down on storage quality. Them potheads won't really know the difference...

That's what I wrote above to DW2: there are too many variables in each person's environment and level of skill with drying and curing, so each of us gots to work it out for his or her own self.

I think Sterlite containers are very popular based on how dispensary weed smells.
        SSD

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Cheapest on the market...

alltatup is correct that everyone's situation is different and has varying challenges. My area is a semi-arid (we are having a wet spell now) and the R/H is usually low. My house has a very low pitched roof without any attic (lots of insulation though) and the closets get very warm as they do not get any real circulation for the A/C. The closets where I have cured in before, backs up to the heater closet (water heater and A/C unit) and the other backs up to the bathroom. The fridge is the only dark cool place that I have left to use. The humidity in the fridge should not be of concern because the jars are sealed and I remove them from the fridge to 'burp' them and there fore, they are only exposed to the R/H in the house (usually around 25-35%).
        I greatly appreciate Nebula's and everyone else's input and information from their experiences growing and use what best works in my situation.
        Thanks to all and good luck with Y'all's grows!
        Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear ya DW, and you're right about our different challenges and about the jars being sealed; if one has properly dried and burps regularly, it should work. What I wonder about is the 40 degree temp inside the fridge: does it take you longer to cure? Can you please describe how it goes?

• DW2
          DW2 commented
          Editing a comment
          alltatup I can not say that it takes longer, although reason would make that assumption because the chemical reactions (as most chemical reactions) vary with the temperature, so one would think that it does take longer. This is my problem, I had not flushed before harvest before (I know, stupid! right?) and the grows before I started to flush took more than two months to start to mellow out! The last grow, which was flushed prior to harvesting, was becoming smooth in only three weeks. All cured in jars, in the refrigerator.
          I dry the bud until the sugar leaves are slightly 'crispy' but the bud still has a little 'spring' to it. Around here it is dry enough that I have never gone for more than four days of drying. I do use the small 8 oz. jars instead of quart size because IF any mold starts, I will not loose a large amount (the 8 oz. jar holds approximately 6 to 8 grams of loose bud). I burp them twice a day for the first two weeks then only once a day for a couple of weeks more. This harvest was on 3/10 and then 3/21 of this year and now, I only check them once a week. It's strange though, them seem to be evaporating!!! LOL
          Last edited by DW2; 07-02-2017, 10:57 AM. Reason: correct spelling and add tag

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          ok guys read the discussion and I think we need to have a smoke off ,weed cured in jars, weed cured in fridge , and weed cures in flip top plastic storage containers. I found some flip top jars at walmart they are about a gallon size and they seem to work great . the smoke is smooth and fragrant

Hi gwe my ladies are all Jared up I used quarts for most . But i had these two big glass flip top jars and some long colas so I tried em. Bout 5 days in all good so far.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X