No announcement yet.

leaves turning colors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So basically the red lines are the appropriate places? The base of the 5+ fan leaves but not too close to the bud sites?

Comment

Yes sir, that would be a very acceptable spot to cut in my tent. Take just the fan leaves and if you're having any doubts about it cut nothing just like 9' said you can safely take fans till the third week of flower so you have a little time.
      You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• Randy2310
        Randy2310 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm using an autoflower seed so I'm hoping I realize when that transition takes place. I need to go back and re-read GWE about using a light schedule during flower if it's auto

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey randy,
        I hate to be the bearer of good news but your plant is already flowering I've attached a picture of your pistils ( these will grow into beautiful buds) the little white hairs. I would said you have been a daddy for about 3 to 10 days.
        What is your present light schedule? the reason I ask is with Autos you don't need to change your light schedule.

You have The Idea On how To prune those five leaves in your picture you showed, 9 fingers said it best if you are uncomfortable absolutely nothing will happen if you don't trim, my best advice to you is to remember you can sleep on it, read up a little more and trim tomorrow, or not!
        It is hard to make the decision to trim leaves especially when you don't know the outcome. I Can Only Imagine after recovering to such a nice plant it can make that much harder. Pruning of leaves should be done with confidence 4 increased light and air flow to the middle of your plant allowing your bud sites to grow bigger not your leave. it is a tricky subject for a new grower so if you don't feel like cutting remember you now how the knowledge for your next one.
        My point being you don't have to cut anything it will do its thing, now you know where to cut if you decide too.

Congratulations

Comment

• Randy2310
        Randy2310 commented
        Editing a comment
        OH! I knew pistils were good and that's what they were. I just didn't realize that meant flowering began! Thank you.

I was considering pruning because it seems like the intake fan is now blowing the bottom of the plant because of it's height and she's about touching the sides of the bucket. I'll take a look at it tomorrow night and make a decision

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        You sir are at the start of grow some buds.
        Definitely reread on GWE I must have done it a hundred times my first grow and still do.

Did finally do some trimming. Nothing crazy or intense. I waited until today since I watered yesterday. There may still be 1-2 very small bud sites at the very bottom but they seemed kind of under developed and I didn't want to overly prune her and upset things.

Comment

Congratulations Randy,
        you've now taking a step into a bigger world! in time you will start finding it easier to make a decision on what and when pruning or trimming is needed and most importantly how it affects your plant. Finishing a Grow makes one look back and go, oh got it that's what I could or shouldn't have done. Your plant looks good you did a good job, remember to let your plant recover a couple of days before clipping anything else if you decide too.
        Now if you don't mind I'd like to ask how close the top of the plant is to your lights? What is your high and low temperature? And how much water do you give them? How often do you give them water? And like 9fingers asked, anymore transplanting ?
        the reason Im asking is your top plant leafs look like they are CLAWING ( curling down on the tips).
        once again super job trimming/pruning.

Comment

• Randy2310
          Randy2310 commented
          Editing a comment
          I made sure I didn't overdo it. Just open up some light access to the bud sites. I won't trim again for another week.

-She is getting close to the lights again. I need another white bucket from home depot to make another spacer. It's like she just surged in height the last 2-3 days.

-Temps consistently between 71-75 degrees F. I have a fan circulating the air within that utility room as well and a de-humidifier working as well. The washer/dryer is in there but the humidity is both the room and bucket has been consistent between 50-55%

-My last 3 waterings were yesterday, Thursday, sunday. Seems to be 4 days on average. I don't recall the time before that, but when I had transported to the bucket I made a point to stop the smaller daily waterings and waited for dry soil. Each time I've watered I made sure it was dry going down to my knuckle. Usually once I notice the top of the soil is dry I gently rotate what I can to bring the moist soil up/mix with the dry.

-The amount of water is usually 2 of the 24oz Poland Spring sports bottles (the sport squirt top makes it easier to control the flow). I make sure the soil is totally wet (1 bottle isn't enough half the soil is still dry) and that it's coming out the drain holes all around.

-No more transplanting. The bucket was constructed for this. I'd have to remove a set of storage shelving in there to do a grow box/tent. One of my 1st failed grow attempts was putting the seedling directly into the bucket. It was too premature, although I've learned a few lessons. Watering properly and/or soil conditions might have helped it begin. I could have mixed some of the potting soil with the FFOF to start it off.

Thank you for the continual input!

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome job sounds like you are doing everything right. That shoot up in growth is called the flowering stretch sometimes a plant can double even triple in size in just a few weeks so you're definitely going to want to be prepared to add more spacers. Maybe look into low-stress training to bend you top over. I don't know anything about it in bucket grows but I use it a lot in my tent
          As far as future trims go lower fan leaves, ones with burnt tips, or just the burnt tip, and once again anything making a shadows for buds site. In about two to three weeks your buds will be developed, your stretch will slow down and you will want to stop cutting leafs because it will not grow anymore leaves just fattening up buds. Your plant's will need some at the end of the grow. Best advice being your first grow and the rocky started. Be light handed with a scissors.
          Keep us posted
          Until we met again.....

It's 2 days after watering, and the top of the dirt was dry, so I went to do the usual gentle stir up, and the dirt below was a bit dryer than usual. Do they drink more during the flowering stage?

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes....

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          My current grow
          5 gal pot in veg= 1-2 gals ever 4-5 day, 7th week flowing= 2-3 gals ever 2-3 day. Just keep check the soil moisture like you have Been.

