The offical 2016 solo cup challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The offical 2016 solo cup challenge

Dear friends and fellow growers,, a few weeks ago my student and I decided to have a grow off, consisting of one seed of the same strain,, germinated and placed into a solo cup, and after 30 days, see who has the better looking plant. At that point we will transplant them into a 1 gal pot, grow in that pot for another 30 days and put them into 12/12 at that time. After that it will be up to each competitor to harvest at the point they think they have the best buds. Weigh them at harvest, wet,, no stems,just buds, cure them for a few weeks and smoke them to determine who grow the best weed. We can if we agree, make changes to the plane as we go along.
    Here mine at 15 days. Oh this is an indoor grow only. We both have the same tent and light.
    A man believes what a man desires to be true.

OMG........that plant needs to get out of that solo cup now!!!!! And why only 1 gal pot. seems kind of small.

I do like the idea of the contest though.

Comment

• Gordo41
      Gordo41 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well the whole idea is to limit the size of the pot to see who does better under those circumstances. Its a growing challenge.
      Anyone can grow in a 5 gal pot,, but to grow in a cup is much more difficult.

• Green75
      Green75 commented
      Editing a comment
      My whole garden is in one and a half gallon death pots.
      Started out there and will die there....mine seem to be doing okay I'd say.....

• bobsakamoto
      bobsakamoto commented
      Editing a comment
      i like this so much....scribd

hey insom, did you just crawl out of my head? I was just getting ready to type the exact same words. Except for the contest idea. Weird.

Comment

king, we are kindred spirits. Great minds think a like. We are both extremely experienced growers. Ok, two out of three ain't bad.

Comment

Same thoughts Plus I think it is neglecting the plant..that healthy should be in 5 gal a bit ago. I skip the middle transplants..after steady they go to their forever home.
        Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
        Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
        GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
        photoperiod feminized seeds
        http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
        http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
        http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

• Tika
          Tika commented
          Editing a comment
          me and my rolling pin again...and yes " I can drive a stick"

Indoor- Coco coir & Perlite - 5 gal Smart pots
        Veg-T5s Flower- Platinum LEDS
        GH Flora Trio Cali-mag, Terpinator Liquid Bloom
        photoperiod feminized seeds
        http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-journal.pdf
        http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...o-May-2017.pdf
        http://www.growweedeasy.com/sites/gr...ow-Journal.pdf

Testing for the_honeysticks genetics

Comment

Ok Gordo, I get that you wanted to make it challenging. Just breaks my heart to see such a beautiful healthy plant suffer.

Have you fun, I will not hold it against you.

Comment

Neat idea. You should have put them in clear solo cups and put a colored one over that so you can see the roots binding. Would have been interesting to see the plant progress through it rootbound torture.

Comment

• Gordo41
              Gordo41 commented
              Editing a comment
              What a great idea. I can still do that at this point.

• bobsakamoto
              bobsakamoto commented
              Editing a comment
              ...yes!

You are both sickos. LOL

Comment

You think im sick,, check out this guy.

A man believes what a man desires to be true.

Comment

• Gordo41
                Gordo41 commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol. But interesting.

• johnnie mojo
                johnnie mojo commented
                Editing a comment
                I would love to learn how you or what you did to make your plant look like that.

• Gordo41
                Gordo41 commented
                Editing a comment
                Those are not my plant. Just a pic i found on pinterest.

Ok, one nice big bud per cup. Interesting concept. They do look healthy.

Comment

Let's do it the lazy man's way. Take your seedlings and put them in a 3" peat pot. Then when you see the little roots start to poke out, burry the whole peat pot in you regular big pot. No shock to the babies.

Comment

Originally posted by kingfish View Post
                  Let's do it the lazy man's way. Take your seedlings and put them in a 3" peat pot. Then when you see the little roots start to poke out, burry the whole peat pot in you regular big pot. No shock to the babies.
                  King, I am considering peat pots instead of solo cups next grow. I was skeptical that the roots can break through the peat and/or the peat starts to decay fast enough. I assume since you do this, it is a good method.

Comment

• Gordo41
                    Gordo41 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Actually why not just put the seed in the 3-5 gal pot to start with and be done with it.

• Green75
                    Green75 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bamm Gordo hit the nail right on the head!!!

• ZigZag
                    ZigZag commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thats how I start them too_didn't know it was "the lazy mans way"...haha.
                    The only thing I did different was to cut down the sides of the peat so it opened out...like with 4 wings.
                    Worked well. But I haven't tried just planting the peat pot.

Gordo, in a big pot it is easy to over water. With a peat pot you just water what's in the peat pot.

Comment

• Gordo41
                    Gordo41 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I understand its easier to water a cup than a big pot, but there are lots of growers that start the plant in a big pot, i dont see where you could over water it. If you're in coco and a cloth pot it's almost impossible to over water a plant.

Thanks. Gordo, some people do that. You just have to water with a careful eye and hand. Plus the water will run deeper into soil than roots, so you have to water a little bit but more often. It can be done.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X