Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who don't know about terpenes (smell/effects). New growers mainly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who don't know about terpenes (smell/effects). New growers mainly.

Hi all, (this is mainly for newb like me i'd say...)

intergalactic_harvester showed me a very interesting "product", a fellow decided to create some help for those who don't know how to identify weed properly. I'm not here to do publicity, you can try to type "interpening" on google, by TrichomesInstitute. He's got class and small cardboard that helps to identify the type of weed you have in your hand, by looking at it, smelling it. Internet calls this a sommelier of weed.

Anyway, its very nice but a bit costly and such. I don't have access to it being abroad. So I decided to interest myself in terpenes, learn by myself without taking a class.
    So I found a webpage, (more than one actually), on leafly about terpenes. I found it very interesting, and I wanted to share it with others who do not know yet about terpenes! Those who have harvested more than once, different plants, will not really find it interesting except for the sheer curiosity.
    Here's the link : https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis...s-aromatherapy

Basically, if your weed smell citrusy for instance, you can tell it has more of this terpene, and so it SHOULD affect you more in that way rather than another. Its all so very complicated and it depends on the plant and other terpenes present in the plant! But it was very nice for me, I can tell now that I'm looking for this kind of smell rather than another, I can "imagine" what to expect.

And here's another link with 11 terpenes and their effects : http://maryjanesdiary.com/terpenes/

Did you find that helpful? Those who know already about this have anything to add to help us noob understand it better?

Sorry if this kind of post already existed. Today not feeling well, very lazy to do some things (like researching if this post was already created somewhere) and also have time to kill on my hands (have to stay "in bed")
    Inexperienced outdoor grower, near Switzerland. I have some theoretical knowledge and only a little bit of practice, hence take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I believe everyone has his own growing way.

Thanks for sharing this info! Terpenes can make a great contribution to the medical benefits of cannabis, in addition to the cannabinoid content. I'm learning now how to prepare extracts that maintain the terpenes (which are lost in many types of extractions). Basically it involves keeping the extraction temps below 150F. Eventually I'll be trying this on my upcoming summertime harvests. Hope you're feeling perkier soon! 😊
    Current grows...http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ime-collection
    Recent grows...
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...n-og-haze-auto
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ss-cheese-auto
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...-2-we-love-you

Comment

rockman
      Hey, thanks for the reply. I felt better eventually (4 hours), after heavy medication Migraines can be almost deadly at times... Or feel like it at least.

What you say is very interesting, indeed. I want to make cannacap to reduce the smoking (Funny, but bad for health!), this year only (first harvest). I'm very very interested in this process, using oil (extract?) in capsules to ingest it and feel better (me for anxiety during day, insomnia during night, and maybe muscle relaxant/anti inflammation at any time). I feel this solution is the best for me, so if I can improve the process, or get even more details than what's on GWE, I will take it gladly! I wasn't even aware terpenes were lost in this process! You would need a slow cooker that cooks at under 150°F (65°C)? For how long?

Please, please, send me a private message or tag me in the post you will make when you will have done it. I can read only so much online, its important to have someone who have already done such things in front of me, to ask questions and other things. I'm interested in any form of this plant, to see if it better suits my need. (I even heard a topical balm is possible... For body pain? Would it work on muscles that are tensed? Does it work on the upper layer only or the whole muscle layer? etc)

I wrote that in a comment to your reply, but it seems way too long lol.
      Inexperienced outdoor grower, near Switzerland. I have some theoretical knowledge and only a little bit of practice, hence take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I believe everyone has his own growing way.

Comment

• Minoo96
        Minoo96 commented
        Editing a comment
        I understand better, you combine both the decarb oil and the terpenes saved oil, that gives you high AND taste/terpenes. Saving terpenes for use with capsules, is it really worthy? As in wouldn't it be better to use that oil to eat it on bread for instance, for the taste... Rather than swallow it whole with capsules. Sure it gives a special high, it adds to it. But isn't it mainly for taste/smell? I'm not sure, total noob I am.
        Thanks for replying

• rockman
        rockman commented
        Editing a comment
        Minoo, I personally love the taste of my oil extractions, and wouldn't even consider putting it in capsules. To me, cannabis has a lovely green and earthy flavor, which can vary slightly depending on the terpenes that remain in the extract. I've added it often to foods.

• Minoo96
        Minoo96 commented
        Editing a comment
        As I thought thanks

Great post, thanks!

One of my goals is making blends of flowers and different harvest times to create profiles suited to me.
      The Great and Secret Garden Indoor-Hydro-LED-Perpetual

The Ganja Ged Thread
      Water Curing Experiment
      My E&F System

If you get confused, listen to the music play!

Comment

• GanjaGed
        GanjaGed commented
        Editing a comment
        If I was a business I'd "grind to order" right there in front of the customer.

Bud will stay fresher longer than ground. Easy to customize a profile on demand if you already have batches tested, 5% of this, 30% of that, etc. It's a great marketing tool, Watch as we blend medicine made just for you... Remember the old pizza shops where they used to let you watch the guys do the dough. Hell it would be funny to do it Waffle House style calling out the Blend like "3 grams Grand Sensi Urkle 60/30/10!" or something

• Minoo96
        Minoo96 commented
        Editing a comment
        The way you make it sound, its like the futur of medicinal marijuana. As in to me, it sounds like that. When research will be fully developped, when we will know exactly what does what, then the doctor should study it, and could prescribe a mix of this with that. He's supposedly a scientist, so he should know what he's talking about. And the budtender in a pharmacy, same. That sounds like the futur of medical marijuana. And of course you could still ask for the same thing, but in a less medicinal manner, make your own test, ask for more of this and that. If you're that kind of fellow.

• oldjarhead100
        oldjarhead100 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think thats a great idea ganja and it shouldn't be a problem for disp. The disp. that I have been too could do this and they sell what you want so freshness isn't a problem

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X