I added a spacer to the bucket to move the lights up. Regardless, she needs a trim again...

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure is looking good, has really grown in a week, bet you were surprised about how much/fast she filled back in. Lite hand on the trim, a couple leafs today a couple tomarrow remove big leafs, let her rest and repeat. ones that are crowded and stacked on top of each other should be your target.
          Looks like your getting the hang of it and thanks for the update

She just got a trim and a watering on Sat! Temps constant between 70-75F and humidity between 50-54%. Running a fan and dehumidifier in the laundry room constant.

Soil drying out every 2-3 days and it's like a 3rd trim is needed! I trimmed more fan leaves the 2nd time. I don't want to trim too many but maybe I'm not trimming enough?

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Randy2310, she is gorgeous! Your doing great.

• Randy2310
          Randy2310 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you guys. I feel like they're more brown than purple. I'm nervous they're not growing full buds yet but I'm not good at timeline.

I think tomorrow she's getting a final trim and I'm going to do a lil extra. Might need to water her again already

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Stellar pictures, nice and clear.

Another trim, watering every 3rd day as it's drying up faster. I've noticed a lil this and that... 1-2 tips at the top of the plant seemed brown and burnt. Also 1-2 discolored leaves. This is all happening at the top. The bucket has 2 spacers and then the light top. It seems like she grew the entire space of the extra spacer from last week. Do I need to cut up a 5th bucket!?

Also it seemed like humidity down temperature up slightly the other day. Temp is 75 degrees now.

I'm just a fretting parent most likely...

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Randy,
          Just to double check your keeping your ph in check?
          Have you been giving any nutrients?
          It does look like a touch of heat/light stress but a root problem can also "taco" and look like light burn. I couldn't find what light you are using is it Cfl? Are your plant's touching them?

• Randy2310
          Randy2310 commented
          Editing a comment
          Haven't checked the pH as it's been bottled water (Poland Spring which is 6.3 if you google it)
          no added nuts, just what's in the soil (FF ocean forest)
          not touching the lights, it was getting close a week or so ago and I cut another bucket and added a spacer to raise the lights

🌱 The burnt tip just looks like a touch of nutrient burn, which isn't too big a deal. I did notice a few leaves on the top are curly and twisting. That can sometimes be a sign of root problems/overwatering, or it may be a sign the light is too close and stressing the leaves. Even if the temperature is okay, the plants can sill get light burn. Besides that small thing, your buds and plant look great! 🌱
        Last edited by berrypilot; 07-07-2017, 09:46 PM.
        (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Poof!

Comment

• Randy2310
          Randy2310 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think I've been over watering, I check the soil and it's always dry. I usually stick my fingers down pretty deep to see if it's still moist although I do do that near the outer rim of the bucket. Perhaps I could leave it dry the extra day to be safe.
          I don't add any nutrients, it's whatever is in the FF ocean forest
          I moved the light up with a spacer about a week ago. It's bucket, spacer, spacer, light top (which is the spacer/lid of a bucket).

• berrypilot
          berrypilot commented
          Editing a comment
          🌱Have you been checking the Ph of the water after adding nutrients and ph of runoff water? The ph being too high or low is the most common reason to see deficiencies. If you don't think you're overwatering I'm not sure you should water less unless your instincts tell you to. You know your plant better than anyone! 🌱

• Randy2310
          Randy2310 commented
          Editing a comment
          Haven't been checking the pH of the bottled water. I don't add any nutrients. I use Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil. Whatever is in there is in there.

Starting to panic a lil...
        Going to make sure I space the next watering out for sure...

Comment

Got a pH tester from the aquarium section of Pet Smart. I tested the run off water 2x and it looks to be about 6.6. Then tested from a new bottle of Poland Spring from the same case I've been watering from. Also 6.6. So 6.6 going in, 6.6 running out. Then just to make sure it wasn't the liquid drops being wonky I tested my tap water. Looks to be 7.6. Still a bunch of burnt tips and random discoloration as before. Not sure where to go from here...

Comment

🌱 Some soil growers on here have stated they've had better luck in the 6-6.5 pH range. I've been doing that with my soil plants (growing outside for the first time this year) and it seems to be working for me at least. Maybe try adjusting the pH so it's just a little lower before giving it to your plants? But I think your plant looks good overall! 🌱

Comment

• Randy2310
            Randy2310 commented
            Editing a comment
            as a whole the plant is good. It's the trouble spots forming. A few leaves at the top yellowing, some tips burning/curling. I could try lowering the pH of the next watering. The soil is like 80% dry going to wait another day

Unfortunately I forgot to order the General Hydroponics pH down, and there's no where local to me to shop (the closest hydroponic store is 40 miles away)
          I ended up using a pH down from the local Petco. I know you're not realllllly supposed to but my plant was dry and sad, and it was only like 2-3 drops total. I made do for $3.

I think there's some improvement. I realize there's a few really bad leaves, and she filled back out in general. I wonder in another day or so if she really perks up if I should do a final pruning to open up all the nodes to the light again.

I also forgot to empty the drain bucket underneath. I won't be able to test the run off pH accurately.

In order the plant is dry, +1 hour of watering, +12 hours of watering

Comment

🌱 Is it possible to move the lights up a little? It almost looks like the plant is yellowing in the places that are close to the light, which could be a sign they're being stressed by too much light (light burn). 🌱

Comment

• Randy2310
              Randy2310 commented
              Editing a comment
              We posted at the same time. I can go to home depot in the morning and get another bucket to make another spacer.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X