What exactly happening in jars ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly happening in jars ?

i am quite curious about everything. My buds has been drying for 3 days and it seems like 2-3 more needed.

So if someone could elaborate what is happening "chemically" to buds while drying and after that curing ?

Yo,
    I cannot find the webpages I found before, so i'll try to remember but take this with a grain of salt.
    During drying, obvious things happens. Those you know so i'll skip it. Moisture is drawn out and it become smokable (ever smoked wet tobacco? If so you know what I mean)
    During curing though, its a bit more complicated, more interesting i'd say.

First you put many buds in the jar because some are different sizes, so different level of drying occurs. Keeping them in a sealed jar keep the drying process going on, but the moisture being trapped is redistributed to the drier buds for a more "even" drying. The outter layer of the buds are dry, but moisture is still present in the stems and so works its way out slowly. That gives some effect of oxydizing (like when they turn amber) except its not turning amber, more like refining it. The plant is still somewhat alive, it converts the nutes and salt buildup into something smokable (that's also during drying... especially if you cut down the whole plant and let it dry like that, whole).

The science isn't exact, its very precise already but not exact. We don't understand properly the effect of marijuana on the body yet (once again, very precise but not exact). Research are coming out slowly now. Picture it like cigar curing, wine curing, cheese curing (maybe a bit too much this example haha cause its bacterias).
    Inexperienced outdoor grower, near Switzerland. I have some theoretical knowledge and only a little bit of practice, hence take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I believe everyone has his own growing way.

Comment

Here's some more infos:
      "Cannabis plants produce tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) and other cannabinoids through a process called biosynthesis, in which certain compounds are gradually converted into new blends. For example, THCA becomes the main psychoactive compound in cannabis, THC.

This process doesn’t completely stop the second you cut down your plant; if you keep freshly harvested cannabis in temperatures between 60 and 70°F and humidity level between 45-55%, the conversion of non-psychoactive cannabinoids to THCA will continue and your buds will gain potency. Quick drying under warm, dry conditions halts this process much faster.

Many of the aromatic compounds (terpenes) that give cannabis its unique smell and flavor are quite volatile, and can degrade and evaporate at temperatures as low as 70°F. A slow cure at low temperatures will preserve these terpenes better than a quick, hot cannabis drying process.

These conditions also create an optimal environment for enzymes and aerobic bacteria to break down leftover minerals and the undesirable sugars produced by the decomposition of chlorophyll during the drying process. The presence of these sugars and leftover minerals is what causes the harsh, throat-burning sensation you get from smoking improperly cured cannabis."

(source : https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis...uring-cannabis)
      Inexperienced outdoor grower, near Switzerland. I have some theoretical knowledge and only a little bit of practice, hence take what I say with a grain of salt. Also I believe everyone has his own growing way.

Comment

• Minoo96
        Minoo96 commented
        Editing a comment
        "...the conversion of non-psychoactive cannabinoids to THCA..." shouldn't it be THC? Maybe a typo.

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        That last paragraph is the right answer

• DrPhoton
        DrPhoton commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats right it should be THC.

Drying is very simply the removal of water molecules through passive diffusion. With lower relative humidity, water will naturally move to a area with less concentration. If humidity is too high, the diffusive action is slowed down or prevented entirely due to the balance of attraction.
      The obvious reason for drying is because, wet dank dont burn well. When we incinerate cannabis, we perform a chemical process of removing water molecules from their acidic compounds (decarboxylation). This allows THC and other acidic molecules to turn into its physcoactive properties. Without this process, cannabis would not have a physiological effect. This is why heating is required on edibles before consumption.
      As for the methods of how we dry, this is for different reasons. If expectations were for only removing moisture, a simple microwave dry would do. However, our traditional slow dry technique helps for other aspects.
      Several chemicals are left in the plants flowers and leaf matter. These chemicals can present a harsher or distasteful smoke. Drying slowly, allows natural metabolic processes to continue utilizing and removing these chemicals. For example, chrolophyll has a lot of magnesium, bacteria if allowed, breaks down these chemicals allowing for a more even burn and smoother smoke.
      Another reason for a slow dry, is that it creates a better moisture uniformity which has a more predictable and relatively easier burn factor. Allowing for better control of the smoke process.

Curing is the same method compared to traditonal drying except that the process is extended over a much longer time. With it comes additional benefits. Curing allows further break down of chemicals and better moisture concentration which allows the ability to store produce over much longer periods compared to typical storage practices. There is also the potential for higher potency from the extended drying, how this process functions however is unclear. Although its said that decarboxylation is the reason, this process happens anyway during incineration, which makes no difference how much was decarbed prior to this process. However i personally believe the water concentration and uniformity is the reason for the perceived differences, allowing for a more predictable and controllable burn during inhalation. For the same reasons wet dank is not that potent, even when burned. Because it is more difficult to light and reduces the efficiency of the chemical transfer process.

Hope that helps
      Written Articles:
      Light Metric Systems
      Using Light Efficiently
      The Light Cycle Debate
      Environment Conditions
      Grow Light Technologies
      How To Compare Grow Lights
      To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
      Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
      Facebook
      Twitter
      Instagram

Comment

• Minoo96
        Minoo96 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dude, i'm starting to feel you as a kindred spirit. Nice reply

• DrPhoton
        DrPhoton commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha, yea looks like it. I could have elaborated more but its getting late. Your earlier post details more about the metabolic processes involved with drying.

• Minoo96
        Minoo96 commented
        Editing a comment
        With both our posts, I think we covered most of it xP

Holy shit i am enlightened. This forum is filled up with pot geniuses.

Comment

• Minoo96
        Minoo96 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you but I consider myself a normal fellow, just like you, I asked the same question. I'm curious as well. I use it as medicine also, so I took a particular interest, like everyone else who use it that way I think or just curious people! We should thank all the people before us who wondered the same thing and answered it, shared their knowledge

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X