pH question for hydro growers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pH question for hydro growers

Fellow hydro growers...I have kind of a weird situation with pH. I have a plant that is in apx 1.5 weeks of flowering with a pH at 5.45ish. This was the pH reading with a fresh water/nutrient change (AN nutrients). The pH does not fluctuate in a 24 hr period and slowly rise (gets more basic) in 48-72 hrs. My other plant is 4 weeks from seed and vegging. The pH was 5.45ish with a fresh water/nutrient change and goes up to 6.3ish - never above 6.5. - within a 24 hr period. The strains are the same (WW autofem). I'm working with AN on solving some problems (they have been very responsive) and they said the non-fluctuating pH was particularly concerning. any thoughts?

I pose these questions to you:

*at what pH do you set your pH?
    *what is the timeframe when your pH changes?

Thanks to all!

Deez, My pH fluctuates more at some times than at others. I aways aim to keep it between 5.6 and 6.4. I check every morning. I have no idea why it fluctuates the way it does, but all I do is check religiously and stick within my perameters.

I let it fluctuate because I know that the roots will absorb different stuff better at different pH levels, so if it's 6.0 one morning, I let it go. I mean I don't always bring it right back down to 5.6.

Another thing: the water where I live is nice and soft, and is usually in pH range right out of the tap. So I don't have to bring the water up or down from some extreme acid or alkaline baseline.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Jason
      Jason commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. In my little Water Farms pH can go from 5ish to over 6 in three hours. The air stone contributes as 02 raises pH. Or pH can hold pretty steady for days, with pH balanced water added. I'm in Week 8 of the GH schedule and have to add a half gallon in the morning and half gallon before lights out. Consuming a gallon a day in a two gallon container is drinking some liquids. I check ;pH morning, noon and late afternoon.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow!!! Thirsty girls!! That's good!

Just my experience but if the plant is healthy the roots are clean are you using full strength nutrients. My experience has been half strength nutrients pH fluctuates wildly, the more nutrients ie full strength tends to fluctuate a little less just my two cents overpaid at that.

Comment

Howdy deezplantz, My tap water is on the 'mineral enhanced' side (hard water) and comes out of the tap at a pH of 6.75 to 7.25. I adjust it to 6.0 pH (or right around that), add the nutrients (which generally brings it down to 4.5 pH), and use some pH up to bring it back to the 6.0 range. I had one ask why I adjusted the water before mixing and I did not have an answer for that. I tried mixing directly in the 'straight' tap water and found that not all of the micro nutrients (I use the GH dry MAXI series of nutes) dissolved completely.
      As others have already said, the pH will fluctuate as the plants take up the nutrients from the water. By the end of the week, the water in my reservoirs will rise to around 6.75 to 7.25 pH as the nutrients are used up.
      Good luck with Your grow.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

I try and check my ph every other day. I try keeping my ph right around 6.0 which is right in the mid-range between 5.5 and 6.5. That way you have a little cushion on both sides. Good luck! ColaDog

Comment

Originally posted by DW2 View Post
          Howdy deezplantz, My tap water is on the 'mineral enhanced' side (hard water) and comes out of the tap at a pH of 6.75 to 7.25. I adjust it to 6.0 pH (or right around that), add the nutrients (which generally brings it down to 4.5 pH), and use some pH up to bring it back to the 6.0 range. I had one ask why I adjusted the water before mixing and I did not have an answer for that. I tried mixing directly in the 'straight' tap water and found that not all of the micro nutrients (I use the GH dry MAXI series of nutes) dissolved completely.
          As others have already said, the pH will fluctuate as the plants take up the nutrients from the water. By the end of the week, the water in my reservoirs will rise to around 6.75 to 7.25 pH as the nutrients are used up.
          Good luck with Your grow.
          Thx! Great info from all you guys/gals!

Comment

When I change out my fluids my old stuff after 7 days in a rdwc system is 5.8 5.7 I start out at 6.0 6.1 I do add 10 liters at the 4 day mark tho to top up the system.
            It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X